LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that sounds about right.

2. XenoC

XenoC Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay this is just me being a bit pedantic
    When in fact I agree with what you are saying.

Greek mythology does have an God of death but it certainly isn't Hades.
    While a very common misconception, Hades isn't the god of death but the ruler of the underworld, in other words he controls the after life, so he is the "God of the Dead" not the "God of death"
    Sounds close right? But it isn't the same.

The true God of death or better saying personification of death itself is Thanatos, son of Nix the night.
    Funnily enough if you are talking about death (not after life) in Greek mythology you should look into Nix lineage as almost 100% of the gods who rules over death related things are her descendents.

Another nice trivia, is that Hades wasn't considered a evil God, rather, it was common for people to pray for him at the time of planting the seeds and harvesting, because as he was the god of underworld, he had the power to help the plants grow better as the plants roots went underground which is his rule.

Hades is actually quite similar to Van if you look better, a God betrayed by the ones he trusted (Zeus and Poseidon), which had power over the dead and also helped the farmers, tho he was much grumpier than Van is XD

anon, Eddy andres, X07Zero and 3 others like this.
  3. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @XenoC yep, i was just using Death God and God of Death as a placeholder term. But will be interesting if he will be death or lord over the death at the end of the novel

4. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it will be God of Death, since that is how all the others are phrased, but that might be a language translation issue.

5. Mastine

Mastine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Given that he has been turning criminals into machines that gradually break down their sense of self. I'm a little surprised Enma isn't one of the jobs he has unlocked. Unless that is one that someone already knew of.

6. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of the Celestialsapien of Ben 10, basically omnipotent and omnient entities (although flanking due to the following) whose only weakness are themselves, because each member of the species develops, together with the conscience, two opposite personalities, which are in constant debate, agreeing on a few occasions (which end up involving changes in reality itself)

@XenoC, to, Thanatos , the name sounded to me, there is a boss of a game called Death gambit with a similar name, with that explanation now his role in the game makes more sense. I agree with Hades, although there is an incident of alleged rape (in some versions it was a consensual love affair) and the case of persephone (also debatable in some versions), it is true that although it is in the Hades myths, it is the most responsible of the brothers and the only Varon who was not a complete depraved

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    KageTokage likes this.
  7. Prion

Prion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's an interesting use of the Abyss skill.

9. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Any bets on who the old woman was, i don't think it was a Goddess, and i don't think a Spiritualist in another Dutchy would be here as an old adventurer...?

10. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    “I won’t call this an atonement, but I must fulfil my duty! I did expect that the enemy would strike when Vandalieu was not inside the city, but I never imagined that a horde of monsters would arrive without warning! But it matters not!” she told herself. “Come, beasts! I will not let you into the city! I’ll send you to a different place –”

she has to be someone who did something to Van or to someone Van considers family. The only thing i can think of is, she its really old or she became unnaturally old in which case the [I'll send you to a different place] line and the atonement makes me think reincarnator so Mao

11. Darquesse

Darquesse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By Mao, do you mean the girl with the storage power "ark," cause I think she left the continent.

12. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    based on the description of what happend after the troll attacked her it should be legion. bloodless flesh and thier counter would fit.
    but i can't make sense out of what she said.

mao was noa, the one that could transport things, right? she is on a different continent and wants to interact with van as little as possiblie, also there is no reason for her to be old.

it could also be one of the vampire that van got after his last win, but i will have to look into the way she addresses van if it is not -sama or something simular, it is unlikely to be one of the vampires. they are scared of van and would make sure they address him with respect.

also atonement for what? to van or the city? duty? what duty? (most likely to protect the city)
    "I did expect that the enemy would strike when Vandalieu was not inside the city". SHE expected the enemy, not van, so i guess van did not count her as part of his forces, which would be stange with what she is capable of, so she is most likely an outside force.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  13. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say its possible that she's the old spiritualist (dark elf?) that Van met in Niarki at the Hartner Duchy. She left the city after giving Van some information and a request to find the whereabouts of her acquaintance (inn keeper lady?). Van did end up killing that "small time villain that he could find anywhere" because that guy "killed the nameless girl that he could find anywhere."

Other than that... no clues.

14. tds

tds Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems clearly to be Legion using Ereshkigal's (sp?) power to me. She was part of the 8th Guidance that had the counter ability. Whatever damage happened to her also happened to the one who inflicted the damage. Hence when she was smushed into a cloud of blood, so was the Troll.

15. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    only reason i dismiss Legion as an option was 1) old woman 2) atonement. Now looking at the text the questions is she were to consider it atonement then 1) to whom 2) and for what? Something tells me she is a new character and she is unrelated to Van. My second guess is she is tied to the Lord [on whose sister was raped by minotaur] So her duty is the Dutch and to the Young Lady, as she failed to protect the Julia [duty].

either why we will have to wait and see

16. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that is not a bad idea, some of the spirits of julias subordinate might have told her. otherwise it would be hard for her to know, the head of the advanture guild and the earl want to pretend to not know of anything, so where else would she get the info from? randalf?
    based on what she said, she has somewhat detailed information on the situation, namely that van would be targeted. if she heard it from the spirits it would make sense.

17. Jay Corridor

Jay Corridor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, going off the discussion a couple days ago about Bashas and Nineroad, I wonder if this is someone who is related to Nineroad or something similar? A god or heroic spirit/individual who betrayed Vida maybe? The question if it is a god is how did they descend, but if it is something like a hero who has been actually living or slumbering for the hundred something thousand years? I don't quite think it is legion- as legion was stated to be near Vhan (though I believe Legion did get the ability to split at some point) and I don't remember if any of the individuals of legion are old- horribly disfigured yes, but not old.

Well. We'll find out in at least a few chapters... hopefully... And now I'm paranoid it's gonna be a character practically not mentioned for 20 chapters outside a couple side scenes...

anon, CountryMage and tkato like this.
  18. kagemao

kagemao Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think she's "atoning" for convincing the newbie adventurers that she's dying to buy them time. At least one of them was crying that they were leaving her behind.

When someone has exclamation marks at the end of every sentence, I assume Valkyrie. Maybe some of the fanatics might talk like that as well, but none that I associate with combat.

19. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    thats a good point, it could be a goddess, she would know Futin is an enemy, she did betray Vida so helping Van and protecting the town would be a form of atonement to Vida even if she doesnt want to ament it to herself

20. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the answer is the obvious one. When the old lady was smooshed it states that there were only fleshy bits, i.e. she had no bones. So it was Legion in disguise.

What I'm wondering is if Isis is a split body or if the 'old lady' the split version, with Legion's main body being in Isis' form?