Discussion Why obtaining immortality?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by yushiro, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not that you choose immortality over girls it's that they don't choose you. :blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool:

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Because calling everyone grandson is win.

Halcyon Observer, monmon2005 and Reak like this.
  3. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Have anyone of felt what it's like to save absolute authority,it is one of the greatest if not greatest pleasure on life,being a literal god is the biggest authority fantasy,
    Also I get to murder every dipshit u hate is the most amazing feeling ever.

4. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, its understandable if the MC or villain wants to be immortal, not that difficult to understand, a lot of people desire that. But still its kinda bland and uninteresting of a goal to use in a novel.

5. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you truly missed the point, is not about being a robot, is letting all those things to be done after becoming a immortal so it don't distract yourself of the "end goal", is like a real world lifestyle "ultimate challenge" with a little "spicy of fantasy-magical powers setting" so instead of : study hard, focus on your career,get a good job, be successful and then enjoy the benefits of life!!!! you get "become immortal ". since in a world with magical powers becoming "the almighty immortal" is the "perfect job-husband card" and the ultimate lifestyle "challenge". .
    after becoming immortal, chicks will pop up with a snap of your finger, and the most important of it all there is not gonna be a rich young master to rob-steal take her away from you.
    because you will be the rich young master now and now the cycle is complete, waiting for a new MC to be born and destroy everything you accomplished in your life.
    now that i took the young master joke out of my system, i can keep on:
    being the perfect "husband" with perfect job that makes real money, and getting the perfect princess wife, may not really be something that people take as serious in the western world or at least shows in the open (because who i'm trying to cheat? everyone wants a perfect husband-wife) but in the eastern is a super big deal and taken a lot more serious, is like i wrote before : the "ultimate lifestyle/mission challenge".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    yushiro, Blank-1 and l2ose like this.
  6. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah, indeed in xianxia most of the time the biggest difference between the protagonist and villain is plot armour

7. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a time when i thought that i have to be immortal to know what is one piece.

Anra7777 likes this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You are looking at things all wrong. In general, humans reproduce for the survival of the species. When one turns immortal, that becomes irrelevant in its own sense. It's also not that they don't have feelings, its just simply different. Most seek immortality for power or to extend their lifespan. Because in a cultivator world, being weak is pretty much being dead.

As for coping with it, have you not noticed? When you were small, a day would last forever. As you grow older, you find the world more and more boring, but you aren't exactly bored. Effectively, your mind filters out the boring things, thus your perception of time changes. To someone who lives a million years, thousands of years will pass in no time.

9. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    Please, living forever while being distant from people, plus, given that you have gain immortality, your strength speak for you, no one will try stupid sh*t with you.... It is, i say, PERFECTION

10. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    It's still a bit understandable, humans feel insecure to the unknown and death is one of them. There's a saying that after dying it would be like this, it would be like that, bla bla bla, but one could only be sure if they experience it themselves. Then what about those who got reincarnated? Are you sure they would be guaranteed to get reincarnated for the second time?
    For weakling, death maybe not sound so bad, but for those who got status, wealth and power, they wouldn't want to be apart with it because they love their world and the assets that they had gained by their efforts in their lifetimes

Halcyon Observer likes this.
  11. NoxDobber

NoxDobber 『Resident Dark God』

Reading List:
    Link
    The true reason to become immortal is to being able to see the end of One Piece.

12. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Imperiestro and Voromir like this.
  13. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think at first, it starts off as a goal to be stronger and above nearly everyone else. But, once they achieve that, holding a lot of power and being above most, it simply becomes an obsession in my view.

They can't imagine a life where the glory would slip away, so might as well become an immortal!

14. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    I have the Perfect saying for this:" The Grass is always Greener on the Other Side". The point is in Many Novel is often, that they Cultivate to obtain Immortality to Live longer than other or to not be under another (as in Power). Other cases are (where they drop Love) that they Cultivate with all they Mind focused on Cultivating Alone or one will pass the best Time of Cultivating (In most cases around 15-25 Years old) in some Novels, but this is very much Bullshit in my opinion. Cultivation Novel often mention that to Cultivate you need Mental Strenght and build up experience, even in cases of Problems not to give up and even with Burdens on the Shoulders not to let it affect the Heart and Continue to step Forward (Love is something like this in Many Novels).

yushiro likes this.
  15. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking the same but with like food. You don't just eat your 10,000th pizza slice and decide you're tired of pizza forever and are never having it again.

16. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    let's wait until you're on your death bed and see if you still have the same opinion.

nobody wants to die, furthermore, nobody ever thinks to themselves, "hm, I've lived long enough, might as well just die"

Imperiestro likes this.
  17. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it is difficult to truly know the effect of immortality on the human mind since well... no one has ever had it.
    Scholars are divided. Some think that immortality would lead you to go crazy, such a long amount of time just being too much for us. Others think that we would adapt.

I think immortality sought out would not lead someone to go crazy but thats just me.

As to your question. Some people in life seek out different things. For some power is the only thing that is important and romance has no part in their life. Just because you don't get it doesnt mean there aren't people who are like that.

It is a fantasy Novel. They also live in a society of other immortals, people with the same desires as themselves goes a long way.

For alot of people the desire is to become strong enough to be completely free. To do whatever their heart desires. Also protect X from Y which is a common route most stories take.

To experience more, to see more. To be a part of more.
    As long as you are a linear being through time and not a being who exists in every moment of time everywhere.... then there is always more to experience and see.

The instinctual goal of any creature should be to give themselves the environment to live forever or reproduce.
    Now we are sentient which can mess this up alot but you do see it in nature with creatures that aren't sentient. Aka, intelligent enough to ponder life and death.

yushiro likes this.
  18. Mordreth

Mordreth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So that millions of years later, after the Sun goes super nova, you can get a nice tan and float around in space pondering the mysteries of manscaping.

19. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    you want to use god as your hammer, but god thinks cultivating is blasphemy and witch craft. and you who seek immortality a heretic. XD[​IMG]

20. Imperiestro

Imperiestro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I see the poeple around me and know that they'll be dead makes me sad, but when I think if I can achieve immortality I just think "wow, these people will die, but not me, I'll make their lifes with me the better I can". But I'm just a mortal, so I give up and pass the days reading and studying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.