Discussion Curious about silkpants in China...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ner0, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read many, many novels describing the arrogant young masters of conglomerates and powerful families in Chinese novels and the theme is recurrent in many different genres.
    So I'm curious, are there a lot of scandals in China about those egoistical, stupid pampered scions?

2. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it is not only China's rich scions problem

Rich scions tend to be assholes everywhere though

MrSplashy, Lazriser and KizunaAi like this.
  3. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they're common on every country's oligarchs and socialites, and not just China, lol.

4. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just that those figures suppossedly do not exist in China (spoiler: they do) and are advertised as the enemy. They still do whatever and get scot free, but the media coverage there is stronger at the start and more misinformative at the end.

5. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    I watch in youtube that there are rich chinese acting arrogant with no manners on foriegn lands. I think it's possible to be real with all the disgusting chinese tourist that are considered to be the worst type. For some reason mainlanf chinese are arrogant and annoying mostly because their culture and religion is destroyed.

MrSplashy likes this.
  6. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? When I read some webnovels where the writer describe the silkpants as a stupid, egoistical, retarded fellow, it almost seem like the author has something personal against them.
    The silkpants become the most irritating enemy of the MC and there's often the classes conflict being shown as unfair, with the families of those rich scions being evil and full of schemes.

Never saw this much coverage in the western world. Wondered if there a lot of stories soaked in injustice in China about the poor vs the tyrannic wealthy class.

Found this quote in another similar topic, I'm getting curious about China's society and culture but I really don't want to dive into this toxic pit:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    mir likes this.
  7. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno, I've met quite a few mainland Chinese and they weren't arrogant or annoying or anything. I think it's more of an individual kinda thing.

8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoken from experience?

9. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I went to HongKong this January and it's normal to see sport cars speeding up in the traffic. When we were walking back to our hotel, there seems to be a traffic debacle and this rich scion is loudly arguing with a taxi driver. They're both loud and nobody is backing down, I can't really understand them but they both return to their cars like they know they're just wasting their time.

The guy looks like your average Joe, a bit on the chubby side wearing a casual shirt and jeans while there's a hot girl wearing a dress with some studs that glitters on the passenger seat of his Tesla. Ngl I was expecting a tall handsome man with good physique as they described it.

MrSplashy, Ner0 and mir like this.
  10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There aren't really a lot of scandals but most 'silkpants' are known as 'fuerdai' and they are pretty boastful of their money.

Boasting is pretty ingrained in Asian countries, be it for your son's grades, your husband's job, and more so your own money. In a nutshell, there are indeed tons of young mansters that go around throwing their money for you to see.

If my memory is not that bad, a few years ago the internet was pretty otraged at someone burning through stacks of money worth several tens or hundreds of thousands of $ just to flex.

Ner0 likes this.
  11. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my knowledge, in the western world, I only know MrBeast as a rich scion doing stupid stuff with his money.
    In a recent video on youtube (which I don't pay attention to) he puts this title: "I Bought The World's Largest Firework ($600,000)"
    It has 38 millions views but the top comments are all like this:
    "He’s gonna have great stories to tell his grandkids"
    "imagine people at a mile away and just seeing "burger" being spelled out in the distance all of a sudden"
    "Plot twist: Aliens saw this and now they're on their way to check it out."
    "This is how millionaires celebrate 4th of July."

Most people find him amusing. While, some others just treat him as a spoiled kid burning his parents money.

But no one would bother writing a story about him or using him as a character in a novel.

Wonder why Asians pay so much attention to spoiled kids if there are no corruption scandals about them.
    To be honest, I really believed that the horrifying stories about the fuerdai described in the webnovels were happening and common in China.
    Those stories of young masters raping students and paying their family money to silence them. Of their connexions to gangs and using them to threaten people. Of basically using money to abuse people and never be condemned for it.

12. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. Its partly true but you are pretty mistaken bro.

MrBeast was basically a middle class kid that got famous on youtube and began earning stupid amounts of money so he reinvests that money on his videos. If you dig around a bit you can see from his very old videos that he wasn't rich at all 4-5 years ago.

(He considered his first paycheck of 1k $ as a lot of money back then)

The only money he's wasting is his alone lul.

MrSplashy and Ner0 like this.
  13. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!

14. Boogiepop_PK

Boogiepop_PK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this happened due to the chinese value and political reason.

China used to run the “one child system”, and as continue to this days where us, the chinese, still value man more important than woman. They really have a custom of spoiling their so call “young master” extremely in the old day, like they are the only child in this bloody world.

Make mistake, well it must not be the child fault, it must be the teachers or school. Did a crime , there is an old saying in China “Money can even make a ghost to do your bidding ”. So yeah corruption to get them out.

The child must get everything the best, even paper and pen if they are lucky to be born in a rich family.

While now is “two child system”, how do people get another child in the past system? Welp, money is a thing.

15. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Arrogant spoiled young master makes me never want to go to china in my life also it ruined my image of china(not like my image of china been ruined already tho cause their corrupted government and culture). Rich family child abusing their parent's power and influence is a real thing, just read redbull founder ceo who got away scott free after killing a police officer with his super car