Discussion Dropping interesting novels. Why?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Shadowdrop, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeZach90

eyeZach90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes the stuff im in the mood for changes. Those i usually come back to.after a while (e.g. Dungeon Defence)

2. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This, this is exactly it!!!! Especially when the leads get together and have this perfecly-sweet relationship, but there is still half of the story left and I feel like the author will either smother me with how much they are obsessed with one another or add some angst and drama to make sure it's not monotonous. And I want neither of these!
    I think the biggest problem is that some authors use the downtime in the plot to resolve romantic subplot's conflicts, but in the end the problems are resolved and there is nothing much going on in the plot either, so there is a gap where nothing is actively hooking the reader's interest, making in a good place to stop.

Fulminata likes this.
  3. Muspon

Muspon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    shit i do that all the time i do come back to them if they are good i did it multiple times to Lotm

4. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I'm guilty of this with novels I even enjoy, like ISSTH and Trash of the Count's Family and Heroic Death System. I know the story's worth reading, I enjoy the developments, but I suddenly lose all motivation to continue. Sometimes this lasts for weeks, other times months or even years.

It doesn't bother me though, because sometimes the urge to binge comes back. So I just spend my time reading other novels and doing other hobbies until the desire hits again.

5. Nazgand

Nazgand New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have over 100 stories I am *ahem* "READING", yet I have a "High Priority" list.

6. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been having issues with politics these days. I've been reading a lot of random amateur fiction and quite often some weird social/political commentary would pop up for no real reason. Like someone could be neck deep in murder hobo time, and there's some weird mention of (I don't want to mention the names of certain politicians.. but you know who lmao) for literally no reason, both for AND against. Any time I try to mention how immersion breaking it is, I either get blasted by author, people in the comments or have a weird twitter-tier rant levied against me. And god help you if you are dumb enough to complain in a discord about it.
    So I've pretty much given up on even bothering and just close the page now since there is no good way to do it without being called an evil person. It sucks because some of these stories are fun, but when someone unironically gets upset about a character assuming the gender of an evil monster, I just... yeah, no. wtf even happening in this timeline? Is there is no escape?

7. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What you feel rn is my signature. XD

I usually drop interesting novels when the translation is taking too long, or the novel itself is milking an arc for some easy chapters. I don't even read LNs for the plot anymore, as long as the dialogues and character interactions are fun to read, then I'm in.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely finish novels, because I only like when my mc is struggling. When they get op or get the girl/boy of their life there's no more struggling so become boring to me.
    For something like one punch man, its ok for him to be op since the story mainly about other people and saitama struggle with depression so that kind of struggling is good for me too.

9. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a bad habit of making a prediction about what will happen next and then not wanting to continue reading because I didn't like the prediction I made. Then most of the time I force myself to keep reading I was wrong or the author somehow made what I predicted interesting. :notlikeblob:

10. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that is one of my reasons, too! Or if someone spoiled something - I dropped way too many novels because of a tiny spoiler that I didn't like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.