Ads 101: Active View Viewable

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Another thread another nonsense about ads. I am sure people saw the Centinni drama thread
    Someone was claiming that they paid translators the usual rate of $0.50 per 1,000 views.
    Which is total rubbish and impossible if you do the math.
    1,000 views does not mean you earn for each view, only 500 views might earn which means 50% Active View Viewable or only 100 which means 10% Active View Viewable if you are unlucky

• Active View Viewable: The percentage of impressions that were viewable, out of all measurable impressions.

All viewable ads are measurable, because you can't confirm that an ad has met the criteria for viewability unless it can be measured. For example, say the ads on your site had 100 measurable impressions. That means there were 100 impressions where Active View tags were able to measure viewability. If only 10 of those 100 impressions were measured as viewable, then the site would have 10% Active View Viewability. This metric only includes impressions from regular AdSense for content, AdSense for video and AdSense for games ad units, it doesn't include data from link units, or data from dynamic allocation in Google Ad Manager.
    https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/3481946?ctx=tltp&hl=en
    This is why websites prefer donations

[​IMG]

If you have 1,000 views Adsense might consider only 500 to be worth paying for
    So you only earn from 50% of your views
    So even if you get 2 million views only 1 million views will get you any money.
    So people claiming that they pay translators per view is rubbish.
    It is possible to get only 10% of your ads earning.
    So paying per view is ridiculous

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. moneng85

moneng85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you forgot to add people nowadays have ad-block though(not me , i support transaltors, and thats also why i need to delete my cache every week or so)

Slayerwolfx2 and Wujigege like this.
  3. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    I learned something new today. Thank you.
    And now back to eating popcorn.

Slayerwolfx2 and Wujigege like this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    look money grabber super stingy website owner da one and only @Wujigege create a thread!
    let see how many will bash it later!
    based on nuf is history hmm this cat bet 1 nuffies for popcorn eater will pop up!

that only adsense how about other service?
    don't be stingy!
    19668.png

Myriadfold, Kiki0246, Shio and 2 others like this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a standard used by all ad networks

asriu likes this.
  6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    you might as well have been posting in some obscure regional chinese dialect because i couldnt make heads or tails of that post.:notlikeblob::blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy:

Myriadfold likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have 1,000 views Adsense might consider only 500 to be worth paying for
    So you only earn from 50% of your views
    So even if you get 2 million views only 1 million views will get you any money.
    So people claiming that they pay translators per view is rubbish.
    It is possible to get only 10% of your ads earning.
    So paying per view is ridiculous

8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Why didnt you put it that way in the first place?:hmm:

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Βut then... How do you guys get your millions of dollars?

I swear you purchased a Lamborghini last week! How do you explain that?

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha a man can dream

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  11. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bullshit post. Volare, Wuxiaworld, ISO, and many other sites do use total pageviews to calculate how much to pay translators who are/were on ad revenue sharing. Yes, in calculating translator pay we could do things like excluding adblock, etc., which would lower the amount we have to pay out, but we don't, because it raises issues of transparency and creates the potential for dishonesty. Apparently, you do, even though you pay out at a lower rate.

So let's take a case where a novel has 1000 total pageviews, according to Google Analytics. On average, factoring in CPC, eCPM, CPM, active views, and all of that, the site can maybe make $0.70/1000 pageviews. Let's say 40% of those are adblocked, so 600 non-adblocked views. ISO pays translators based on total pageviews, so 1000 x $0.50, ie 50 cents. You, however, pay at most 600 x $0.30 (since you claim your take-home RPM is around $0.10 to $0.30, and I can't see you being willing to lose money), ie 18 cents.

In the end, it's just dollar and cents. The cleaner and simpler the math is, the better. Don't suggest everyone is as cheap as you in order to make yourself look better. There are many sites that can afford to pay more, because they don't have shit business models that results in shit earnings.

12. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    My site usually earn $0.20-$0.22 per 1k views* using Google Adsense, and my monthly page views are about the same ISO. I've never come close to reaching $.50 per 1k views in the past 2 years. A little bit tempted to apply to ISO now as a translator seeing their rates =).

*In april, it was $0.14 per 1k views.

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried to point it out but I get attacked by Wuxiaworld as freaking out.
    ISO uses Premium Ads, I am guessing it from Ezoic.
    You can apply to Ezoic and might replicate the same earnings.
    I used them previously but they made too many demands.
    The biggest issue was that it was not sustainable for me.
    Their platform works best for when a group of translators aggregate their translations on one website.
    This guarantees steady high traffic.
    I pay per chapter. I cannot match their volume.
    Ezoic doesn't allow use of other ad networks too.
    When I added my current Google Ad earnings and other ad networks that Ezoic blocked
    I made pretty much the same with less stress.
    You should apply for Google Ad Manager/Google Ad Exchange
    I use Monetizemore as the platform manager.
    It is similar to Ezoic but less strict
    Infolinks seem to have improved their platform and it earns well now.
    I only use their Sticky Ad at the bottom of my page and I get a few hundred dollars every month.
    Which is pretty good for one single ad
    I can't find my infolinks affiliate link haha
    There are other platforms like Sovrn, DistrictM and others that I have tried or they promise high earnings and others have verified but Monetizemore is just more relaxing to use.
    It is more like talking to buddies. Monetizemore also lets me run my own Ad network.
    They take 15% but they do 90% of the work
    https://www.monetizemore.com/sign-up/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Fuyuneko likes this.
  14. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Pyon

Pyon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the way you run things is not sustainable, perhaps you should consider changing your business model so that it’ll allow for better business practices. Weren’t you an expert on business? This is business 101, adapting to changing situations rather than pointing fingers at people and calling them liars.

16. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, come here! We want youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :3

I use Ezoic personally, the ad revenue I get from them is a better than using pure adsense. If you want to try their network, you can DM me (Kiki#6574) and I can help you get it set up. Oh and I can beg you to use my referral code :3 haha.

Also, one of the things my ad manager told me is that I have a pretty high rate since readers are on the chapter pages for a long time, making the ads more valuable.

EDIT: I didn't plan on replying because debating's kinda a waste of time, everyone has different experinces. BUT, I did want to mention that I've kept my rate even before premium. Premium only makes me an extra $100. I'm also not sure what you meant by demands from Ezoic? I just love them for their amazing customer service.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  17. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me start by saying that early COVID was MURDER. Even WW was getting something like $0.20-$0.30 for a good part of that month.

So there's a couple of factors here, but the main thing is that you need to get multiple different ad networks that are 'bidding' for the same slot. Even when I first started and was doing all the ads on WW by myself when I was the only translator on it, I had at least five or six different advertising networks set up in a 'waterfall' pattern (look up 'waterfall advertising'), which is the poor man's version of 'header bidding'. If you are using just one ad network, that's the equivalent of basically putting up your advertising inventory for sale in just one location. It is a fuckton of work to learn how it operates, but it is worth it I promise!

There are also a lot of different factors, like how many ads you have, what ad types and shapes you have, and what locales your readers are from; US-based readers have ads that pay great, SEA readers have ads that basically pay nothing. Quality also impacts this; the higher quality your translations are, the more likely that you will attract a higher quality readerbase, which results in better ad revenue (and donations et. al.).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Myriadfold, Pyon and Fuyuneko like this.
  18. Pyon

Pyon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, it’s almost like conducting proper business results in a win-win situation for everbody.

Why did I think of that? You’re a genius Ren!

[​IMG]

Myriadfold likes this.
  19. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds like a hint to
    1. choose novels with long chapters
    2. not splitting the chapters.

:hmm:

Myriadfold, Parth37955 and LaDyViL like this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    1 Only works for those who don't pay translators per word since a chapter can run up to $100
    2 One size fits all doesn't work because I am sure many are aware of sites who use slides to increase their ad revenue.

What works for one website won't work for another.
    Expecting every website to copy you is just dumb especially when they lack your resources eg Number of translators.
    Ads is a volume business at the end of the day.
    A site releasing 1,000 chapters a month will have a better RPM than one releasing 30 if all things stay equal.
    Splitting chapters into parts solves the volume issue but most importantly ads do not load 100% of the time.
    If a long chapter fails to render ads then you earn zero.
    If that chapter is split into 3 parts then one out of the three would render.

In summary, pick what works for you.
    But the saddest truth is that donations are better.
    Its better to aim for donations than ad revenue that's what all experts will tell you.

I just like to dream. I like to dream that a website that has zero donations but only ads will be sustainable