News A reply from Centinni

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Arzvak, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not WP, making a new website using node and stuff. Making a react app, basically using a lot of services, haven't really chose AWS Lamda yet, vercel and cloudflare functions are also on the list.

2. TheGreatStick

TheGreatStick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Srsly, just kill this thread.

Nour-aldene, DjB1 and Blu De Blob like this.
  3. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, we switched off VPS ages ago, we're on a very expensive Amazon AWS setup these days.

4. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought you're talking about Centinni's current site...

Vercel is mostly a static hosting since they rebrand from Zeit now, so you might as well compare to Netlify for that as you can still use AWS Lambda or Cloudflare Workers (I assume you're referring to Workers when you're talking CF functions). I'm using Netlify currently so I can't say much about Vercel, but for $20/month plan they have 1TB hardlimit bandwith, so for pricing in the long run Vercel is maybe the best option right now--though if you're keen on experimenting with static site generators later on, Netlify is a good choice since their build plugin is pretty good.

If you're not using relying too much on AWS ecosystem, I'd recommend to invest on CF Workers since they have pretty good (I mean, really good) built-in Cache API in their functions, even for free-tier--which, if you don't mind paying a bit more, KV Workers is even more awesome. I'm even using free-tier CF Workers as bootstrap webp-transformation image resizing CDN right now, which normally is quite expensive if relying third-party Image CDN services like Cloudinary (even Cloudflare's own image resizing is pretty expensive and only available for paid users). Add that to the fact that CF Workers spread on 200 point of presence, and their recent improvement on significantly reducing their functions' coldstart--Workers is one of the best value/perf option for serverless functions in the market right now. Though, for pass free-tier usage, 128 ram AWS Lambda can outperform Workers in pricing department, if you're not counting CPU usage and only doing lightweight stuff on Lambda.

So I misunderstand again, my bad, you were talking about when WW was still using WP, I reckon? I checked on your site WW when it was already moved to the new setup.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's more of a JAM stack kind of website, making api calls and displaying so stuff so we need to use different things. Right now using GraphQL and also Render and DO spaces, it's going pretty well. I'll check out CF again! Also need to pay for databases and other stuff as well lol. But thanks a lot for this info!!!! Although for CF workers, they have a limit of upto 30 workers?

6. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, specifically when I first launched in Dec 2014. A year or so after that, we went through various dedicated barebones rack servers, and eventually we switched to AWS, which costs a helluva lot more but does come with benefits.

7. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, they do have 30 workers limit as for right now. Their perf is pretty good but they also come with limitation, mainly about CPU execution time limit (which will be unlocked in their upcoming new service). They also have 1mb deploy codebase limitation, so if you plan to use large npm packages, it's a good idea to use Webpack to threeshake your code before deploying your Workers.

However, I don't see why it's a problem if you're not a CF Workers power user. I have several side projects on Workers but I'm not even spawning more than 10 Workers. If you're planning to use Workers a lot it's a good idea to familiar yourself with routing instead of spawning additional Workers as you make more API endpoints, even simple URL pathname checks will do. Even if you still hit that limit, you can still make a new account and start all over again (though you might pay for $5/month subscription twice if you do that).

It's certainly pay off. I did a benchmark for a few months and found amongst novel websites WW has the most performant server response time right now, if not comparing to jamstack sites which is very rare in webnovel community. (WW has average around 500ms time to first byte, while slow websites can take up to 8 seconds).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.