Discussion Dropped Stories with interesting concepts

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Darius Drake, Aug 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few stories out there that never get told, and many that get started but left behind for various reasons. I started reminiscing about some of the interesting, or potentially interesting, stories that got left behind by their writer, and thought that it might be a good subject to bring up here.

This thread is to talk about stories that someone else started, but ended up being dropped by their author either after they introduced their concept but far before they started towards it, or before the story was able to showcase the full potential of their story.

Please do NOT just link to the dropped story, give information on why the story felt so promising to you before it was dropped.

For example:
    Second Chance was a story I read that collapsed before the author was able to start towards their concept, and I felt it was an interesting one. "Classes" gained upon reaching adulthood that gives access to magical abilities and potential, where the MC ends up with a "blue mage" class that can learn 3 active spells and 99 passive spells at a time. The weakness of the class is that while it has a way to learn active spells, it doesn't have any way to learn passive spells, and, as a "blue mage", they need to learn their active spells by watching animals use their spells repeatedly. So most consider this a "fail" class, even weaker than the average "commoner" class equivalent. Apart from the story revolving around the MC actively seeking (and discovering just before the story was put onto hiatus) an active skill from insects that would allow him to learn Passive Skills, the other concept of this story that was interesting was the introduction. The MC was reincarnated into another world, yes, but he wasn't hit by a bus, or anything like that. No, the MC had been dying, and decided to risk the promise of a death-box made by the creator of some of the most horrifically brutal games known. That is to say, you could easily screw over your character due to choices made in CHARACTER CREATION. And, even if you didn't make any "wrong" choices, there was few enough choices that you could afford that the RNG could still screw you, and you actively needed to make several "safety" choices. This carried over into the Character Creation for the MC's (and other users of the Death Box) Reincarnation, and, yeah. An interesting start to an Isekai that I have yet to see be redone.

The other one I thought of was Dungeon Games. In this story, AI have advanced enough to become true AI. However, there are no deep-dive VRMMO, instead, an accident developed a virtual world simulator where players (humans) manage their own Habitat to develop purchased races depending on how they've raised them, which are then can be used to fight the residents of other such Habitat's in Arena Tournaments. Basically, think the Digimon Pet Toy taken to the next level, where you're literally building a Digimon Society from scratch. The first arc was all about the MC building up their Virtual Reality Society, and we had just been introduced to the second arc where the MC started competing in a tournament... only for the author to drop it before the end of the tournament.

Klazy Labbit likes this.
  2. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm.... King of the battlefield? Such a nice read till the 200s. But after that ig the author gave up on the series for some reason n the story became less than average... Idk why... It had so much potential. It could have become one of the top KR novels...

Also IRAS... ik some ppl don't like this novel but those who do, like me, love it.
    I think probs everybody knows why it was dropped... Or more like banned.... Ah china... Why do u hate us so much(I'm joking... Gonna give me a head ache if u take this seriously)

Also invisible dragon... I heard author was planning to continue with the story but ig the world just wasn't ready for something so..... Idk... what's 10000x great?

Sorry. I can't help myself. At this point i have to make an ID joke... It's like I'm cursed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020
    OuO likes this.
  3. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    Why was it banned? I thought the author would still be milking the cow.

4. The Punisher

The Punisher The Order

Reading List:
    Link
    to racist even for china lol and alot of copyright infringements

5. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh.....

Can i include my own original stories? Since while i drop a lot, i actually had so many interesting concept which i dropped due to some circumstances.... *cough*Procrastination*Cough*

Xaos and The Punisher like this.
  6. The Punisher

The Punisher The Order

Reading List:
    Link
    that and all the bad talks about the SARFT got the story banned

lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020
  7. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Western Webnovels are littered with great dropped stories.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/12563/artisan
    Artisan. A superhero VRMMORPG story where the MC is an alien AI with no real body. It's probably the reason I decided to read stories like Superminion and Vaudevillain hoping that they could catch the same feeling. It has a unique MC, the world building makes it interesting, and the characters aren't a pain.

There's puddles4263's other two stories The Great Tower and Vast Marital World. The Great Tower is a lot like The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound but with a completely different setting behind it. Lots of unique abilities and lots of fights with an OP MC but who has a completely different cheat and skill set than Randidly. Oh, the concept. Humanity is dragged into a death system type situation and they can trade something about themselves for power. He trades his identity and gets something of a devouring type ability. He builds up biomass and can then randomize his stat and skill growth to another races' depending on how much he had.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/8776/vast-martial-world
    Vast martial world is an actual cultivation novel. But it's a computer game and the MC is the sect ancestor who plays by managing the sect. Randidly is basically a cultivation story so it would be awesome to see the author make a legit one. He didn't write much of it but the few chapters he did make showed a promising start.

Darius Drake likes this.
  8. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    That's fine, so long as you don't just give the blurb of the story, and explain why you consider the concept that had been in the written to be interesting. Not what you were planning on doing, but what was actually put out there for people to publicly read. EVERY unfinished story has "interesting future plot points", particularly to it's the writer, but the number that can be seen from what's been released, or already has something interesting in what has been released, is actually limited in scope.

I also want to complain about Raidou99 not giving any explanations as to what the "interesting concepts" for the stories he listed were, merely mentioning them offhandedly. I did ask for you to give information on why you felt it was promising, and Raidou99 didn't.

IrregularPerson likes this.
  9. shadowreader

shadowreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since when did china care about copyrights

10. The Punisher

The Punisher The Order

Reading List:
    Link
    if not for the talks about the SARFT it could have still be here

11. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I see...

Well, first would be:

My Otherworld Switch. A novel which was i plan on developing but dropped due to... Uh... Busy. Its main premise was taken from a novel and it starts out the MC being born but sees two sides. He soon finds out he could control two bodies which are place in different worlds. The main gimmick was that he/she is able to switch bodies in their own world as the main struggle would be having to deal with their identities at some point.

A Psychopath's journey in another world. A dark novel which takes place of a famous serial murderer dead and transported into another world. The criminals are given the amnesia and are brainwashed to become good. Yet, the MC brokes free of the brainwash and soon started journey the world to continue his profession.

The SuperVillian's Otherworld Takeover. Same treatment. The novel is about a supervillian who was supposed to win had lost due to friendship power and ended up dying and sent to another world as a slave. He not only takes over the slave buisiness and controls the other slaves, he begins his plan on taking over the fantasy world by combining magic and science and even plans on coming back to earth and get revenge.

Hero for Hire. This is actually an old novel i have and was probably unique at time due to the MC. The novel starts out the princess getting a former hero to teach the new batch of transported heroes. He is selfish, insane and only trust money. Even when the MC and the heroes are from the same world, he treated them a bit nicely but is still a dick to them. Turns out that before he became OP, he was only a kid who can only revive and due to being weak, the former king tortures and experiment the MC which broke his mind. Even taking revenge and to kill the demon king, he ended up falling for the demon king's daughter and when he had the power to return, he finds out that his existence there was gone and decided to stay. But the goddess was batshit crazy and kills the MC's lover which his mind so broken, he lost trust in everything. I only dropped to the part where he had actually a plan to kill the goddess. The ending was supposed to be that the MC kills the goddess but due to her blessing in giving the MC infinite spawns was gone, he would soon die. And he bids everyone goodbye as he sang the same song his lover had before she disappears while sitting next to her grave and finally resting peacefully.

I think there's more but i kinda forgot most of them.

IrregularPerson and Xaos like this.
  12. magecraft_unleashed

magecraft_unleashed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the breath of creation (royal road)

13. Klazy Labbit

Klazy Labbit Peko peko peko~

Reading List:
    Link
    Try ouroboros circus oubenials record
    Dungeon defense....I will think of more later.

14. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah... Something about Disney and legal stuff.

15. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me that would be: Yuusha Yori Saikyouna Kuro Kishi. Actually I just can't wait for the MC to reunite with her childhood friend & just smack/smash/annihilate him. May not be the best isekai story from the writing style, but this has good future prospect, especially for typical story of hero summoning.
    And this one too: Third Prince Elmer. Once again, this may not be the best dropped story and some parts are a bit stretched for me, but I just want to see the continuation of it, and (once again) the story is promising enough to me.

Translators dropped their translations is quite sad, but not as much as the author themselves who dropped their story for various reasons:blobsad: (even more if the author couldn't continue the story because they already passed away and left the story discontinued... like Tintin and How to Live as Enemy Prince gahhh now I feel like crying :blobsob:)

16. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm embarrassed. I thought this was a writer's discussion. If anyone is curious about a reason why a good concept is dropped, sometimes an amazing "brain fart" comes and gives directions for beginning, middle arc, or end BUT not always together or just some parts. And with how much details people want to write, some ideas end up getting forgotten the next time the story is revisited. Aside from motivation, people can just be at a loss at how their character should act from there-on. That is more than enough reason to drop a story, I have friends that have concepts but struggles with decent names...
    I'm constantly at a point where I have a general idea on how I want characters to act, what actions they should take but I enjoy writing their thought processes and what phrases they would say at the moment. At times, those derail the story because their not part of the original concept. Getting their is a process.
    Also, I'm very sad for an BL Isekai. It's the only novel I've encountered that was dropped. I don't know the reason why but basically a typical teen is sent to another world with the hopes of starting a harem, he ends up in a world where no women exists. The smut was passable BUT the world building was solid. The character's could have used more work, MC was cringe.

18. lazilygrinningcat

lazilygrinningcat Cookie Thief

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    And i just made a thread about this lol...
    1.My own story, real life happened..
    2. Fanfictuon about Thor and Loki of Marvel going to a Xianxia world. Dripped because author went missing.(I really need another one like this if anyone can reccomend)

:blob_teary:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.