Discussion why doesn't BL novels ever consider test tube babies?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kumo723, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuki Yuuki

Chuki Yuuki *lags in reading but keep farming in games*

Reading List:
    Link
    Like most of the users above, most BL couples are possessive of each other and doesn't want any woman (that includes any woman's body part such as egg cell or genes) to be in the way. That's why for those BL who doesn't have an mpreg setting, they just content thenselves with their love or some just consider adoption if they really want a child.

2. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    i did soe research on this stuff, actually, they ERASE/NOT INCLUDE the surrogate's DNA in the baby so the baby wouldnt have the surrogate's dna at all. not sure how that work tho

and im talking about the novels that isn't MPreg or ABO

3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    So, the kid is a clone...?

4. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2020
  5. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    That is what clones are. Genetically identical to the progenitor. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clone

Just read the first part and yeah, the surrogate won’t share the DNA, but I think there has to be female DNA in there somewhere, or the child is a clone. But I’ll continue reading the article to find out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2020
  6. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    no not a clone bc theres 2 set of dna, the two dad's dna

7. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    I finished the article and it talked about using the DNA of the intended parents. My understanding is that with our current medical knowledge and technology, it is simply not possible for a child to have genetically two male parents, but I could be wrong about that.

Alvastar and Kumo723 like this.
  8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not. Our mitochondria, basically our energy producing organelles, are purely maternal in origin. 2 males won't have it. Any male/male pairing, beyond the obvious lack of compatible analogs with eggs, won't have any energy producing structures at all.

Simple. There is no sex between the surrogate mother and the father so there is no way genetic material is going to be included in the baby. Just because they inject an already fertilized egg into the surrogate's endometrial lining does not mean DNA will suddenly jump into the egg any more than bukkake will get you pregnant.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  9. GregLikesBooks

GregLikesBooks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Investment Life does have surrogates. But it's near the end and not a huge part of it.
    Also, you'd have to read the MTL version since not much of it is translated.

10. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that some portion of BL novels are fantasy or futuristic, technically, it should be easy for these authors to create a test tube alternative that avoids all the test-tube related problems mentioned above.
    But when you have domineering/powerful/sexy/genius and all-kinds-of-swoon-worthy main characters, it's not easy to make them become clueless parents of a screaming/peeing/pooping angel without breaking their character. When it comes to a peerless little shou type, it has a risk of becoming a what's-the-point-of-him-being-a-guy type of character, basically a girl with a boy's PP. And then they still have to function as a couple, despite the fact that they might need to go change the diapers mid-smut? This stuff is not easy to write!

.Lance and Kumo723 like this.
  11. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

.Lance likes this.
  12. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They didn't say gender, didn't they? From some brief reading, what I got was they're referring to instances where the parent that used a surrogate is a mom and a dad, a gestational surrogate. A dad and a dad requires traditional surrogate where an egg is donated.

13. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Butt babies... I've seen dick baby thin book, butt babies too.

14. NovelReaderAnonymous

NovelReaderAnonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk why there need to be so much debate over how viable it is when its all fiction. Author can just make it so its possible in the world of the novel and be done with it. They don't have to explain why it works just that it works, god isn't that what 1/2 Prince did? Like at the end of t he first part the MC get married but she doesn't have to give birth so out of no where male pregnancy became a thing that was just researched and bam problem solved.

.Lance likes this.
  15. yilingwave

yilingwave Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the fujos here should have more self love. MC or ML having a trusted female friend isn't the end of the world, ah! This is why most BL novels have subpar writing, the fujo writers would rather have male only magic buttbabies than do the logical thing.

.Lance likes this.
  16. NovelReaderAnonymous

NovelReaderAnonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you know just adopt like what would happen a lot in real life too. I mean so many ways to go about it if you want to stick to realism.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    .Lance likes this.
  17. yilingwave

yilingwave Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly! Adoption is always an option! Think of all the already alive kids who'd love to have a new loving family. BL writers please take note!

.Lance likes this.
  18. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> adapt, not adopt...

People should adapt to what's presented to them. If you prefer this type, then go to this type of stories. If you prefer that type, then go to that type of stories. If people want to stick to realism, then look for it. Don't jump into novels that has magic buttbabies then complain about it.

LOL saying BL writers to take note here when most of the authors for the translation don't even read or knvolve themselves with the English fan translation community.

19. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A few cultural factors (all about CN novels since I think that's where the majority of the novels are rn?)

1. Surrogacy is illegal in China.
    2. If it's illegal for guys to get married, it's illegal for them to have kids. This is part of their "One/Two Child Policy". Got to curb that population. It's why some novels (mostly hetero FL runs away pregnant) emphasise on how bad they have it when having illegitimate kids (unable to enter social records for government benefits).
    3. BL is sometimes seen as a fantasy of a relationship where they're not expected to have kids. It's a way to escape reality where both government and family insist they have kids.

20. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I did not know this. Really? I can understand religious issues like in that recent drama I watched with Muslim actors. Does this cover any gender pairs, even those who have trouble having children?
    coughTaiwancough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.