How Can We Help Original Authors Make Money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You underestimate the passiveness of the Japanese.
    Japan also has a conformity problem.
    Everyone is trying to get picked by a publisher why do something unheard off?
    Japanese authors are also wary or scared of foreigners.
    Its a xenophobic country for a reason.
    Many have tried contact and it doesn't work.

The solution is to build an attractive platform that works.
    This thread is about ideas for such a platform.
    Thanks for mentioning Fantia and Enty. I could not recall them.

I am not making this up. I have spoken extensively with the owner of J-novel club.

2. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seem lots of authors on twiiter, i'm not sure about so much xenophobic i've seem many that don't know how to interact with foreigns though, i would try if i knew japanese or other language, i believe you tried to talk with some of them as well?

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Xenophobic doesn't mean I am calling the authors racist. They are just not used to interacting with foreigners as their country is xenophobic in its policies
    Contacting the authors is not an issue but making them an offer they can't refuse is.
    A platform is needed to make that offer

4. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you shouldn't go with the idea of trying to giving something they can't refuse,.You first need to give them something interesting,something organized, .

As a plataform you would need multiple translators interested so you can pick up the interest of multiple authors with the chance of getting their work overseas and even trying getting some money of it without bureacracy and all that stuff, because from what i often see many authors don't bother using fantia,enty and others to try to get some money,. You need to have persistence on this, and try to make this go ahead or its unlikely that anyone would make this work since its new and there is no support of big companies.

For this kind of stuff i think you should seek authors that people think should get a LN but never still don't have one, its suaully this kind of author that would be more interested on this

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Asianhobbyist.com is basically my test run. So I already have the translators and a source of revenue to fund it.

I just need a feasible system with which to build my platform.

Asianhobbyist pays translators, the next step is to pay authors.

From what I gathered speaking to the owner of J-novel club, making an offer one cannot refuse is important.

If Bill Gates makes someone an average offer they will take it but if I offer something better they will still pick Bill Gates.

That is why I need a platform with obvious benefits that is attractive to authors

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  6. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess the first step you need its to find a system that its easy for them to use to get money, you need to have things simply and very practical , as long you have this system made i think its a bit easier. You would need to talk with the author about all this, also how many chapters do you plan to release on your site or at least what your translators are willing to do, there is a need to being objective and to motivate they going along with it.

Also imo you don't only need to have a good offer but you need to also know who you are giving it to, you should choose authors that seem to not have income of their works but also put an decent amount of effort on it,this is a group of people that i'm sure that they would get happy of getting something out of their work and not doing much work at that

Btw,asianhobbyist is just for JP novels? or CN,KR and even asian in general if you would be able to provide them?

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Asianhobbyist covers Chinese and Korean too but like I said earlier in this thread.
    Japanese novels will be easier because Syosetu.com does not own the copyright of the author's work unlike Munpia for Korean and Qidian for Chinese.
    So the target will be Japanese authors.
    I intend for it to be a separate website.
    Thanks for the replies and the good ideas

EnuoFH likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link