[Poll] Will you take responsibility for your parent's sins?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Aug 6, 2020.

Tags:
?

How much money would you donate to help the freed slaves?

1. I wouldn't donate any money

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. I would donate a couple million gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would donate a couple billion gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would donate a couple trillion gold

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. I would donate 1-2 quadrillion gold

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. I would donate 3-5 quadrillion gold

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. I would donate 6 quadrillion gold (all the money my dad transferred illegally)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. I would donate 6 quadrillion gold + 6 million gold (all the money I received from my dad)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. I would donate 6 quadrillion gold + 106 million gold (all the money I earned due to my dad)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. I would donate everything that I own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I would donate everything and dedicate my life to helping the freed slaves

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  12. I'm unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  13. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    La-la-la-la. Oops!

You were randomly reborn in another fantasy universe. Your dad is the Duke of Klafwjeido, and he's super rich. He's a very doting-type of father and loves to spoil his only child (you). He buys you basically anything that you want (and more) and also everything that you don't want (and more). For example, for your seventh birthday, he bought you 700 Oliphaunts ("elephants") and built a massive zoo of exotic animals outside outside of your bedroom. This type of excessive spending is very typical for your dad, but he is very loving and always treats you well.

Aside from the ridiculous splurging, your father also made sure to give you the best education. You had zillions of tutors, books, lessons, and an entire university was constructed on your behalf. When you were 12 years old, your father helped you invest 6 million gold in the stock market, which since then has returned over 100 million gold in profits.

However, when you were 18 years old, a revolution happened and your father was deposed and executed. You find out afterwards that your father was actually an extremely evil and exploitative man -- all of his money was made by running the largest slave trading network across the entire galaxy, and he was deeply despised by many people for doing a variety of extremely cruel and evil things.

In either case, the Galactic Court tells you that they won't fault you for the things that your dad did, and they consider you to be innocent. The Galactic Government has confiscated all the things that your dad owns (i.e. the mansion you lived in as a kid), but they won't touch your personal property that is listed under your own name.

A judge on the Galactic Court tells you that your father has caused economic damage equivalent to 70 quadrillion gold over his lifetime. The Galactic Government was only able to recover 2 quadrillion gold from your father's bank accounts, and they believe that the vast majority was spent already. Since so little money was recovered, the Galactic Government will not be able to help the slaves that were freed (several hundred quadrillion people), who now all live in poverty.

However, there is a secret that only you know about.

Moments before your father died, 80% of his hidden assets (worth 6 quadrillion gold) were automatically transferred over the black market and are now officially listed under your own possession.

The Galactic Court asks if you're willing to donate any money to help the freed slaves?

1. How much money would you donate to help the freed slaves?

2. If you donated all the money, would you feel like you would need to do more to help the slaves?

3. Would you feel guilty about all the money that was spent for your happiness / education during your childhood?

4. In general, do you feel responsible for your parent's mistakes/sins?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Leave enough for me to start a business and donate the rest. Then when the business takes off on various planets, employ as many ex-slaves as possible and donate part of the profits annually to provide help and education to the rest. Invest the other profits to further the business. Get government involvement to support my business. Possibly do all this anonymously. I don't feel responsible for my parents' sins, but if I have the ability, I would help the people they've harmed.

3. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is going to get political real quick

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I would enslave them all again, as human slaves of cats!

[​IMG]

orematcha, Fulminata, Hegao and 7 others like this.
  5. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    The sins of father will not inherited by his descendand but of course that depend on person in question. In my case i probaly only pay the pinalty or punishment for father's business. Doing hidden ramen shop is sees good ide, or become hunter using spaceship.

imK likes this.
  6. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, a lychee post. I've been missing these. You always come up with interesting scenarios.

6 quadrillion gold + 6 million gold (All the money I received from my dad).

2. If you donated all the money, would you feel like you would need to do more to help the slaves?
    As you can see by my answer, I didn't donate all of the gold. I would keep the remaining 100 million gold. I would retain as much of the remaining 100 million as was needed to keep afloat my ability to make more gold in the future and maintain a simple level of living for myself. All of the money left over after this would be used to run a perpetual trust that runs initiatives spear-headed by a hand-picked, dedicated team of talented individuals who are working under my direction to help the slaves build better futures for themselves.

3. Would you feel guilty about all the money that was spent for your happiness / education during your childhood?

I wouldn't feel guilty. Betrayed, confused and struggling to reconcile the father I knew with the monster he was, perhaps. But not guilty. I didn't know what he did, but once I did know I would seek to rectify his misdeeds with my own efforts.

Filial piety is a big deal in my culture. While you're not directly responsible for anyone else's choices, tīkanga dictates that you do what you can, whenever you can, to put things to rights. I would feel the burden of responsibility as I benefited from someone else's suffering, even though I didn't actively cause it.

Fulminata and lychee like this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    It's only a sin if the masses don't agree. It's good business sense otherwise.

8. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd do a PR move like building my own foundation to help the slaves, to atone my father's sin, etc. but actually taking advantage of them behind the scene to make more money, like father like son.

elengee likes this.
  9. Yolo Swag

Yolo Swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a filial son, i would continue the family business. invest six quadrilion on slave trade. (y)
    about zero.
    ha ha.
    sure.

only as much responsible as I had control at any of that.

otaku31, Iqies, lychee and 1 other person like this.
  10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I would definitely donate the 6 quadrillion. As for the 106 million, it would depend on a few factors such as: what is the economy like? How much would I need to spend a modest, but comfortable life for the rest of my life, while still being able to give my kids a good education and having a safety net in case of recession or a family or medical emergency? What about if I became diagnosed with an expensive to treat illness that wouldn’t kill me if I can keep paying for treatment?

If I can factor in those costs as well as any other foreseeable needs, I’d be willing to donate the excess.

lychee and imK like this.
  11. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly.
    Consider it this way - If we restart the slave trade, we'll have to feed the slaves, thus reducing the amount of people starving from poverty.
    Therefore, saving the world one slave at a time.

Yolo Swag likes this.
  12. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    In this situation, I'd probably send off all the illegal money, and then with the remaining money as well as the money earned from selling off unnecessary things, set up some kind of foundation/fund to generate more money to throw back into propping them up. I'm not entirely sure about feeling responsible because firstly, I was in the dark, and secondly, I am not my parent.

Considering that my dad only generated 6 quadrillion gold from damages estimating about 70 quadrillion, it also brings forth the question of whether this is even a solvable issue. And also the fact that my dad either did something horrendously bad and or my dad is really really bad at making money without harming others.

But quite frankly, this scenario is essentially an experiment in a vacuum that kind of paints the grey as more black and white; so long as the replier has some capacity for human empathy, they would donate. Especially the assets just 'deemed' as illegal. Additionally, I highly doubt this situation would ever happen, nor will I trust that the gold I just donated isn't going to go elsewhere. The sheer existence of an extremely large, galaxy-wide enslavement network means quite more than just my father being evil. Because this means others are involved: middlemen, the slave traders, the patrons of said practice, etc. It says something about whatever kingdom this is, and it says something about the Council stepping in this late.

It's at the point where the human trafficking is so widespread and prevalent that one would honestly question the morality of the common man in this era. I don't know how much currency inflated, but for the record, Amazon is rated at approximately $1.14 trillion USD. So if the rates are similar, 70 quadrillion "gold" is tens of thousands greater in value than the (arguably) best delivery/cloud business of our time. It really begs the question,"How corrupt is this society?" "Is there any point in trying to solve the problem when the odds seem far beyond just against me?"

And even if I don't consider myself as guilty, there will obviously be those that will hold resentment for me even though I was not part of the operation. Depending on what kind of experiences they faced, there will undoubtedly be those that may think, "Wow, what an a**hole, living the dream while I had to starve in my first months" or whatever unfortunate situation was forced upon them. So what's it to them to not just stop at my father? The revolution was successful, and I by association am likely to be the next on the chopping block.

Maybe human history does not repeat itself, but humans tend to do very similar things that can be found in the past, regardless of where an action or intent lands on the spectrum of devils and saints. So after the head of the largest slave trade is gone, another will undoubtedly take its place. Regardless of if the next be the vice-ringleader, contending head of the second largest, a business genius, or even a rising novice through sheer dumb luck, it will happen inevitably. Maybe with different intentions, plans, or whatever, but the end result will definitely be similar. This world doesn't have a good outlook, and it doesn't seem like changing anytime soon.

So at the end of the day, yes, I will donate. Is this world beyond saving? I want to say no, but the situation at hand wants me to say so. Will I successfully save everyone through this donation? Absolutely not. Will the slaves like me for donating? Maybe, maybe not. Will at least a good portion if not the majority resent me for living a life of luxury in contrast to their presumably agonizing days? Almost certainly. And will there be someone that starts another slave trade despite my best efforts to hinder it? Most definitely.

TL;DR I will donate a lot of it, but I don't think it will change much in the great span of things.

lychee and arashi-chan12 like this.
  13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Donate some quadrillions gold and invest the rest in order to reimburse the rest of the money :hmm:
    Of course, after all a debt of tens of quadrillions can't be repaid just with few quadrillions :blobsweat_2:

Maybe, I most probably will :blobexpressionless:

Maybe :hmm::blobunsure:

Iqies, lychee and imK like this.
  14. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    all u who donated are just a pack of liaaarrrs

Woho0 likes this.
  15. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man I would be spoilt rotten, I wouldn't care about those freed slaves at all, all that money is made by my genius father and would only spend some if I deemed it necessary to improve my public reputation in that manner.

No way, working your way up with your own strength is the greatest virtue, and by not helping them they have that opportunity.

Not at all. I would only feel absolutely gratitude for having such a great and caring father.

My father was a great man, a true genius, a talent manager and a caring father. I have no reason to believe the absurd claim that my father has caused economic damage equivalent to 70 quadrillion gold over his lifetime! People were buying slaves because those slaves provided economic value, they worked hard under their owners and created massive surplus value! It is instead that damn revolution that caused this massive economic destruction! They killed all the slave oners, the managers who were running everything as efficient as possible, all those slaves aren't working anymore because they don't know how to manage themselves! They're all going to starve to death because of this damn revolution!

otaku31 and lychee like this.
  16. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Awesome, I've missed lychee's polls! Seriously, some of these should be adapted to webnovel ideas, 'cause they'd be so interesting to read.

Uhh...to be honest, 6 more quadrillion isn't going to make a dent in that 70 quadrillion "debt." And that's just an estimate--who knows if the present economic state + galaxy will remain stable for that to even be an accurate number after a year? Suppose Star Wars breaks out and all the slaves get jobs as soldiers, or a new man just as evil takes over to fill the vacuum my father left?

Yeah okay, noblesse oblige is a thing, but I'm basically the daughter of a disgraced galaxy criminal now. I think I'll be worried more about my own life in case some peeps come after me in some twisted form of revenge, even if the government finds me innocent. Let's go~

3 quadrillion. That's like 50% of my private assets already. I gotta use the rest as stand-by money in case I need to hire bodyguards or something, lol. It'll also be good capital if I decide to start a company like some commenters and make more money. This is just the beginning, man.

N/a, but my opinion is that just a flat sum of money won't solve anything. You'd be feeding a bottomless pit, because there's always more money needed for something. Setting up trust funds and businesses, or even better, getting the slaves to work for you in actual jobs that further your enterprise while giving them a stable life is a better idea.

I mean, I was a child. Stuff like that is beyond my control, especially if my dad did whatever he felt like. I think I'd feel more guilty if I was doing bad things or squandering those money + opportunities. Now that the past is in the past, the best thing for me to do is to acknowledge it, accept it, and move on as a better & wiser person.

You can't control other people and their decisions, as terrible as they might be. Of course, that's easy to say and it's likely I'll be swimming in guilt for a while, but fundamentally I know it's...not really my fault. Anyways, other people might think different, which is why my first line of business is to go incognito and run off to a faraway planet to spend the rest of my life living in peace and doing good deeds!

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  17. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. About 0.00 GC
    2. Zilch
    3. Nope
    4. Not at all
    In any case, the fund left behind should be more than sufficient to utterly crash the economy with some correct application. With enough leftover for luxurious retirement. I'm kinda spiteful, you see.

Fulminata and otaku31 like this.
  18. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I would donate the hidden funds and work with the rest to build a business empire to help those who are still being affected not only by the father but others.
    2) See 1
    3) Yes.
    4) To a point. If the actions are large enough then you need to do something to show that you don't approve of their actions, but I don't see it as my responsibility to right all the wrongs.

19. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Gods dammit, I just lost my original post due to accidentally deleting the tab. To sum it up, there's only enough gold in a galaxy to make 17 quadrillion gold ingots. Also, what denomination of gold is the damage? Bars? Chips? Shoes? Shovels?

Also, I'm an isekai protagonist. How did I not see my dad's evil crimes?! Where's all the drama and action?! I'm surely a beautiful Villainess!

Anyways, onward to the questions.

1. I won't donate anything. Unfortunately, my life is now one big giant target for other criminals and vengeance seekers since I just lost the protection of my father. I'm going to need every bit of help I can get.

2. My father was a monster to others, but to me, he was my dad. I can't put strangers above familial love.

3. I would feel guilty, but unless time travel was invented, I can't change the past.

4. I don't feel responsibility for my parents' sins or mistakes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Woho0, Fulminata and otaku31 like this.
  20. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldnt donate anything to the government, because no matter how well meaning governments are, they are corrupt and subject to the whims of the people running it. This doesnt mean that that money wouldnt go twords helping those that father hurt however.

First up would laundering the money in a way that it could be used. So setting up a relief organization to use as a front to accept those "donations". Part would be invested by competent managers so we can become self sustaining, while other portions would be set up for aid, relief, and support.

Programs would be started and designed to investigate, find, and buy those still wrongfully enslaved, then to rehabilitate and educate those that want the help. Preferably they would be employed by us and help to free others that were in their position.

While some of my money might have been used to start the organization, I would accept nothing in return, nor would I keep any of the black market wealth. Any money that was made from investments would be rolled back either into more investments or go to operation costs and employee salaries. Any legitimate donations would be treated the same.

Going forward, the organization would become something of a civil rights group ment to fight illegal slavery. That's not to say it would attempt to abolish slavery outright, but we would act as watchdogs to make sure those that are enslaved are not abused or wrongfully enslaved.

While there is nothing I could do to make everything right after father tore apart their lives, I would do my best to make sure those that survived were given the best support to put what pieces that are left into some semblance of order.

imK and AMissingLinguist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.