BEST ORIGINAL FREE NOVELS ONLINE

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by sleib, Aug 1, 2020.

1. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhh, did not know that, thank you.

2. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I should probably give it more of an introduction, given that it's a little less well known than Worm.

Basically, biopunk fantasy: "the British Empire but the Industrial Revolution was based on biological modification". The main characters are a group of children who have been, to varying degrees, created to serve as weapons, and they are *very* aware that, between a public that considers them inhuman aberrations and a country/creator that considers them expendable items, the only people they can rely on are each other.

sleib likes this.
  3. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds great, I'm sure the writer of Worm will not disappoint so I will check later, thanks for describing.

4. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC changes quite a bit, still is spouting a bit of anti-theism and sociopolitical beliefs but it's interesting seeing how the character develops to adapt there. Still is a pain in the ass in somethings and remains quite random on some things but I enjoyed the character development.

The snake's report is wonderful.

Overtime there were tons of excellent novels on RR that are either on hiatus, have been for a short time (and they may not continue so I'm not recommending them now) or they post a chapter every month or so.

If you want more here is a list of more novels than I follow or have read before but usually don't recommend.

*Promising but not yet there.
    Blessed Time (very good, sort of time loop litrpg mechanic)
    Vaudevillain (Very funny, old school villain in vrmmorpg)
    Interdimensional Garbage Merchant (litrpg very good)
    DCO- Dungeon Core Online (strange and author has left another story on hiatus, quite good and peculiar, slow update)
    To Play With Magic (very good, sort of litrpg with a custom system)

*Prone or on Hiatus
    Unparalleled (excellent)
    Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4 (excellent)
    To Break The World (excellent)
    A Gentleman's Curse (very good)
    chronicles of a dungeon core (Some parts incredible, some parts decent)
    Luck Lockyer (excellent)

*On definite hiatus or dropped

Dungeon Heart
    Dungeon Games
    The Breath of Creation [DROPPED] (excellent story, too bad it ended)
    The Defective Hermit (excellent, story style starts AWFUL and improves a lot, such a shame)
    Clockwork
    Slime Tamer's Chronicles

*Finished
    The Gam3 (Decent to good novel, hated the ending)
    God of Eyes (Very good but not my usual style, still have to finish reading it
    Essence of Ash (good but too short)
    threadbare (excellent and forgot before)
    The New Journey of an Old Soul (very good)

*Special cases
    Overseer (moved to moonbunnycafe)
    Deck of Souls (on amazon)
    How to Avoid Death on a Daily Basis (on amazon)
    Metaworld Chronicles (this is a special case, has tons of nuances and real workings of politics, incredibly detailed however I HATE some of the characters including the mc. Also quite a tragedy story, not a fan of those)

Savage Divinity (also a special case, very thorough lore and world building, excellent novel however I don't really like tragedies and the style changed over time, I quite like how it starts but abandoned at the end)

Also, if you tolerate works that include sex there are 3 novels that are good (and while they have sex is not the main part).

https://storiesonline.net/s/75651/a-new-past Dude make a machine that sends him into the past. Has a lot of technological revolution (which is not entirely correct) and it's enjoyable. The sex scenes are ignorable. 7

https://storiesonline.net/s/68384/a-fresh-start Again time travel to the past. Follows the story of the mc from his childhood (not a happy one at all) to the military, to being in business with many companies to politics. Has a lot of detail and delves into business and politics from the past 40 years. I'm not an expert on US history so I can say that it seems credible though it may not be accurate. You can totally ignore the sex scenes. Solid 9

https://storiesonline.net/universe/979/grim-reaper-universe from the same author as the last but not as good, still solid 8.

Ardna, Seraphic and sleib like this.
  5. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    u have valid points
    I had to quit He who hunts, MAINLY due to the style. It also got inanely boring well to me anyways, and I have heard from friends who got past 75% of the novel talking about how it doesn't get better as he has a retard tsundere for a love interest which I absolutely detest, and his monologues make up a good chunk of each ch, again style was shit for me
    But I respect if you liked it

I couldnt get past the magical school arc, thats all. One day Ill give it a try again, after all it cant be highly rated for no apparnt reason. I just wasnt digging the cliche magical genre it starts out with, esp when I just read the parody to magical novels Supreme Mangus. but im not hating on it in general since i havent even read it

Mloop is hella good, try Abyssal dungeon and Maidens frozen heart when u get the chance. Both really well written
    Yea i dropped those among I listed with high class mob for a reason. High class just got boring, not high enough class for my tastes ig

sleib likes this.
  6. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For now, I also stopped reading He who hunts monsters. You should really try Mother Of Learning, the character develops so much it's insane and action parts are very good.
    Thanks for the recommendations.

FIEND likes this.
  7. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for recommending so many novels. I'm reading blessed time as well, it's pretty good. Not as good as Mother Of Learning (for me) but still good.

8. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh, yeah, Metaworld Chronicles has okay writing but the protagonist never stops feeling like an insufferable Mary Sue. It's got competent worldbuilding, but if you don't get hooked in the first arc or two, it doesn't really get any more bearable.

sleib likes this.
  9. earthdrake

Reading List:
    Link
    I can tolerate the mary sue cheat, I can’t tolerate the moral bullshit she says, killing is bad and quotes philosophers and then consumes people with her void affinity for her benefit... literally chapter 168 i fear no evil for thou are with me while deciding to consume death row prisioners instead of animals so she can get the extras magical schools. I understand why she does and i would totally do it but spare me the bullshit please. And sadly that is not the first time of double morals, that was the last chapter i read because it was too much bs.

FIEND and SamStrike like this.
  10. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    she is an insufferable marysue
    every other action scene author shoves down our throat how beautiful and FAIR her slender long legs are, oh did I mention BEAUTIFUL?

11. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    1000000%
    Dunno why its even trending
    not to mention some of the novels trending are questionable at best

12. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL
    That's royalroad for ya

13. Ardna

Ardna [Avid slacker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Your post is a goldmine...

14. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    finally read snakes report, finished book 1, and its the cutest shit ive ever read
    my fav next to chrysalis

15. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reading the adventures of einarr stigandersen on rrl right now, will read that later. It has hiatus status on rrl though :( Does it have some romance? At least a subplot or a potential one?
    BTW try mother of learning you will thank me. Just get through first chapters before time loop, it becomes better and better more you read.

16. earthdrake

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, book 1 is amazing, supper funny, bit nuts and slightly dark, book 2 is also amazing, dark, slightly grim bit funny, a more than a bit nuts.

Mother of Learning is amazing!!!

sleib likes this.
  17. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I agreed with your list till you came up with the last 3.

Legend of randidly ghosthound is really bad. I think the reason why most people liked it was because it was one of the first litrpg for most people to read that got them into webnovels. It introduced a lot of people to the postapocalyptic gaming system. It's like watching a certain movie when you are a child, at that time you think it is the most awesome thing ever but when you go back to it you find out it was pretty bad and now the only reason you like it, is because of nostalgia.

Same thing with worldkeeper. Worldkeeper introduced a lot of people to the being a god idea and creating whatever you want. It is the ultimate wishfufilment. I would have agreed with you if the novel didn't have an utter lack of imagination or creativity. Take for example a kingdombuilding/worldbuilding game like CIV. The reason people like civ is because of the thousands of ways you can decide to build your city, do you build an army or do you decide to focus on world wonders, do you rather choose to have a friendly relationship with your neighbours or do you decide to be extremely wary of them so you can attack them at any moment. It is almost impossible to take the exact same steps as an other player even if you decide to go the same route unless you do that on purpose. Well what if CIV had just a single giant button that said build city and the ai does everything for you and you just sit back and play with your mobile phone or something. That is pretty much what worldkeeper is. Eventhough the guy is a god, he pretty much just sits back and let everything being done for him, he doesn't create anything (reason why such novels are fun) but decided instead to already use already made creations like elfs and beastman. If you want an actual good god creation story, try the breath of creation.

As for unfathomable senior truthfully speaking it is mediocre at best

FIEND and SamStrike like this.
  18. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. I checked some free litrpg and they were not at that level. Maybe there are some books you have to pay for that are better but I checked 1 on amazon, it was supposed to be pretty good since it had a pretty good ranking in some category but...it was shit and boring as hell. Main plus of Randidly is an amazing action, diverse powers, side characters are not one-dimensional thanks to the huge amount of chapters the author writes about side-characters, some mysteries and unpredictability still remained later in the novel. I do not know what more you want, maybe there are some better free litrpg high-fantasy novels out there, if there are please point them out for me.

Well...since I never had too much much patience for kingdom building games(or novels) and some of the games where you can just leave and city builds itself were played by me before...yeah, maybe you are right. I guess it can be considered my guilty pleasure. That said, it is not a kingdom building and he is a god, not emperor or king. And the behavior you dislike sounds more godlike to me than some very active interference in the workings of the world :D
    You got me interested so I will, thank you!

OK, how many xianxia have you read? Most of the xianxia can be described as repetitive and below average. Even among those who are above that, there are too many with psycho mass-murdering, 9 generations destroying MCs. Yet here MC is actually kind...like holy shit...these days that is one rare trait. And him bringing some modern ideology in that world trying to change it instead of just following the flow and becoming just another cultivator x is another reason why I like it. I am not saying it's some masterpiece but it has good action, cultivation, cool sytem, ir can be pretty funny and it has refreshing MC and ideas. Side characters are not faceless blobs either. I do not ask for more from xianxia.

Thanks for writing your views btw, just because I do not agree with some things that does not mean I do not enjoy hearing different opinions.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  19. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right? It's one of the best on royalroad and for now, best novel with a time loop for me .

20. earthdrake

Reading List:
    Link
    Time loop related yes, is easily the best. I know only of a few novels which use this and the only other that I would recommend is "All You Need Is Kill" (both novel and manga are awesome, movie diverts a lot from the canon but has a happy ending).
    There are many other novels which I think are on my top ten and while Mother of learning is one of them is not the top.
    It is the best completed novel I read in the last few years though there are a few others that you may like.

*Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (completed web serial that started as a fanfic of HP with a difference. What if Harry was off the charts smart and tried to investigate magic as a scientific phenomena). This one if you want actually smart characters while they adapt to a new enviroment
    *Saga of the Borderlands. Different from all based on a particular world conception, incredible novel, can make you become very introspective. Mother of Learning has a very different and thorough world building, this novel has even more.
    *Forgotten Conqueror. Another webserial originally from RRl and also one of the best hosted on that site. Still ongoing, sloooooowly but has moved to a different site (first volumes are still there). Not only has an incredible world building but also has the trials and tribulations of someone who is stronger, smarter but still can't change everything on it's own.

FIEND likes this.