[Poll] Will you take responsibility for your parent's sins?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Aug 6, 2020.

Tags:
?

How much money would you donate to help the freed slaves?

1. I wouldn't donate any money

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. I would donate a couple million gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would donate a couple billion gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would donate a couple trillion gold

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. I would donate 1-2 quadrillion gold

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. I would donate 3-5 quadrillion gold

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. I would donate 6 quadrillion gold (all the money my dad transferred illegally)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. I would donate 6 quadrillion gold + 6 million gold (all the money I received from my dad)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. I would donate 6 quadrillion gold + 106 million gold (all the money I earned due to my dad)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. I would donate everything that I own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I would donate everything and dedicate my life to helping the freed slaves

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  12. I'm unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  13. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    1. How much money would you donate to help the freed slaves?
    I would dispose of the money that was obviously dumped on me, since it's likely that spending the missing amount of money would end up altering the authorities to the fact that I had somehow secretly kept those funds. I would then proceed to lay low for the next several years for things to calm down, perhaps change my name, and then eventually build up my own business in legal trades.

2. If you donated all the money, would you feel like you would need to do more to help the slaves?
    I would avoid associating with the slaves, as I assume most of them would resent me secondhandedly. I don't believe myself to be responsible for what my father did, however I certainly know that people like to hate the family of their enemies.

3. Would you feel guilty about all the money that was spent for your happiness / education during your childhood?
    No, I would just treat it as useless expenditure by my father for his own satisfaction in regard to the weirds excessiveness of it, and I would just treat the education as something that I worked to process through to gain an advantage for myself. Both those expedetures hopefully put the money into legal circulation, so I have no reason to think anything else of it.

4. In general, do you feel responsible for your parent's mistakes/sins?
    No. I was raised under the principles of parents being responsible for the mistakes of children, but not vice versa.

Also, welcome back. I've missed these threads of yours.

Woho0, Fulminata and AMissingLinguist like this.
  2. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I don't see a reason why I have to donate.
    2. Nope I wouldn't donate.
    3. Why would I feel guilty about things I didn't do it.
    4. No.

3. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops! Forgot the questions....

Nope, see above post.
    Same as question one.
    Some, but that education is going to be used to put as much back together as I can.
    Well as the person that lead the rebellion against dad I feel I've done my part to free myself from his sins. Returning the lost wealth back to those in need is just to make sure it doesnt line some bureaucrats pocket, go twords funding golden toilets or [insert vice here] for the new rulers. The money will be used to repair lives, infrastructure, and provide jobs for those who were wronged by father. Anything that left will be used to make sure such events dont happen in the near future.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  4. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    If I die, I do not die alone.
    Reveal everyone's darkest secret that you unearth using your connection and money

imK likes this.
  5. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why should I? Am I not already held responsible as 'that mans" direct descendant? In the interstellar age, I'm assuming, slavery is a problem? (this is sarcasm) I assume father also has properties, business and "legal stocks" to help launder his money. turn them to legitimate businesses under other companies
    2. If you donated all the money, would you feel like you would need to do more to help the slaves?
    I suppose I should. MY father was a problem, a serious problem. Mainly help fund awareness campaigns (I assume dad isn't the only one) and those campaigns should be tied to rescue organizations. (More of a radical position if slavery is legal in some cultures.) And also try to invest into businesses that help these people get stable income/lifestyle under better management (basically trying to leave it to other people, give them enough levy to actually help as much people as possible).
    3. Would you feel guilty about all the money that was spent for your happiness / education during your childhood?
    If I was that particularly spoiled, I feel spending money to obtain happiness is a basic. You can pay for your basics in order to live better. I wouldn't remember what was spent and even if they sent me records, it's all kind of up in the air. Education can educate me what is possible and what provides stability. (ex. can food at canned food drives isn't the healthiest. it's expensive to pay for medicine as result of your diet, it becomes harder to climb out of that pit.)
    HELL YES. Do I have to say any more? Society is a sick mf and my background is contributing to it, even if I could sympathize and empathize with my father, material goods doesn't replace actual family bonding. (This is my interpretation. Being entertained by material goods is the same as looking online for validation, you can project your emotions on a cute doll but it won't answer to your insecurities). I would blame him for the social pressure I now have to deal with as a result of being related to him, with the millions of people with the opportunity to better their social positions, as his child, I would have to enter the witness protection program. I'm gratingly responsible for someone else's sins.

6. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @lychee you forgot to add the option
    walk the same way and try to surpass dad

Woho0 likes this.
  7. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Not single gold, because I know probably 40%-60% going to lose on the way and enter corrupt people's pocket, better do it yourself or not...
    Are you serious? my father is executed and probably a lot of people aim for my head too, I will change my identity and get far away from them, probably some of the slaves became really irrational and want personal justice
    yep, probably a short or long time...
    No, because I don't even know the source. They all gifted to me, just like a treasure hunter... they know that is money robbed from people or whatever and probably it tainted by the blood of hundred, but it not you do that so not your fault... beside society is going to be a mess if slave made of 20% workforce, a revolution not going finish in a year and probably after they win the people will fight for position and also cause a mess... better if you went away and came back or not after the mess is stable

8. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No because a person should be accountable only for the sins that they do, not the sins of their ancestors.

9. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "A judge on the Galactic Court tells you that your father has caused economic damage equivalent to 70 quadrillion gold over his lifetime. The Galactic Government was only able to recover 2 quadrillion gold from your father's bank accounts, and they believe that the vast majority was spent already. Since so little money was recovered, the Galactic Government will not be able to help the slaves that were freed (several hundred quadrillion people), who now all live in poverty."

Wait, if this is true... gold isn't anywhere = dollar of today... several 100x (x being whatever quadrillion is) slaves but only 70x worth of economic damage over a life time? Less than one gold per slave was pilfered effectively, yes? If monetary value is that relatively high compared to the number of human lives that have been ruined, either everyone who has money are dirty bastards (including the judge of that court), or one gold is like $500,000 today or something like that. Or is my dad just that bad at his job that he coud only squeeze out 70x worth from trading that many slaves? And they might have caught my dad, but did they catch any of the people he's been illegally selling these slaves to?

Anyways, assuming that this is just an error of scale, I'd feel responsible for their actions if their actions were what earned them the money they spent on me. I'd also feel guilty about the money being spent on me in general : hell, I felt guilty when I was a child just because there was poverty and here I was living the middle class dream.

The first two questions will depend on the value of that money and the relative trustworthiness of this Galactic Government. I already mentioned how confused I was about the value of the money, but I'm also confused about the effectiveness of the government. How much % of the population is 100x people? If it's a sizeable portion of the population, how has such slavery gone unnoticed for so long? (yea I know, irony because we still have slaves hidden in the modern age) Would I trust a govenment that failed to discover such rampant slavery for so long?
    And once again, what happened to all the people who participated in this slave trade? Are they still at large with my dad being the fall guy? (like that mexican drug lord was thought of to be like a king by our intelligence, but in reality, he was just a figurehead and each branch is pretty self sufficient and they simply all work in the same name like an alliance). If the value of the money was high, then maybe 2x would be enough to sustain 10x people until the economy starts to adapt to the influx of legal workers again. If that was the case, all that money and power might be better used to eliminate the former business partners of my dad. After all, it takes more than one person for a trade to happen. For seeds to grow, one must first till the land. If the value was low (like 1 gold = 1 dollar), I'd seriously feel less guilty because it'd just make my dad stupidly evil rather than pure evil. At that point, he'd have to have been paying people to buy slaves off of him to barely do 70x amount of economic damage while somehow enslaving 100x people.

I do get the gist though : if you benefited from your parents screwing over other people, should you and would you give back. Should you and would you feel guilty.

10. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    -99% of the money. I'm not gonna keep a shit ton of dirty money.

-
    Sure, Id help them find their families and shit.

-Fuck no. I did'nt know where the money was coming from so how could I possibly feel bad about it. Its like the whole "some money in common trade comes from human trafficking, drug sales, etc.". All money has been in a criminals hands at one point in time.

-Fuck no. You never blame the child that was ignorant of the parents wrongdoings. Thats like going up to the son of a drunk driver and saying "Its your fault that you're parent was a waste of space. Its also your fault that he he hit and killed that child." The only people to blame are the people that knowingly committed the crime with their free will.

11. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. All of it.
    2. Nope.
    3. I'm too selfless to spend all that money for my own happiness. I'm more likely to try to make the world a better place.
    4. Nope.

12. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    some of the sins involve me, and i take no responsibility for any of my actions as an adult so no

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I'd donate basically everything except 10 million. 10 million is more than enough for me to live as long as I want.

2) No. It's not my fault to begin with, and I'm not selfless enough to help people I can't even see. A donation of my father's funds are about as much as I'm willing to do.

3) Probably not tbh, I mean... Sure, the money is dirty, but it's not my fault that it was dirty.

4) Not at all. If I knew about it I could have tried to convince him to act differently, but... I did not know, so there was nothing I could do.

14. Great

Great Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of it. Not my money anyway.

I would only help because I want to.

No.

Nope.

15. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Nothing. If i have any connection to those slaves personally i would consider it. If none then they're just total strangers. I would also consider if i can recruit them for their talents.

2. No. If i feel obligated enough to try settle all the moral debt i have to these peoples i would consider them settled if i do go that far.

3. No. Those were my dad's money not mine and i was thankful to him however evil he actually is to other than me. I wouldn't be too proud of him but i wouldn't hate him.

4. No. If anything a child never able to choose who are they're born as. It just not hot it works and if somebody want to exact revenge to me for my parents sin then i consider them to be the one starting the fight with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.