Discussion I have a question on masks?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cutter Masterson, Aug 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t have much experience when it comes to masks, but with the pandemic. Certain things are starting to happen. So I was wondering if this is happening to other people and is it cause by wearing a mask?

My question is...
    Is anyone else breaking out. Like zits and stuff.....

Could wearing a mask cause break outs?

Any advice or experienced is appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you washing your masks? I'm only breaking out because I am staying home and not bothering to wash my face daily.

naghi32 and justmehere like this.
  3. theliongirl

theliongirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd recommend checking out this post from science based skincare blogger labmuffin: "Pandemic Skincare: Irritation & Breakouts From Masks".

Cutter Masterson and Fulminata like this.
  4. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. It's recommended that you wash your reusable cloth mask daily. I usually give it a squirt of bleach too as I soak my masks. I have two that I alternate.

5. mikatachan

mikatachan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Working in the medical field: possibly yes. Depends on what kind of mask you have, and how much moisture it's trapping from your breath. Imagine wearing a wet steamy towel all the time.

If you're really worried about the zits etc, then there are masks out there made of sweat wicking materials or you can make one! Also for most cases, surgical masks are less likely to trap steam than cloth masks. Good luck

Cutter Masterson and Fulminata like this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    break out such as people get freak out running here and there?
    nope never see that one at this cat place, just usual thing during time~

if you mean another disease pop up cuz mask, nope~
    this cat use cloth type mask, use then wash~ as for another type put it to trashbin, usually use that type when must go to city cuz city is type high risk area~

hmm say do you have allergy or something?

7. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was frekin oblivious about zits when I was a teenager.

First of, don't eat too much peanuts and fats. Any excess fat will increase the likelihood a zit would appear. Next would be germs. Usually, just dust won't effect your face too much, but a contact of your face with any dirty surface will cause zit to appear. That would include mask, hair, dirty pillow, etc

Lurking likes this.
  8. theliongirl

theliongirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, if you're using a cloth mask, did you wash it before use? I know when I put mine on before washing it the manufacturing chemicals irritated my skin badly.

9. 2trill

2trill Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. This is actually a very common thing(they’re calling it “maskne”) Because Of the mask the area around your face is more humid and that leads to more sweat than normal and the sweat is trapped with nowhere to go, and at times being rubbed in by the mask. That’s generally what’s causing the acne. The same thing used to happen to me back when I played football, my chinstrap would cause me to breakout

You can treat it just like normal acne. Wash your face thoroughly(when you can). Spot treat the pimples/bumps with hydrocortisone or peroxide. You don’t wanna go too heavy with the creams and treatments tho because you’ll put your mask back on later or the next day and the abundance of cream can clog your pores and lead to more acne.

Hope that helped!

asriu and Cutter Masterson like this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I work in the medical field as maintenance tech. I keep the plumbing, electrical and etc. running. I use a new mask everyday, but I use them all day. I take a shower before I work and after work. I do admit I eat burgers and pizza sometimes. Like every month or two. I do like fried batter mushrooms every other week.
    It’s just the zits are where the mask is at and no where else. So I was wondering if it’s the mask.

Lurking and PomeloCloud like this.
  11. PomeloCloud

PomeloCloud 蝶のようにここまで

Reading List:
    Link
    I've worn masks all the time especially at work... Are you wearing the surgical or the cloth mask? Surgical mask usually to be worn 8 hours or less. The mask is probably causing irritation on your skin, hence the lesions. How about changing into a softer mask type (cotton) or putting soft gauze in those acne-prone areas?

Amaruna Myu and Cutter Masterson like this.
  12. Fundle

Fundle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes .Everybody I know at work has gotten more of a pizza face (me Included). Mask are fucking hot. And when your hot what do you do? You sweat.
    The purpose of sweat is to cool down your body by it evaporating in the air. They also lifts and trap oils that your body secrets naturally. Oils trap dirt and debris(dead skin mostly)and when this trapped oil and dirt get trapped in your skin we tend to have more breakouts.
    When your in a mask you don't release the hot air you are natural releasing in your body. Your trapping it in a small enclosed space by your face. Which raises your temperature. Which makes you sweat more. It literally the concept of a coat or a curtain; trapped air to heat a space. But in this case its in an effort to stop the spread of air that may be infectious. When sweats sits on your skin along with those oils that have dirt and debris in them it can clog your pours.

And I can safely say I have seen more Pizza face this entire year then I have any other. If your having breakouts get more masks to change them out when they are sweaty. Or when you feel yourself getting sweaty in the mask go find a place with no people take it off and wipe your face. Wash between use. I treat mine like a shirt or underwear I don't really want to put it on after I have sweated all over it.

If sweating is not the problem then maybe at least take solid that the mask hides most zits.

P.S. I have worked 60 hour weeks through this ENTIRE Pandemic with a fucking mask on in the heat and can safely say I fucking hate them. They make life miserable. I have puked in it. I have passed out in it I have watched other people struggle to breathe in it and then get yelled at cause they cant breathe in it. I have seen my coworkers face get scarred because of it(Acne!). I have been cursed out, yelled at, berated,nagged, and been treated like I'm a monster over the use of it. I can tell you the exact distance at a glance you have stay away from me before I am forced to put it on for my safety and yours. And its been proven that if you shut up you spread less germs.

The lightest mask is a medical mask they are mostly single use when used correctly(though surprisingly they can make it through the wash). Wicking material and everything else is usually heavier on your face /neck and head and can lead to more sweating even if it may be easier to breathe with things like a filter. Cotton is also very light but the thickness or thinness can vary greatly depending on how its made.

But a mask is like wearing a condom during sex. Wrong materials or improper uses can still lead to disease and infection.
    And even after use its only a percentage that your truly protected. The only truly effective method is abstinence or JUST STAY HOME.

13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Great advice. I actually feel the mask are comfortable, but I do use them a lot. I usually use one for less than 6 hours. As to using a different kind. That’s not allowed. The hospitals have a certain one they use and that’s it. Thanks thou.

PomeloCloud likes this.
  14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel your pain. I hate masks. If it wasn’t required. I would never use them. It’s tough working in a hospital. I sometimes wish I was a non necessary worker. It would be great to be non necessary workers and have a vacation. Instead I’m stuck working my a$$ off. In the next life I better be reincarnated as a Prince or something. I’m just saying.

Nightow1 and Lurking like this.
  15. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    pimples are one thing, but I also realise it makes my nose very stuffy and wet

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  16. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    and wash your face every night and every morning, just water is good for daily but once a week or when you feel oily wash with cetaphil gently rubbed in to cleanse your face.

works for me like a charm.

17. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!

Could you post a picture of “cetaphil“. I have know idea what that is. I appreciate all your help.

Lurking likes this.
  18. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wash your face at least once a day, preferably after you've used a mask. A lot of the dirt and waste your body gets rid of through sweat ends up on the mask you're using. Clean your mask and your face, and remember not to touch your face with your hands.

Lurking and Cutter Masterson like this.
  19. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

20. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/cetaphil-gentle-skin-cleanser/ID=prod6005196-product

make sure you dont get the scented knockoff from ulta, thats the opposite of cetaphils purpose afaik

its good at being gentle- i know people with skin diseases and problems who use it on dermatologist recommendation.

its one of the few facial washes that doesnt have additives bad for your skin... lkke your skin doesnt need to be perfumed... thats what perfume is for...

its a good facial wash is what im saying, but i wouldnt recommend it daily. daily i am good with water... but i cant judge what frequency of wash othher peoples skin wpuld be good with... but baseline wash your face when you brush your teeth.