[Poll] Can you convince your jailer to stop hating you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Aug 6, 2020.

Tags:
?

How many days (X) would you gamble as the amount of time for your jailer to like you?

1. 1 day

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. 2-3 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4-5 days

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 6-9 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 10-15 days

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 15-30 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 1-2 months

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. 3-4 months

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. 5-6 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 6-12 months

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. 1-2 years

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  12. 3-5 years

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  13. 6-9 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 10-15 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 15+ years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. My jailer will never like me

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  17. I would screw up and my jailer would keep me imprisoned forever

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  18. I'm unsure

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  19. I do not wish to respond

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    For the last poll, there seemed to be a lot of people who assumed that the bully's personality was static (i.e. if they were mean now, they'd forever always be mean). Personally, I tend to believe that most people are dynamic, and that their opinions/beliefs change, so here's another poll:

The Magical Girl of Unethical Social Experimentation abducted you and is forcing you to participate in an experiment.

For the first part of this experiment, you spend 10 days living with a group of ~30 random people. You are not told what is the purpose of this experiment. Your only instructions are to do whatever you want, and nobody is informed about the subsequent phases of the experiment.

At the end of Phase 1, everyone whom you interacted with privately rates how much they hated you. The individual who hates you the most is designated as your jailer.

The jailer's only job is to keep you in jail (and alive). You are locked inside a basic cell, and you have a microphone / video camera that allows you to communicate with your jailer at any time (unless they decide to shut it off because you've annoyed them too much). Your jail cell has no amenities except a bed, toilet, and shower (obviously no Internet or electronics). The jailer is not allowed to give you anything except food.

Every day that your jailer keeps you in jail, they earn $1000 USD.

Now here's the game that you're offered (note: the jailer is not told about this game):

• Step 1: Guess how many X days it will take before your jailer likes you.
    • Step 2: On day X, your jailer will be asked by their supervisor if they genuinely like you.
      • If they say yes, you will be released and your jailer will be paid a bonus equivalent to ( 10X their salary ). Your jailer will stop earning money and they will be fired from their job at the prison.
      • If they say no, your jailer's daily salary will be doubled from now on.
    • Step 3: Repeat this process

1. How many days (X) would you gamble as the amount of time it would take for you to get your jailer to like you?

2. If you were the jailer, do you think you could ever be convinced to start liking your prisoner? What would you do if you knew about the game?

3. How would you approach this situation? Do you have strategies for getting people to like you?

4. Do you think you are a generally likable person? Why would somebody hate you after spending 10 days with you (in phase one)?

IrregularPerson, Woho0 and Fulminata like this.
  2. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really depends on the jailor. If they are a normal person that I just pissed off I think I could do it in a year. If they are a good person, half a year. If they are that self centered they are gonna keep me there forever.

Ha-Ha, starwarscards and lychee like this.
  3. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, this just seems like a win-win scenario for both the jailer and I. I'd honestly just tell them about the rule, bet everyday, and then promise that after a satisfactory sum of money, in exchange for half the money I earned, they free me. Step 3 means repeat the process, meaning it isn't just a one-shot thing.
    If I was the jailer and I knew about the game, I'd literally do the exact same thing: ask them to bet every day, reply I dislike them, repeat until my salary is 1000 times 2 to whatever power I feel is alright, let them out and split the money afterwards. Both the jailer and the jailed are both absurdly rich that even cashing out a hundredth of the earned sum will crash the global currency exchange. If I'm not really hated, there's honestly no reason they wouldn't agree.

I think the main strategy is just don't be an a**hole. Be kind, respect people's boundaries, do things for others, and chances are you aren't going to be hated.
    I assume I am likable, but I may just be biased because I am evaluating myself.

Deleted member 38284 and lychee like this.
  4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    1. How many days (X) would you gamble as the amount of time it would take for you to get your jailer to like you?
    I don't have much experience with people hating me, and I especially find that it's really easy to become friends with almost anyone when interacting with them in a one on one situation for a long period of time. I give it 1-2 days before they would be willing to say they like me, so I would submit day 4 as the deadline just to be sure.

2. If you were the jailer, do you think you could ever be convinced to start liking your prisoner? What would you do if you knew about the game?
    I wouldn't even have the chance to enter the game. I doubt I would ever rate anyone higher than the minimum number on the hate meter.

3. How would you approach this situation? Do you have strategies for getting people to like you?
    I'm generally friendly and have decently high sociability. The trick is to usually find something that the other party is interested in, and show interest in that.

4. Do you think you are a generally likable person? Why would somebody hate you after spending 10 days with you (in phase one)?
    I think I'm generally likable. I can't think of any reason someone would hate me after 10 days since I'm pretty good at reading the room and not stepping on people's toes.

Arash1 and lychee like this.
  5. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    "What's the point of step one, you evil magical girl? Stop forcing me to do your bidding! Get someone else to be your lab rat!" :blob_catflip:

Seriously, step one does nothing for me. Also, what are the chances that one person really hates everyone else equally? Are they now the jailer of all 29 roommates? What a loophole. Or, what about 29 people being the jailer of one person? Terrible situation to be in.

1. Likes me? By how much? 0 to 100? -100 to 100? An itty bitty bit? I'd say 1 billion years from now. Let's see if that evil magical girl will remember to ask the question when the jailer and I are already dust.

2. Sure. Double money as much as possible, then split with prisoner.

3. Try not to die. No strategy.

4. Generally likable? Maybe. Waifu tastes.

Ha-Ha and lychee like this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I both agree and disagree, because you see, no matter how a person might act, their values or should I say their inner persona formed after several sorts of experiences and "events" while growing up till that point, it is hard to change, thus a person might change their behaviour but it is really hard for them to change their final goals and ethics, therefore, if you ask me a person might be dynamic in how they approach others or life but their inner self is hard to change and will show up sooner or later and so a person's personality is sort of static in this sense.
    Btw do you know of the Stanford prison experiment? this scenario kind of reminds me of it :hmm:

For anyone interested, there is a psychological manga called "Kangoku Jikken", it is sort of similar to this topic/scenario, it is quite nice, give it a try if you want to read a manga and don't know what to choose/pick

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2020
  7. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I'd gamble 1 day. I do think I'm rather charming once people get to know me, so either I'm right and I can live like a human again after a night in jail, or I'll make both our lives miserable by inventing ways of killing myself with the limited tools available.

2. Yes, because people aren't too bad once you get to know them. There's been plenty of experiments where they sit a racist down with a person of color, and the racist turns out to not be that bad of a person anymore. Whatever initial first impressions might have incurred for the hatred to happen, I'm sure it goes away once you're properly aquainted. And considering that your only company is each other.... Wouldn't be surprised if I was walking out of there with the other person (jailee or jailer) as my new bestie. If I knew about the game, I'd say I like the person when day X came around simply because although meeting new people is fine, I'd rather just get on with my own life and I'm not exactly short on savings. Being a jailer sounds like a full time job, and sorry, but I have better things to do than babysit all day for every work day of my life.

3. I mean... you both got nothing else than each others' company, the only difference being that the jailer gets money and some free time presumably. As I've said, I'm quite confident with my 1 on 1 charm. Which leads into

4. Yes, I think I'm a likeble person in general. There ARE reasons why someone might not like me after the 1st 10 days though. For one thing, I snore. Depending on how the bed situation is, people might be mad if my snoring keeps up them up at night. Secondly, when I get excited, I'm pretty loud and energetic. Lots of people have problems with other people being loud (even me, when I'm not being loud myself). In general though, because I'm quite a genuine person, I can indeed get along with people. I just ... prefer to have more alone time in my life.

Also, about the previous thread, if the previous bully was genuine in trying to make up with you, why would you have no room for negotiating the terms of your stay on his/her ship? If said bully was genuine, s/he'd know how much s/he abused power to fuck with your life. And you're telling me s/he wants me to go on his/her ship with no negotiating power and expect me to believe s/he's a changed person? And once again, a society that allows for that level of power abuse from a single person doesn't deserve to propegate itself. Let's not turn humanity into a virus that spreads through galaxies, enslaving natives, stealing resources, etc.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Anra7777 and lychee like this.
  8. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that's a fun strategy ^^

I think it depends on whether you believe a person's greed can be saturated or not. Or is it infinite? Or does it vary by the person?

Halcyon Observer likes this.
  9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    If I can make the jailer laugh it will take me a few minutes to befriend him/her. then it's just greeting them and talking about regular things normals think is important.

10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s assuming that you’d be able to stand the mental pressure of what is essentially solitary confinement. I’ve heard that there are debates going on on whether solitary confinement counts as torture, that’s how mentally ruining it is.

Halcyon Observer and ANonMouse like this.
  11. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well technically since the jailer is there, it'd become Stockholm syndrome and at that point even if the jailer hated you, you'd do anything if the jailer threatened to turn off camera and mic permentantly. But yea, not a fan of mental torture myself, which is why I went down the route of bet 1 day and hope I can charm him/her or just end my life so I at least make the hater's life miserable too.

AMissingLinguist and Anra7777 like this.
  12. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Human greed is boundless, but there isn't anything that states humans cannot reign their desires in or cannot counteract greed with benevolence or charity. The starting point may differ, though. A person raised in a frugal, poor household will know the value of money far greater than someone raised lavishly. Incidentally, they're also more likely to let me out early out of their own accord since they'll reach an amount that satisfies them faster.

If I understand what solitary confinement is correctly, it won't be as lonely because you can always talk to the jailer since the jailer needs to make sure you don't, you know, walk out of the doorway. However, it definitely does seem rather miserable without any internet access or recreational amenities.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    (>ω>);;; *has a sense of crisis*

14. CuberAzrael

CuberAzrael 『 Hymn of Gratitude』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is maybe a little bit off topic but maybe you would like to search about Lima Syndrome where the abductors develop sympathy to the captives.

It's the reverse of Stockholm Syndrome and by that I mean it's not entirely impossible for a jailor to change their opinipn of you.

Fulminata and AMissingLinguist like this.
  15. Deleted member 38284

Deleted member 38284 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, their salary doubles every time they get asked if they like you and they respond with no, yes, this is exploitable.
    I'd straight up tell the jailer my scheme, and ask for half his money of course, though i doubt he would pay me in the end.
    Bet 1 day each time, tell the jailor to say no each time, his salary would get a thousand-fold increase every 10 days.
    By day 40 he would earn quadrillions a day, and would actually like me because i bring him more money than it exists on earth combined.
    Though i'm guessing the higher ups would hate me and may even kill me tbh, lol.
    If they can't kill me, they would get me out as soon as they notice my scheme.
    And if the jailor answers no but actually likes me, because he's rich beyond imagination now thanks to me, and that counts for me getting out, it wouldn't take more than 3-4 months i'd say.
    If the supervisors/higher-ups can't get rid of me and the jailor wants even more money for some reason, tell the jailor to at least bring me pc and internet with his stupid amounts of money and threaten suicide if not.

So i'd either get killed by the higher-ups, get rich, get a dream neet life and/or get out of jail in at most a few months.

Fulminata likes this.
  16. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do nothing. Or I would just keep guessing "One day" and then if, in the next day, they decided they liked me, there we go.

I don't think I would piss someone off just for the sake of it. If I did involuntarily, there's no way I can know how to fix it unless someone else tells me. If I did consciously, it would be according to my own beliefs at that time and I would probably not budge easily from that instance either. I would probably do it (trying to get them to like me) if I had a minimal amount of fondness for them though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  17. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Ha, i bet they'll like me in a day! But the allure of free $100/day is too great, and i bet that they'll continue to lie for a while. so i bet that it'll take me around a month to either make them bought my scheme or make them fall head over heels for me and truly could not bear to see me suffer~ I'm pretty persuasive when i put my minds on it.

If i start liking the participant...then wouldn't it be better for them to stay in jail, under my supervision at all time instead? :blobthinkingsmirk:

I need to sell them the idea of freeing me, right? Then I'll employ the sales tactic and the art of negotiation from many famous gurus. Doing some honey traps in the side is a bonus. :aww:
    But i think i need to make them admitting to liking me before this jailor role gets into their head. I remember reading about a social experiment similar to this that gets forcefully terminated because all the participants immersed themselves too much into their role, and is at risk of doing unethical things to each others (the jailors start to display the tendency to harass their inmates, or something like that :blobupset:).

Hmm. Generally likable? Yes.
    But in 10 days of intense, 24-hours interaction, i might start to get tired of the said person and desperately search a way to provide myself a 'me' time. Aside from that, i could maintain a perfect masquerade for a month straight! :aww:

18. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 day. I don't know if the "repeat" means I can guess a new X with the same jailer or with a new one, but guessing 1 day every day seems the strategy with the best chances. Also if every prisoner does that, the salaries would get astronomical high, probably causing them to go broke real fast, what hopefully makes them quite playing wiked games like this.

Sure, if it's a likible person, would I not like them. But if I know about the game I would want my salary dubbeld a good amount of times before getting the 10x bonus.

No, I would just try whatever, the main strategy is to choose day X to be tomorrow everyday.

Well there is nothing much to do but a bit of moving and talking, it's easy to get irritated from each other in such situations. Also I'm not good at tellinf jokes. Other than that there is no reason not to like me.

19. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Unknown. It would depend on why they don't like me. I've met people who I just didn't like, and people who just haven't liked me for no real reason. If it is one of those then I doubt that I would ever succeed.
    2) Yes. Never release them.
    3) Depends on why they don't like me. My strategy would have to adapt to the reason.
    4) Sometimes. I can be a bit arrogant sometimes.

20. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    And then there is this doujin where a university sets up an experiment where a group of students are placed in a jail on a deserted island. The males are the jailers and the females are the prisoners. They are allowed free reign. (At least that's what i think it is from the top of my head remembering what i glanced through)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.