TV Questions about the ending of The King: Eternal Monarch

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Eishun, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the Korean drama about the two Koreas (one where monarchy existed and one where it was split in half like modern Korea). It topped the list on Netflix a while ago. It didn't do well domestically but did well on Netflix.

Anyway, I would like to discuss the ending with those of you who have already finished watching the drama.

These questions contain spoilers by the way.

Question 1: About the Prime Minister

At the end, the parties who had traveled through the Gates on both sides got to keep their memories. The female detective, the king himself and the king's bodyguard. Okay, get it. They traveled through the Gates so they got affected by the mojo and somehow their memories didn't get wiped.

But what about the prime minister? She had traveled through the Gates too. Even murdered her counterpart in the other Korea. Why didn't she get to keep her memories? She seemed too relaxed in that prison visit scene. I mean, if she had remembered her past as the prime minister, she would have been more hysterical, right?

While we are on this question, what about the bodyguard's counterpart in the Republic? He had also traveled through the Gates.

Question 2: Prince Buyeong's son

You remember Prince Buyeong, right? The old dude who was like a father to the young king. He sent all his kids to live in the US to avoid a fight over the throne.

If you have watched the last episode, then you know he's one of Lee Rim's helpers. On the night of the coup, his job was to help the traitor escape via one of the gates.

My question is: Did he freaking die? Because, you know, the bodyguard snapped his neck. And you know, if he had died, then who's gonna give birth to Buyeong's granddaughter, Lee Sejin? You remember Sejin? The girl's who's a good sort and who would have become the heir if the shit ever hits the fan again.

In the previous episode, Lee Rim sent the broken heiress to run her over, thus disrupting the king's succession plan.

Question 3: The King and his Girlfriend

How are they ever going to get married? In which world? At the end, their counterparts were active in both worlds. In the Kingdom, Luna existed as a detective. In the Republic, the king existed as a regular Navy officer.

So how are they gonna get married? Would the king say screw this and marry the detective in the kingdom, despite Luna's existence?

And if they didn't get married, what's gonna happen to the throne? Remember my last question. If Prince Buyeong's son had died, then Lee Sejin would not get born. So who's gonna be the heir now?

Feel free to come up with your own questions as well.