Discussion Jade White Beauties

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MangoGuy, Aug 7, 2020.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I see the phrase Jade White Beauty and it's equivalent, I would always cringe. I would picture an albino. I would think about how the correct translation might have been "fair" rather than white.

But now?

I guess historic Chinese make up consists of pasting some actual whitener or something on your face. Just look at this!

imK, Nyann, AMissingLinguist and 2 others like this.
  2. Brago130sf

Brago130sf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So like, all women in ancient china were actually walking with gypsum plastered over their bodies?

3. Fitoor

Fitoor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a novel on royalroad sth young master template A that is a genre-savvy kinda attempt at xianxia. A heroine has the white jade complexion with smooth blemish less skin, and the MC finds it to be in the uncanny valley.
    Just a random thought.

4. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    You ever see a jade color? I went to China once and saw many of them. Jade white are like shiny, glassy white that are glossy to the touch. :sushi_cool:How should I describe it? It’s just so beautiful and I could just sit there and watch it all day. When it comes to jade white beauty, I might just want to eat them. Lol:blobsmirk:

runsing and AMissingLinguist like this.
  5. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    racial difference problem i guess? most asians are yellow/brown so as an asian myself i can easily relate what the term of white jade beauty meant

FIEND likes this.
  6. tontje

tontje Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having a pale skin is a sign of succes, hence it is considerd beautifull.

FIEND likes this.
  7. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate that phrase so much, so obsessed with pale white skin and shoving it down ur throat every two seconds. I feel like they need to be more creative with their descriptions of beauty...plus its pretty annoying for them to define every single "beauty" as white. :blob_thor:

teargrants, imK and FIEND like this.
  8. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, a beauty comparable to milk. It makes me lactose intolerant.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh this cat dunno what is "fair" tho?

vary from white marble to white on milk?

10. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a different viewpoint

as someone with a kinda eastern culture background, it is an absolute eye feast to see the true jade white beauties

11. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and that's why Japanese businessmen chased blonds back in the 1980s .... on another note up until sometime around or after ww 1 the standard for women had been pale, kept out of the sun, for successful, kept / aristocratic / "high class" / rich to mid class women in Europe and the U.S. .

12. CinnamonRoll

CinnamonRoll Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried describing a character like how a few Chinese authors do and lasted until the first jade white before I cringed to death.

Turns out I've no talent for describing a characters appearance not the shamelessness to gush a thousand characters on one's appearance

13. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Heiii... :hmm::blobunsure: I think it depends on our eyes. To me, white marble or milk cannot be compare to white jade.:blobtriumph:

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz this cat have seen really good gradient of white marble, similar to polished white jade gem~
    unpolished white jade seem like milk~

15. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    cultural difference, humans want what they dont have
    coming from an asian culture myself, you either have really light skin or your kinda not that beautiful unless you got other assents to show off like thiccness or a fuckable face

in america, we are obssed with having tan or darker skin, cuz majority is pale white

we always want what we dont have.

cutiebinkie and Nightow1 like this.
  16. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike the obsession with whiteness in cn novels anyway. And I guess it's not surprising, in many parts of the world people used toxic powdery stuff to dye their faces white and paint their lips red. (And make their teeth black in case of japan)

17. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man. :blobconfused: I want to say that, white or tan/black, it’s not so much of a concern to most people because if your skin isn’t smooth...:sweating_profusely: I don’t think black or white is much of a difference. I’m an Asian, but what most people look for should be smooth skin:blobneutral::blobunamused: (That’s what my mom says):blob_thor::blobthumbsdown::blobcurse:

18. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blacks/Asians whiten their skin. Whites go for suntans. Go figure lol.

You ever seen depictions of old Japanese Geyshas? You ain't that far wrong.

19. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh this thread still continues. yeah, even when my uni friend (about ten years ago i guess?) talked about girls, he would always preach us for getting one with white skin as the first and foremost requirement. She can be average-looking, she can be beautiful, she can be having a big or small boobs, smart or average.... but as my friend said, we're obsessed with getting one with white skin

20. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where I'm from, my country has a diverse "skin color" meaning you could literally find the darkest of the darkest, the lightest of the lightest, and everything in between, and still be from the same "ethnicity" or wtv. I've grown up being told every single day, how its better to be lighter than dark, how some of my sisters are prettier than other of my sisters because they were born light. There might be a lot of reasons for this, maybe because they think staying inside is a sign of your wealth, maybe they were influenced, I don't know, but it's very racist. Chinese people, (not all ofc), but the general "consent" is also similar to like this. They are racist, whether they realize it or not. My parents don't even think thinking like this is bad or "racist". They just see it as a way of life, a natural fact and part of their "culture". You could literally be ugly, but if you're white, then you're beautiful in their eyes. I don't think it's as simple as wanting something you do not have. It's more like a beauty standard over there. If you're white in China, you won't think "oh I wish I could be tan" because everyone will automatically praise you and say how good you are but it won't be the same for having a darker complexion. It seems like it's a one way only street.

I don't know how people in this thread can be ok with this mindset. And no it's not cultural differences, because I too have those same exact cultural values that prefer white over dark, but that doesn't matter. It is very very sad people think like this. That being white must be a requirement...By all means, white skin is beautiful, but so is everything else. I find naturally tanned or darker Asian people to be very beautiful.

Sigh maybe I've gotten too worked up about this :blobpensive::blobpensive: