[Poll] Would you corrupt others to gain your freedom?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Aug 7, 2020.

Tags:
?

Would you accept Satan's deal to corrupt 1000 innocent people?

1. Yes - I would corrupt innocents without any hesitation

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Yes - I would corrupt innocents somewhat hesitantly

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Yes - I would try to pick (less) innocent people to corrupt

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Yes - I would only try to corrupt people who seemed to be on the borderline

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Yes - But I wouldn't try to corrupt anyone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No - I would refuse the deal

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  7. I'm unsure

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  8. I do not wish to respond

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns:

You died, but there was a mistake in your paperwork so you were condemned to Hell.

In this universe, Hell is pretty bad. It's like 10X worse than the worst possible thing you could imagine, so you should just take my word for it that it's extremely unpleasant and you won't like it. In either case, you were condemned to suffer in it for the rest of eternity.

You tried to appeal your case with the Afterlife Human Resources Department, but your technical support ticket was rejected with the explanation that it is impossible to reverse afterlife decisions even if it was accidentally made in error. Your Hell sentence is permanent.

Anyhow, Satan walks up to you one day and offers you a deal:

• You will be reincarnated on Earth with a 100 year lifespan.
    • You get a magical "naughty" or "nice" indicator (it says whether people are destined for Heaven/Hell)
    • You must corrupt 1000 innocent people (they must be truly innocent and destined for Heaven)
    • Get them to turn evil in some way and do bad things, so they get sent to Hell

If you do these things, Satan will end your eternity of suffering and you will become a demon, who is a pawn of Satan with certain privileges. If you fail to accomplish these things within your 100 year lifespan, Satan will make your eternity of suffering 100X worse.

1. Would you accept this deal?

2. How would you corrupt someone? Do you feel like you are capable of corrupting people?

3. If you ended up in Hell, would your morality still matter to you? Why? Or why not? If you're going to become a demon anyway, why not give up on morality entirely?

4. If chain letters were real (i.e. "You will die of a terrible curse unless you send this to 10 more people"), would you send it along?

imK likes this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d like to think I wouldn’t. But to be honest, I have no way of knowing how much suffering I could take before I’d give in. If Hell is really that bad, I don’t know that I’d have the fortitude not to take it.
    2. How would you corrupt someone? Do you feel like you are capable of corrupting people?
    ...What are the rules on what gets you sent to Hell? If I spread the love of BL to others, would that count as corruption? Because I’ve already been doing that...
    3. If you ended up in Hell, would your morality still matter to you? Why? Or why not? If you're going to become a demon anyway, why not give up on morality entirely?
    Yes, my morality would still matter to me. I think I’d be full of guilt for a very long time. Eventually, I’d probably stop feeling guilty as a form of self-preservation...
    4. If chain letters were real (i.e. "You will die of a terrible curse unless you send this to 10 more people"), would you send it along?
    Not unless I can fulfill the deal through gentler methods, like the BL corruption. If you mean, would I send it in general? No, absolutely not.

lychee likes this.
  3. Nigred0

Nigred0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any isekai protag will just usurp Satan's power/throne and make him suffer instead. Or if Satan's a girl, make her submit.
    Also, is this for homework?
    In any case, corrupting "truly innocent" people "destined for heaven" shouldn't be too difficult once the first attempt succeeds, since the other 999 people will ideally have similar circumstances. All you have to do is figure out what your target believes in the most, and then have that belief be betrayed completely.

lychee likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    No, one doesn't simply just fix a mistake by making a mistake :blobwoah:

Maybe, maybe not :blobunsure:

Why would I want to be a demon, we humans are god(s best creation, why would I lower myself to be a demon, no thanks, I am keeping my morals :blobsweat_2:

No, chain letters are no fun, rather than wasting time sending them, I would rather read some novels or something, unless, rather than chain letters I get a Death Note, then I might consider it:hmm:

lychee likes this.
  5. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this reminded me of this game on steam called "afterparty". The journey of two lost souls in Hell trying to figure out why they're there.

Anyways
    1. Yes
    2. Corruption is simple. Tempt with the easy path, foot in the door technique, etc. Humans might start off as innocent babies, but since there are utterly manipualtive and mean hearted kids, I can't imagine it being too hard to corrupt most people who'd normally go to heaven (assuming you goto heaven for being a good person, not for asking for forgiveness for your sins and believing that Jesus is the son of God and took on the burden of our sins).
    3. Yes, because my morality is my personal compass. As long as I am me, it will be my guide. That said, maybe I'll learn something from this experience of corrupting people and adjust my moral values. After all, what is good without evil?
    4. If chain letters were real, most are harmless but some are harmful. I'd just install a filter to auto put them in junk so I could just bypass the issue. After all, people too lazy to mail, and even with physical mail, I only bother with official business or government related mail.

lychee likes this.
  6. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is all the information I've been given, I'd likely reject the deal. Why? Because it is too ambiguous and there are too many unknown variables. Pun intended, the contract is hella shady.
    For example, what is a 100 year lifespan? If I revive and immediately off myself on the top of a skyscraper, would I survive? Will chain smoking decrease this lifespan of mine?
    And what even is a definition of innocent? If innocence dictates strictly following the Ten Commandments, I can't be so sure that I could even find 1000 people. Because everyone lies at some point. And how many people still work on Sundays? And how many people in the world don't actually subscribe to this faith? Are non-heterosexuals destined to go to hell? If you've drank coffee, do you also doomed to eternal damnation? Are fans who idolize pop idols breaking the commandments?

I'm also extremely doubtful of what a demon is? Is it as good as one may assume, or is it Tortured Intern Plus, being in the same, exact position, but you're paid in something in a place where there's nothing to buy. Also, who's to say that Satan won't renege on his own deal? As much as the trope of demons never breaking deals or never lying is popular, there is no reason it isn't false. Additionally, it is also a common trope that demons make contracts that always ends badly with the contractee, or that they abuse the crap out of any loopholes they find.

And also, what the hell is wrong with the person who did the paperwork. If God couldn't create a perfect bureaucratic system, I have doubts God is perfect.

Honestly, I'd also be quite tempted to just take the deal, get to Earth, and convert to a different religion. I heard on the grapevine that praying to the Buddha does wonders.

For the last question, yes, I would. As a matter of fact, I would write one and send it to myself, because I wrote "You will be extremely lucky unless you send this to 10 other people."

On a side note, am I reading into these polls too much? :hmm:

Lurking, AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  7. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read into them however much or little as you like! I like reading your responses in either case!

8. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, no it's from Satan. Why would I trust a deal from the father of lies?

Oh yeah, definitely. It's called hentai and it's not that hard to make people go "corrupt" using it's power.

Well I mean, I still think there would be hope to get out of hell, so yeah I'd certainly try to keep good morals.

I would come to an agreement with an isolated group of people of the size required by the notice to send the chain mail to everyone else within the circle, that way everyone is safe from the message within the group and the message stays isolated.

lychee likes this.
  9. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Satan, hey, are you looking for interns right now? Is @lychee hiring for you? :hmm:

Let's look at my resume first.
    *Paper shows blood and gore.*
    Yep, looks like I'll fit right in.

Look into my magical ring. You're feeling tired...
    You're falling asleep...
    Now you're signing your soul to @Satan...

Morality still matters. There's no way I'm putting my toilet roll hanging behind.

"You'll remain a virgin unless you send this to 10 other people. Good luck. justabotwork"

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    lychee likes this.
  10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good and bad are but sides of the same coin.

Even the most innocent white lotus could end corrupted with the right nudge. An unforeseen event. But the detail of the existence of people destined for heaven brings forth the unknown that is how accurate predestination was on Earth. Was there even something or someone capable of calculating the moral compass of all beings of Earth with the infinite variants that affected humanity?

I didn't have to think twice before accepting the devil's offer.

My formative years were spent in solitude contemplating over the philosophical implications that good and evil presented, no answer ever appeared. My first victim, however, did.

The brightest ray of sunshine of my primary school. A girl whose life seemed so perfect that it affected those around her. People changed after coming into contact with her. They changed for 'better'. The possible results from my actions seemed so interesting that I couldn't help myself. A bit of observation and the use of an anonymous post on the internet was all it took for me to have a waste of oxygen force himself on her as she was on her way home.

And just like a firework, her innocence extinguished leaving nothing but embers. Her light faded but I still needed to force her upon a path of autodestruction. Which took the mundane form of a single pill. There was no need for me to create an entirely black existence, getting her hooked from a young age on drugs was more than enough. Just like how evil people can do good every once in a while, a good person could also commit evil for the sake of... dopamine rushes.

It was a good start. My first try didn't have to be successful, even if it ran quite smoothly. It gave me the confidence to continue meddling with other people's lives. And that was what I wanted.

One soon became ten and then ten eventually got to a thousand.

I did not take pleasure in my actions but I wasn't bothered by it either. I was a robot made of flesh fulfilling a task, and fulfill it I did.

The day the red counter at the edge of my vision hit 1000, I revealed to the world everything I had done. I died with a smile on my face as a grieving father shot me in the face. I wasn't happy in the slightest. But it felt like a fitting end.

I woke up to Satan himself giving me a few slow claps. A multitude of strange beings was also presenting its equivalent of claps but it ceased before I could observe anything noteworthy. Satan was about to speak.

"Congratulations. You are the first human to complete my challenge successfully in over a decade. The first one to ever complete it with full marks. My generals, who have been watching you, regard your executions as nothing short of perfection. So tell me human, what do you covet? I shall grant you a wish for your incredible performance. Is it women? Money? Power? Authority? Just say the word and reality shall be altered at your whim!"

"Oh. If so, I wish for true death."

Silence befell the burning castle's hall.

Satan, in a rare show of humanity, was dumbfounded. But his powers stood true to his words and erased me from existence before he could even react.

I had only lived because there was an end purpose to my life. I was entertained by the discovery of rules the universe acted under. To continue a pointless existence under pointless and nonsensical beings like God or Satan was simply too boring for me. Things were perfect the way they were. Life only made sense because death was the final end of the line. A continual existence as immortal being brought no benefits in my eyes.

I was tired of existing.

Drowsiness hit me hard midway through the prompt so my grammar might have not been the best but who cares. I wrote my daily amount of words and that's all that matters.

Ruyi, Diametric and lychee like this.
  11. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    pardon my language 1. Would you accept this deal?

Yes, but I'm not playing around with either of these assholes "sorry even if it was an error, if you're marked for hell, you're marked for hell" fuck you, you self righteous angel prick. "hey after I have tortured you enough to understand the eternity you have been fucked to through no fault of your own, I can't get you into heaven but if you go corrupt 1000 people I'll make you a demon and give you special privileges"
    Do you really think you can offer me demonhood and "special privileges" AFTER you torture the living shit out of me and all I have to do is corrupt some people? FUCK YOU Satan. I will turn the world upside down, I'll turn every sinner into a saint and every saint into a sinner. Malicious compliance is what I excel at.

Slowly tempt them with honeyed words making promises of paradise beyond imagination. "you know, it's not at all what people think, it is so much better"

Yes, my morality is grey at best, but it is MINE, you think I'll just let some God or devil dictate what my principals should be? HA!

Prolly not 'sidering chain letters are annoying and I'd rather not bother anyone.

lychee likes this.
  12. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    1 *waves tentacles*
    2 *waves tentacles*
    3 *waves tentacles*
    4 Nope.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) YES!
    2) Try to find their weak point and exploit it. Everyone has something that they will put even their ideals aside for if push comes to shove. Yes. I've gotten people to completely ignore their moral ideal and do something that they normally wouldn't have done(nothing illegal). That is all I would essentially be asked to do in corrupting someone just with the things I would be manipulating them to do being possibly illegal.
    3) Morality is subjective. If my surroundings change so would the morality that I live by. I may personally feel one way, but if that way of thinking is going to make my life harder then why stick to it.
    4) If they were real then yes. Why wouldn't I? It isn't like I would rather suffer the curse.

14. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who in their right mind would make a deal with the satan? As far as I'm concerned, satan aren't one of the people who will keep their end of the deal, or at least they won't without twisting the rules to suit their needs

imK likes this.
  15. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if he coerced me by threatening a loved one. I wouldn't accept it otherwise because he's Satan. He's the ruler of hell and king of the underworld. It's sort of his byline to corrupt people by any means necessary and deception isn't necessarily off the table.

I wouldn't, but it's not hard. Give them what they want in excess and watch them destroy themselves. Especially if you give them what they want vs what they need. I wouldn't want to corrupt other people anyway. I'm busy with my own life.

I don't know if it's morality and more sheer stubbornness. I'm a big believer in self-determination and the responsibility that goes with it. You bet your sweet ass I'd fight anybody who threatened that freedom.

Nah. Maybe if it was a nice chain letter. One of those motivational ones that tell strangers they're awesome and I hope they have a great day. The "Pass this on or else" type chain letters are stupid. So far I've died over a hundred deaths from not passing them on. I manage somehow.

16. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    1) almost definitely, when it comes to eternal suffering I'd probably do anything to get out of it

2) I've never tried corrupting someone, but I assume the easiest method is drugs. Get some homeless people or kids hooked on something bad until they become reliant on it and then manipulate them into doing bad stuff to get more of it.
    Blackmailing someone to do repeatedly worse acts and then using said acts as blackmail for even worse acts I think would also be a reliable method of corrupting innocent people.

3) To me, morality is a system in which everyone partakes in order to give everyone the best benefits. Like if everyone agrees murder is morally wrong, then I am less likely to be murdered.

If I'm already in hell then the system has failed me, so unless there's some kind of social life dictated by morals in hell then I've got nothing to gain by partaking in the system any more.

Or so I say... I think I'd still have a visceral aversion to doing immoral things, but force myself to do them if it's necessary for my survival

4) I think if it is well known that these chain mail thingies are real then whoever I send them to will also know to send them on. I think I'd send them to some random people I don't have any relation with just in case, though.

But if everyone deals with them this way, the chances are that the amount of chain mails people receive would keep racking up until it's no longer feasible to send them all on. In which case lots of people would suffer.

I think it's a variation of the prisoners dilemma with lots of people: if everyone sends them then everyone suffers, and if less people send them then less people suffer, but if you receive one then you will suffer unless you send it no matter what other people do.

I think in this case, though, people would stop using this kind of messaging service and only use voice chat or something like that. Or a bot that automatically prevents messages like that from being sent in the system.

17. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make a deal with Lucifer like that? Hell to the no.

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) 100 years of peace in exchange for an eternity of suffering a 100x worse punishment? @HELL NO.

2) I wouldn't and I'm not capable of it.

3) Because I'm still me and I don't like doing what I dislike. As simple as that~

4) It would depend on the curse of the chain letter... If it was minor enough to endure, then I wouldn't... If it was too big, then I would probably send to a specific group of people and talk to them about how we could keep the chain letter among ourselves to stop spreading it any further. (Like, if I need to send it to 10 people, I send it and then all those 10 people send the chain to the same people on the group that received it.)

19. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Only in a moment of weakness, perhaps if my suffering got too much for me. Otherwise...

heck no! What is Satan playing at? Threatening me with worse torment if I don’t complete a volunteer job recruiting more souls FOR him???

This whole thing smells like one big conspiracy. Maybe my accidental assignment to Hell wasn’t so much an accident as a test to see how far I’d fall once I hit rock bottom. Maybe I’ll lose my chance out of here as soon as I accept the deal. After all, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Even the reward in the end is to just stay in Hell as a slightly more privileged underling of a demon boss for eternity? No thanks.

If I didn’t get into Heaven because of this strange mistake, I sure as Hell won’t have a chance after going on Satan’s mission.

Yeah no, I’d feel too bad...sorry man. Maybe I could bribe them with cookies at most.

It’s not the place that makes the person but the person themselves. This is true in everyday life, not just Hell. If you placed an Angel in Hell would they turn into a demon just because they’re surrounded by brimstone and fire?

I think it’s more important to stay true to your heart, not external forces. You can still choose to live and die as you, not what everyone else pushes you to be (looking at you there Satan).

Wow, no! Why would I do that? It’s just adding more bad karma points to me, man.

imK likes this.
  20. Great

Great Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Since I could not imagine what its look like. But maybe at my desperate moment, I would say..... maybe?

I don't know. I don't think I ever done that before..... maybe..... threatening them?

Hmmm, maybe there demon with morality?

Of course not. Just at least one of it let it end here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.