How are JP names adressed?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnknownSaint171, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Do last names come first like "Shiba Tatsuya"? or is it "Tatsuya Shiba"?
    Does it even matter? I hope someone can explain this to me.

Also do Isekais even have honorifics? At the most, I've seen Sama but I find it hard to believe they can address western last names with san at the end, it'd be too weird if they call someone John Smith-san or something right? Or do they just use first names and say John-san

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  2. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    The naming rule for japan is Surname followed by Given name
    And for isekai's I believe that would depend on the author and the translators so that's a case by case-based
    so yeah, can't help with that

3. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    umm last names come first and depending on who they are talking to, it can vary on how they are addressed. A person close to them might just call them by their first name with an honorific or without, or someone may call them by their last name w/out an honorific. So there's a few ways to call someone based on just that. Also it shouldn't be hard to believe, not really, because when you read manga or watch anime, there are always gonna be some western/ non-japanese names in non-japanese settings and they still use honorifics. Isekai novels wouldn't be any different. Sometimes they don't use them, but using them is a way for the author to let you know more of the characters relationship with each other. It's just the "Japanese flavor" so just take it as it comes I guess.

Depending on the translator though, some choose to leave honorifics out.

4. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    Your question just opens a whole can of worms about Japanese etiquette and honorifics, which in all intends and purposes, are complicated as hell.

Simple answer is they can add -san on both first/last name. Even -kun, -chan, etc... It all depends on context.
    And Japanese name is "Shiba Tatsuya". Last name > given name. Uzumaki Naruto for example. Or Shinzo Abe

5. MissHepsy

MissHepsy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, last names always come first. But, it can get confusing because some translators just put the original format of last name, first name (which by the way, you have to put a comma after the last name I believe, at least in the U.S. if you're translating in English). Last Names are addressed first in Japanese because it's formal, and it will come across as very intimate if you say someone's first name.

Lots of isekais have honorifics. Some isekais have European-esque names, too. When they use European-esque names, yeah they kinda use the honorific, but it doesn't sound weird in Japanese (at least to me) because your mind isn't thinking about English grammar that much when you read in another language.

And reading your questions again : I think they use the first name when they use European-like names, because just as we are aware of their naming scheme, they are also aware of our naming scheme.

6. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably just unnatural because you aren't Japanese.
    If I said "Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto", it wouldn't be as odd. (Atleast to me)

Last names come first, and you normally refer to someone by their last name unless you're real close.

7. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese has the proper naming sense....the family name comes first then your name.....u dont exist if there was no parents to create you....
    simple as that.....
    they will use Smith-san....unless a person permits, no Japanese person EVER calls someone by their first name.....its highly offensive if the person is not an acquaintance....

8. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're talking about isekai logic just give up. Look at this example, most isekai novel will have adventure guild and the rank is from the lowest is "F" Rank up to "A" Rank in English alphabet and beyond that is "S" up to "SSS" Rank. Remind you there is no explanation of why it always using the English alphabet, even with auto language comprehension ability (auto google translate) it's still ......... somewhat weird (rough explanation is like literate in the illiterate world)

Another thing is Jp food banzai, if you're given food that you'd never tasted before will you say woahhh this is so delicious, more delicious from my own country cooking, my mother's food pale in comparison and bla bla bla....
    The logic from food banzai is MC always sent into civilization equal to middle age from our earth but food culture just equal to stone age from earth where they only know grilling food as the only method of cooking

Edit : so if you want to add honorific in isekai, its up to you. Nobody will find it strange if you add it or not

9. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Macro to micro language: “In identifying a person, place, and time, the most specific point appears last.”

10. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    Never swap. If Miyuki is being called Shiba-san, keep it as Shiba-san. I abhor translators that will translate a line that reads "Shiba-san" as "Miyuki". Even more than those, I hate the translators that will change someone calling someone "Senpai" the person's actual name. IE in instead of "Hey, Senpai" (talking to Tatsuya), they will translate it as "Hey, Tatsuya". Fucking no, please.

Diametric likes this.
  11. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    exactly. Personally, I think honorific are super important to the story, or at least if someone calls someone by their last name instead of first name. Fine, maybe translators don't wanna keep the honorific but at least try to find some sort of general English equivalent, or just keep in senpai. Even professional published books, even they keep in the words from other languages by italicizing or something so it shouldn't be that hard.

12. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Surname or family name first then given name

13. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd rather they outright remove kun/san/chan instead of replace it with shit like mister and misses. No one calls their same age peers MR, god that shit is cringe. If it's a teacher, go for it, replace sensei with Mr/Mrs if you want. (Although I still prefer honorifics)

14. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    The most annoying thing is that some translators swap the first and last names so every time I read a new novel I need to figure out whether the main character is called John Smith or Smith John, and try to figure out whether he's closer to the friend that calls him John-kun or Smith-kun...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.