Discussion Least favorite novel ending(s)?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by animefan217, Jul 4, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeZach90

eyeZach90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst part of the whole harem fad is that there is no good way to end them. I can't think of one that had a good ending. Ok seems to be the best you can do.

I thought Date A Live had a shot at it doesn't seem likely.
    In theory each girl could have their own copy of the MC that is in love with them alone, but that doesn't seem likely.

I hate the "all the cool stuff ends" ending (unless the supernatural stuff is a death game or something). Just feels like a cop out.

2. Wandering Cultivator

Wandering Cultivator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the endings where the author decides to try for a mind-f*ck ending but the twist is so d*mn stupid it ruins the story.
    Also, ones where everything was just a dream, or some sort of illusion.
    Lastly, the ones where the characters were just in purgatory the whole time. Always stupid.

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you say that? As long as it's not supposed to be a regular Romance what's really keeping harem stories from having good endings. Sure, most of the Japanese stories that try to do this don't end well, but that has more to do with the writers not having a clue what they're doing rather than any problem inherent to the story mechanic.

yorozuyaginchan and Sabruness like this.
  4. eyeZach90

eyeZach90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe not impossible but i feel the harem mechanic is more challenging to give a satisfying ending than many other story types, YMMV.

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I absolutely agree. Harem stories are much harder to write than regular ones and a weaker writer will make a complete mess of it. But with more characters to write in and the added number of interpersonal relationships, a good writer can do great things with a harem. As with any other writing mechanic, even when it's bad most of the times you see it, it doesn't mean that it's impossible to execute correctly.

Sabruness likes this.
  6. longshot3990

longshot3990 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually hate harem novels in general since a lot of the endings are bad in that the author doesn't give a personality to them apart from 'liking the MC'. I also hate the ones that get rushed right at the last 100 chapters or so, or the ones that just stop all together with a mystery type ending that is not good plot wise. Can't do any specifics as I've read 500+ novels by now and the plots are a soup in my head at this point.

7. jason3893

jason3893 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that this novel's ending is the only one that I actually hate in every aspect. All other endings I don't like are just disappointing because the ending was rushed or the author lost interest and the quality fell before it was dropped.
    The only novel were the ending made me sad rather than disappointed was cut & paste because the cause of its fall in quality and eventual end was the author's health issues and eventual death.

8. nandakishore2009

nandakishore2009 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ending where everything is back to square one.

Sabruness likes this.
  9. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhh yesss agree, but it's better with the girl from the alchemy sect. I don't remember the story anymore

yorozuyaginchan and elengee like this.
  10. Number One Dumpling

Number One Dumpling 『Mrs. Bread's』『hibernating』

Reading List:
    Link
    Endings where the chapters were rushed and the villains just miraculously 'dies'. Those kinds of ending also pisses me off cuz although the MC gets a 'happy end' somehow the side characters are forgotten? Where did they go? Gone. They just vanish into thin air. So many loose ends that are not tied up and it honestly leaves me so unsatisfied especially when the world building is very good and the plot epic but then when you reach the end it just feels empty.

11. Ginko Biloba

Ginko Biloba [♤Blackjack Sect Mascot♤] [☆100MB SPAMMER☆]

Reading List:
    Link
    Endings of Quick, Hubby, All Aboard, then Living to suffer and last ending of One Night, One Day, One year

Quick, Hubby, All Aboard -The author dropped it, but to give it an ending the author crammed the conflict, climax and ending in one chapter through summary form (It might have been better if author just bulleted it)

Living to suffer - given the title I have expected it to have a bad ending, but still I can't help but hate the ending even though I have already prepared myself for it.

One night, one day, one year - The ending of this one crushed my heart and left me with thoughts, all hypothetical alternate endings for the main characters. The story is good and the ending can be called fitting to the story but I can't help but hate it because everytime I remember the ending I feel the same regret I feel whenever I pass on buying stuff I want because I wait for the price to lower but it doesn't and it gegs sold out.....and I really hate this feeling.

12. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, so there's this Zombie Apocalypse story, MC is a transmigrator, it looked normal at first, but nope.
    MC is the protagonist of her Zombie Apocalypse world, FL is the protagonist of another Zombie Apocalypse world. MC is transmigrated into FL's ex girlfriend, the one who betrayed her in the past life. It turned out fl's 'ex' who pushed her is the soul of a quick transmigration agent, so by that time the original ex's soul is gone. FL rebirth, MC came. MC has special golden finger, her system (other personality). Later, at the end, since one world couldn't have two protagonist, MC became... a black hole!? And FL became a white hole to save MC. and then I forgot what happened, happily ever after end.
    ... The ending was kinda pure nonsense and I was like, wtf I was reading, the entire novel is solid except the ending....

13. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    open ended ones. Or at least ones that don’t end up with the mc dying (happy ending kinda die), ones that leave the story with an ending, not tie up the story but just end it happily. I just don’t feel like that’s a real ending tbh

14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i think i remember hearing about that novel(s) but i dont remember the name because the sheer stupidity of an ending like that caused a short brainfart that wiped the memory of it.

the only good harem endings i've read are the ones where the authors actually have the literary balls to actually do a proper, legit true harem ending that is the result of actual foch'ing relationships developing throughout the novel.
    Probably the best harem ending i've read so far is Magika's.

an ending that disappointed me in it's blunt shortness, despite the awesome rest of the story, was Heavenly Jewel Change. ti's was like an abrupt, derp ending when the author called have spent a few more chapters to do a proper epilogue.

15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it was pretty popular at the start. He begins with a demonic and an angelic waifu and they're naked and have to be bound because they lost their physical bodies or strength. 200 chapters in, he's already groping his fiancee, junior sister, senior sister, cold beauty, cold beauty's teacher, fiancee's teacher. And you're like oh this is pretty ecchi wish fulfillment and face slapping. Then later on author wants to add actual 'depth' and get rid of 2d characters, not much remains lol. (pretty sure it was a typical alchemist genius cultivator novel.

I liked the ending to EER although it goes from avoiding relationships to jumping into them all at the same time and wraps things up in 10 chapters or whatever, at least it's like 'and then they fucked'. And time skip to satisfying ending.

Sabruness likes this.
  16. Krr1ss

Krr1ss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many, for example i didn't like how it got on a last arc in ISSTH
    - I mean they just go and destroy the whole world and many of charasters are killed and mc goes from immortal to demon and whatnot. Author just dropped a bomb on us-

Also world of cultivation kind of got rushed and skipped a bit there..
    Ze Tian Ji even doesn;t have ending.. literally they skipped last arc, I mean I am reading and i am like- (SPOILER) " oh he got to that long ago foreshadowed world and is going to fight god, oh other characters are going to come as well, i can't wait too see them reunited with others and start that last adventure, let us click on next chapter.." and than there is no next chap.. I mean he just
    accepted apprientece and now thare is going to come Yourong and the rest, reunite with that swordxMaiden duo and go in a final fight against god but too bad not even ending it..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  17. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where in the end it's found out that everything was a dream/false. If an author end a story like that I lose all respect for him/her.

18. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    Does axed novels count? Though, technically they don't even have endings... Or every single JP harem novel with open or single girl ending. Honestly, I have seen so many trash endings, that I have trouble choosing just 1 or 2

19. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Novel's Extra
    Monster Who Level's Up

This 2 novels have the same author and have the same problems:

This author has a problem of setting up a good story but then turning it into shit around halfway through.

This author also has a problem of setting up a bunch of love interests/ setting up for a harem ending, and then having the protagonist only choose one. Like, WTF Wallet Song(Author) don't set up for a harem ending just to make it a single girl ending. He also has a history of lying to his readers on multiple occasions.

You do know that the author for "Lord of the Mysteries" is planning to write a part 2 right?

I agree,

Life, Once Again and Seoul Station's Necromancer have such shit endings

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
    yorozuyaginchan likes this.
  20. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, can you spoil them for me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.