Have you ever had a novel where you Rage-Quit?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by animefan4004, Jul 28, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you have no idea what you're talking about. The thing is that the kind of book that gets readers is only a small subset of the books that are good (and popular) in China. For example, proper wuxia is extremely popular in China and everyone reads it, or at least the famous ones. On NU though, probably fewer than 10% of readers do so. In fact, a lot more readers assume that they know what wuxia is than those that read it.

Another example is historical novels. These books are quite popular in China despite how difficult they are to write, and they are commonly adapted to mainstream TV shows. But nobody really translates them because it requires a lot of writing skill and familiarity with the time period, and they just don't have the readership to justify that effort.

Muspon likes this.
  2. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Historical chinese novel wouldn't get popular in novelupdates because difference in culture. I have read some of your historical novel and they are too barbaric for my taste. Like wtf, maids and eunuchs are getting executed because they did a small mistake and also because they are easily replaced. No one want to read a novel where lives are taken lightly. And if you want to counter my argument with wuxia, xianxia, and xuanhuan with how mcs are slaughtering like 50% of world's population, i dont read them anymore.

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See this perfectly illustrates what I'm talking about. You obviously have never read any wuxia novels but you still assume you know what they're like. Besides, the genres I brought up are only a few of the ones that don't get translated. There's tons of other stuff like Mystery, (proper) Science Fiction, War, Sports, and significant subgenres like Business and Politics. The people who read Chinese translations on NU have very narrow tastes and are not at all representative of what's written in Chinese web novels or even what's popular among those books.

4. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a reason why stereotype most of the time is true. I have been reading webnovels (jp, kr, and cn) and chinese novels have the highest amount of racism and overnationalism, i dont know whether author are required by chinese gov to include it. Use examples if you cant make a proper argument, not "you have not read the truly good genres of chinese novels". And no, i know what wuxia is, my previous message are about xianxia and xuanhuan in general where mc is slaughterer worse than hitler. Do you think i never watched any old chinese wuxia movies in my local television?

5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't be bothered to remember their titles and I no longer blindly go investing my time and emotions into a novel, I get some spoilers first... But I rage quit a few novels back then - braindead CEO romances where the ML abuses the FL because of some contrived misunderstanding, the FL has a victim complex and Stockholm syndrome, and both continuously make dumbass decisions... I stay far away from such novels now. They're all pretty much the same anyway.

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  6. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you have read Bringing the National Husband Home... lol
    Missunderstanding novels are the worst.

ludagad likes this.
  7. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribble Hub's The Bloodiest Mage. The MC get mentally possessed/control and looses all of his money because of a vampire then risks his life to save that very vampire. The fact that it was tagged clever protagonist really took me to the moon.

Edit to add: Something I've found that I really don't like is when the author describes the MC as smart then makes them do something so dumb the next few chapters.

8. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Lapsy

Lapsy New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze tian ji 469, my reading got whole lot slower after that

10. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    My wife is a beautiful ceo. The main character is the epitome of thrash who tries to justify what he does. One moment he is talking about how he cares about his wife, next chapter he is already trying to get in some other girl pants. The wife actually admits that she loves him and that she hates him cheating which makes him feel guilty and apologize just for him immediately to try to sleep again with some other women. One of these women include the wife best friend. Like I am not a huge fan of harem stories but I don't really mind them either, but being such a huge hypocrit takes the cake. If this was a novel with a female lead or a other main character this mc would have been the antagonist douchebag who cheats every single moment he gets.

Aside from that the main character is one of the strongest people in the world, but for some reason he always lets things escalate to a stupid degree, for example he and another girl gets kidnapped, instead of just immediately taking care of the villain he waits, lets himself get tied up and brought to some place with the girl, let several guys come over with guns saying all these stuf about raping the girl, while the girl is fearing for her life before actually taking action. Other example is he goes drinking with his wife and several other men, acts like he gets drugged and that he is passed out while the female is extremely scared about the guys there raping her before taking action.

I ragedquit when he still kept trying to get in the milf pants eventhough she ghosted him like many times, like seriously my man are all the other women not enough there is no need for you to be so desperate. How this has so many high ratings is something i still can't understand

novaes likes this.
  11. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    Why has nobody mentioned Mercedes Lackey yet?
    God her books are practically the definition of "great concept, poor execution".

I think the one from her that made me ragequit (more like annoyancequit) was the Dragon Jouster series. Books 1 & 2? Amazing. Book 3? So mediocre I don't even remember what happened in it. Book 4?

I actually read the Amazon reviews for it since I planned on buying it, but they essentially convinced me to borrow it from the library to hateread it instead. :blobpopcorn_two:

It is 1/2 the thickness of the other books & was rushed out, which lead people to speculate that she did this just for extra money (which is weird because she's an acclaimed fantasy author who has a writing career all the way from the 80s). The MC goes from a free-thinking ex-war slave to a total chauvinist who tells his GF that she & her female troops can't fight with them because it's too dangerous for girls. The GF turns from a brave Amazoness healer/fighter into a gossipy bitch who constantly trashtalks him to her female troops like it's Mean Girls.

Also the MC's missing mother shows up & she's suddenly all "i hate nobles but i also think they're better than us & commoners should not mingle with them" so she's constantly degrading the GF (from nobility) while also being fearful of her. And she keeps trying to get the MC to abandon the GF for a random common girl who took care of MC's mom & therefore that means she is better than GF. The common girl actually thinks she has a chance with MC, the rich powerful commander/war hero, just because his mom likes her more than the rich powerful beautiful commander/war hero GF. ._.

Also there was some ridiculous stuff thrown in about gods & all the main characters are now the reincarnation of good gods while the bad guys are the evil gods. MC was supposed to sacrifice himself to save the world, but instead a random guy who was only introduced briefly is like "no i'll do it" & then he dies & MC gets his happily ever after.

If it's webnovels though.....honestly I can't really think of one? Usually I either read the raws or spoiler threads, so I end up quitting before having to wait for the translated version to come out. :hmm:

My feelings on them are usually just "my disappointment is immeasurable & my day is ruined". There's more fanfics out there that I can remember ragequitting over haha.

As for manga/webtoons, it'd have to be the BL story "Wish Me Love". The MC (uke) is unbelievably selfish, hypocritical & homophobic. The kind of bitchy entitled white lotus heroine character that villainess novels love to use as an antagonist.

I dropped it out of fury when he blamed the ML (seme), who is openly gay, for not going on a double date with girls & for not being nice to them (he told them he was gay & one of them slapped the ML in the face before they stormed off). Did I mention that the ML is also the MC's boss??? And the MC already went to him & sold him his body to pay off his parents' debt, but in a way where the MC was constantly degrading him & acting like the ML was super disgusting for forcing him to do so. :blobfearful:

I HAVE seen the reviews that said he gets better & learns from it, but I am NOT willing to put up with the MC's abhorrent behavior, lack of self-awareness & his eagerness to engage in as much homophobia as possible whenever the chance arises.

Honestly, it's like you could be talking about coffee with him & when you say "i like mochas", he'd reply back with "let's go throw eggs at queers to let them know how wrong they are" & then when you say "what the fuck is wrong with you", he'd start crying about how you are being cruel to him for no reason.

Like I don't care about his redemption, he's literally just hot garbage to me.

12. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/tranxending-vision/ hated how nearly everyone took advantage of him and in two scenes a female character was teaching not to get distracted by working out in sexy gym clothes and when later gets a boner she get annoyed and shots him with one of those fake bullets in the crotch. I'm like wtf you think was going to happen you knew how he'd react so why get mad?

13. redanxela

redanxela Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, there are three; a three I can vividly recall.

My wife is a beautiful CEO. Someone else made mention of it and utterly got my point out. MC is a real trash and utterly useless, moreso this novel killed every hope I had for harem novels. Throughout the entire span I read it,MC goes head over heels on his supposed wife who doesn't give a f**k about him, while treating every women who loved him (or who author failing tried to write as loving MC cause it's just one dimensional characters swooning over an as*hole for no reason.) Like sex objects.

The women MC supposedly loves get mentioned two chapters in a 100 or so and only when MC gets too horny to have an iota of sense does he visit, have sex and they get shelved for another 100+ chapters before MC feels the need again.

Second one will the The human emperor. God this stuff is bad, as in real bad. It's just all over the place, nothing is really addressed, every arc there's a new "the real incident that brought down the tang empire." At first, MC resolve an incident that he terms as what actually caused the country downfall, 300+ chapter later, another one pops up and like that it went all the way. You can't help to ask how come the empire even last so long with how many "incident that truly brought it down."

Another thing about it is the filler. You can go through 50+ chapters and seriously it doesn't progress the plot, just the same old thing author is trying to describe differently. And for Christ sake how can a battle (not war, yes a f**cking Battle) Take 150+ chapters!! God that fillers are just too much!!

Last but absolutely not the least I'm really a superstar. I once wrote a 1000+ word on how bad this novel is. First it's mostly based on comedy and face slapping whatnot, but then comedy gets old real fast, it turns to some stupid stuff author writes and the characters laugh at the supposed funny action. Face slapping is stupid, everything MC did, every action he took has the shadow of the system behind it. MC never as in never once used his God-damned brain to solve a problem and yet he feels gratified, moreso proud at being utterly useless for not being able to handle anything by himself.

Zero character progression, well not entirely true, MC did progress, but from bad to worse. He handles all situation like a God-damned kid. I'm a kid myself, and I can do way better than that stuck up asshole. Plot is entirely repetitive just a rinse and repeat nothing new. Racism turned out to be the final straw that broke my camel's back. I don't need to talk much on that, anyone that read the novel got the gist.

14. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot the title, but i remember rage quit one wn because the author pulled a literal deus-ex-machina at an ending of its volume to prevent the MC from dying, destroying whatever pitiful world-rule that he has managed to built on that novel. It was a "what the hell" Moment for me, and i decide to quit reading it once and for all

15. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped "The Lady is a Stalker"

Usually, it's heavily against my MO to drop a story even if I know spoilers I don't agree with (and it's helped me cling to quite a few manhwa that turned out to be amazing), but I pretty much had to stop at around Chapter 20.

You see, the ML is a tsundere, and while that's fine by itself every interaction he and the MC go through ends up the exact same. Like, imagine every tsundere stock phrase piled into eight different conversations over several different chapters and no progression. Literally nothing felt like it was changing or progressing each time they interacted, it was basically the same song and dance.

IIRC according to some of the translators, Korean readers were actually shocked it got picked up for a paid version due to how poorly it was received.

16. Klazy Labbit

Klazy Labbit Peko peko peko~

Reading List:
    Link
    I have rage quit many fanfics....and as for novels....I have learned to just drop it if things go south. I don't get angry anymore but back when I was a newbie to the eastern fantasy genre, I did rage quit king of gods.....I mean it was a good bool at first but I hated how he was running behind that zhao girl and she would just go to a higher realm where some random young master would take a liking to her but she doesn't want to marry them but 'family' forces her.

I wouldn't get angry if it happened once but this happened at least three times and man was I frustrated....

Muspon likes this.
  17. NovelReaderAnonymous

NovelReaderAnonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg I remember this piece of shit now lol, I went to read the raws and got near the end. I can tell you it get worse and worse holy fucking shit. Like the MC is the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen and the biggest hypocrite ever. First he literally goes around sleeping with every women thinking its ok even after his wife admit to loving him and doesn't want him to be with other girls. The women in the novel are equally trash because they know he is happily married but all do whatever they can to throw themselves at him. The worst part is many of them are good friends or literally family member of his wife.

I think the one scene that pissed me off the most was him talking his wife down. He literally said some bullshit like all of these women sacrificed for me, I can't abandon them. I was like BITCH WHEN??? Like only women beside his wife who did anything for him was the older sister of his wife's police friend. Who literally sacrificed herself into forced marriage where she would likely be treated like a slave to get him out of some shit and she doesn't even want to sleep with him. The other person would be the scientist lady who had a crush on him for the longest time and probably deserve to be with him the most but he literally pushed her away all the way until he has this large ass harem. I was so mad when I read that like wtf have any of your harem ever done for you aside from literally throwing themselves at the MC or into really really really dangerous situation forcing the MC to rescue them and take them as his lover.

My god I don't think a novel ever pissed me off as much as this one did, it legit just get worse and worse as it goes on.

18. Lijaba

Lijaba Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The demonic king chases his wife
    It annoying me how the mc was supposed to be powerful but in every scene she had to be rescued by the male lead.

SayMrrp, KageTokage and novaes like this.
  19. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weakest Occupation “Blacksmith” Become The Strongest
    I actually got upset at how bad and bland it was. But I don't think it quite counts as "rage quit" so..
    Beastmaster of the Ages
    I thought it would be good by the ratings (rookie msitake), but it's one of the most supremely awful experiences I've ever had.

20. blazingseraph

blazingseraph Professional GL Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Mary Sue Meets Cinderella
    I was pretty excited to read it since the premise seemed fun but then I got 30(?) chapters in using the MTL and the high school setting suddenly turned really weird??? Like why did a vampire suddenly show up??? The plot was really dumb and the humor just wasn't there. I wouldn't say I "rage quit" but it did make me exit out since things got way too nonsensical in an unfun way.

Muspon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.