[Poll] Does mother know best?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Aug 8, 2020.

Tags:
?

If your mom refused to explain herself, at what age would you leave the boat?

1. Less than 8 years old

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 9-10 years old

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. 11-12 years old

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. 13-14 years old

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 15-16 years old

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 17-18 years old

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  7. 19-20 years old

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. 21-23 years old

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  9. 24-26 years old

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  10. 27-30 years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 31-35 years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 36-40 years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 41-50 years old

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. 51-60 years old

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  15. 61+ years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. I would never leave the boat

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  17. I'm unsure

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  18. I do not wish to respond

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So!

You were reborn in a fantasy universe and you live with your mom on a boat. You have lived on this boat for your entire life (~16 years), and occasionally this traveling boat stops in various harbors of enormous cities with all kinds of pretty lights.

However, you mom has one rule: You can't go outside.

Her explanation is extremely simple: "If you go outside, you will die, so don't go outside."

You're very frustrated by this rule because obviously there are plenty of other humans walking around outside in the harbor. Occasionally, you chat with people who visit your boat (mostly people delivering stocks and supplies), and overall they seem very friendly and nice. There appears to be nothing dangerous or suspicious outside on the land. From time to time, various dock workers have flirted with you and asked you out on dates, but you've declined saying that you're not allowed to leave the boat.

You've asked your mom why you can't leave the boat multiple times, but she refuses to explain the reason why (she says you're not ready to know yet). She just tells you not to do it, that it's bad for you, that you would die, and not to question her because she knows what's best.

1. Would you ever leave the boat?

2. At what age would you decide to leave the boat if your mom never explained herself?

3. If you left the boat for 5 minutes and nothing bad happened, would you leave the boat for a longer period next time?

4. When you were growing up, did you listen to you parents?

imK likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So reminiscent of The Waterboy...

3. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm big on explanations and honesty. So I would simply tell mother she has two choices. Give me the reasoning behind why I will die if I leave the boat, or watch me leave. I'm guessing there is something preventing her from giving me that information, but I will still give her a chance to find a workaround.

4. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    She would eventually tell you that there's a curse, and she believes that it's better for you if you don't know about the details of the curse.

imK likes this.
  5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    My own mom sometimes made unreasonable demands of me without explaining why or giving an equally unreasonable explanation. (One example I can remember: I wasn’t allowed to use cruise control while driving.) If I could get away with disobeying (and if it made sense to disobey), I did so when and where I could, even though I’d get in serious trouble if caught. Mom had trouble grasping the idea that I was taught critical thinking in school, and I wasn’t going to be obedient easily without reasonable explanations.

I don’t know what age I’d leave the boat, but it would be no later than my teens. I’m actually a fairly law abiding citizen, so if you give me a reason to obey the rule, I’ll probably do it. (Example: someone once asked me if I would ever turn left on a red light when it’s the middle of the night and no one’s around. My answer: Unless the light seems broken, no. The other person seemed disdainful of my answer, but whatever. You never know if someone’s going to suddenly come around a corner or other blind spot. Better to obey the law and be sure you won’t cause an accident. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

.Lance, IrregularPerson, jppe and 5 others like this.
  6. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well i'd still try to leave the boat anyway, not letting my mother of someone else hold me back. if something happens then it happens~(y)

it is kinda my principle though, not letting someone else or something to hold me back when i want to do something

7. Yaoikun

Yaoikun The other Red Siblings | Cursed Black Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the fantasy mother pretty?

8. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm it depends. Is there internet inside the boat?

imK and Deleted member 38284 like this.
  9. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a fantasy universe, so there's no Internet. However, there are various kinds of magical entertainment thingies.

imK likes this.
  10. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I would probably be ready to die at 50+ so I would just say f*** it and leave the boat. Whatever the consequences are.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  11. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you ever leave the boat?
    yes, at some point in time
    2. At what age would you decide to leave the boat if your mom never explained herself?
    it depends, really.
    if I've interacted with handsome guys at the dock, maybe 17-ish
    if I remained the shy and introverted shut-in I was, I'd be satisfied with all the entertainment a boat can give me,since I wouldnt have touched the outside world
    3. If you left the boat for 5 minutes and nothing bad happened, would you leave the boat for a longer period next time
    I would not leave the boat for 5 minutes, it would not bring me anywhere if I was wandering.
    we argue a lot and I dont listen to them occasionally

I want to know why would mum dock. can she get out of the boat?

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing up a complicated curse just for fun~ (note: only the mother is aware of the curse).
    A. If you are aware of this curse, it will be passed on to all of your direct descendants (children).

B. Whenever you are off the boat, your lifespan rapidly decreases at a rate determined by the alignment of the stars. Although it's difficult to say how quickly it declines, a rough estimate would be 1 year lifespan lost for every 5 minutes off the boat.

C. You can break the curse for your unaware descendants (as long as they haven't learned of the curse) by sacrificing 7 innocent people to the Sea God in the middle of the Blahblahblah Ocean.​

Therefore... the mother is actively and secretly trying to collect victims to sacrifice to the Sea God so that she can break the curse for her child (who is unaware of the curse), who can't be made aware of the curse because otherwise the curse is permanent and will be passed on their own descendants.

.Lance, imK and Deleted member 38284 like this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    She normally doesn't get out of the boat either.

She docks because the two of you still need to eat, and she trades for supplies with traders who visit the boat.

imK likes this.
  14. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    ah, then if she stays in the boat I'll also remain on the boat

15. Snowflake1

Snowflake1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At some point you just won't be able to stay on the boat anymore. As a little kid it might still be your whole world, but as you grow older your gonna start realising that it's not normal to not be able to leave a boat. I think at that point in time you're still gonna listen to your mom and accept it. This kind of believe in parents wears of in your teens. It's then that you start to waver but still stay because the threat of dying is keeping you from doing something reckless. Then, depending on how decisive you are, you're gonna leave sooner or later, but I think you're still going to leave before 20.

lychee and Deleted member 38284 like this.
  16. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My eighteenth spring was approaching fast and I hadn't landed a single foot on solid ground in my entire life. Mother always said the same.

"If you go outside, you will die, so don't go outside."

And it was getting on my nerves. Plenty of girls around my age were already starting to have kids and here I was, destined to rot away on a boat.

John, a handsome youth with a charming smile, had repeatedly asked me out every time we docked but Mother always shooed him off.

I knew from John's tales that there was next to no peril on firm land other than the occasional flood. So, why not leave the boat? Mother wasn't going to be back till nightfall. Tying my hair in a messy bun, I put on the floral shoes John had gifted me last summer and prepared myself for the first adventure of my life.

I was going to get some Dahlias and be the one to ask John out this time.

upload_2020-8-8_18-28-43.jpeg

3. If you left the boat for 5 minutes and nothing bad happened, would you leave the boat for a longer period next time?

Of course, our FL has a ML to capture.

Asian parents have quite persuasive sticks to make you agree.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh anyone who says they wouldn’t have run off that boat a couple of years after they learned how to walk is either delusional or has never met a child in their life. Unless the mother puts a leash on her kid, the question really isn’t “if” but “when”. And a teenager? Good lord. They’re never coming back.

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    This is great! I love it!

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  19. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would leave at a very young age because...reckless+youth
    You also never included memories of past life, so this poll does not make much sense

20. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2020-8-8_18-40-37.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.