Recommendations Print Novels? fantasy/scifi

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Tresdin, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Tresdin

Tresdin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I'm asking for print I guess webnovels are fine too. I'm looking for some fantasy or sci-fi with similarities to Legend of the Great Saint, Dungeon Defense, Dune, or Game of Thrones. As for specifics, I don't really want a bunch of different point of views unless the author is a god at writing them all like in Dune or GoT. Also I favor faster paced novels.

thanks!

2. Bagelson

Bagelson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any time anyone asks for scifi, I'll happily recommend Bujold's Vorkosigan saga. The Honor Harrington books are also great if you like a military space opera flavor.

On the fantasy side I've been rereading Sanderson's The Way Of Kings recently, and there's a reason it shows up on every recommendation list the past several years. Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy transfixed me when I listened to the audio books. Jordan's Wheel Of Time is also a modern classic, but tends to be more sedate in pace. Erikson's Malazan series is great, but more of an acquired taste. All of these have multiple points of view, but they're also wide and complex stories that need multiple characters to span.

If you want simpler fare, pick anything by David Gemmel; those are the OG trash taste hero novels.

If you ask for fantasy comedy with valuable lessons, you get Terry Pratchet. There are guides for where to start, but you could throw a rock at his shelf and find a good time.

Neil Gaiman is brilliant for more urban fantasy, American Gods is on my top list. On that note I would be remiss not to mention Jim Butchers Dresden Files, an eminent representative of the genre.

01 likes this.
  3. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    I once saw some interesting novels from Wattpad one of them is Children of The Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. That novel then moved to Amazon.
    American Gods is really good you should also try that too.

4. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    The Deathgate Cycle