News OFFICIAL Centinni Statement

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tinni_15, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I know little about Indian Taxes , It doesn't matter whether you are individual or company or partnership- deductions of business expenditure are allowed. So only your profit(your cut reduced by expenditures like server fees )should be directly taxed. As for indirect taxes,it is applicable only if your revenue exceed threshold of $ 26000USD p.a. (based on current exchange rates), which I believe have not exceeded. Also you are liable to pay Direct taxes on your income, Not translators.

2. Tinni_15

Tinni_15 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the money translators earn comes to us first, so it would get cut from that income. And then we distribute it. But as I said before too, I am not a knowledgeable person about tax things and all. I would like to read more before saying anything further. Thank u for your thoughts~

Xaos likes this.
  3. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you are doing it wrong. You only need to recognize only your cut as revenue. If you recognize whole amount as your revenue then you will have to pay more taxes. I suggest you take advise from a CA . You should treat yourselves as intermediary and directly distribute amount to your team first and only recognize your cut as revenue and only transfer your cut in your bank.

Chronos5884, c.decora and maiphan like this.
  4. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moral of the story: sometimes, making an "official" statement isn't always a good idea.

On another note, I really think developing a transparent revenue split without having the money go through site admin would've solve a lot of bad blood in this community.

Chronos5884, shan1102 and maiphan like this.
  5. fireshadow

fireshadow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For businesses we get taxed on the net profit in India otherwise employees would get double tax deduction on their salaries .

6. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but we aren't a business.

7. fireshadow

fireshadow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should register as a business and hire someone to help you with this because you are making foreign payments and stuff in worst case you may have a money laundering case on yourself .Believe me you can get in some bad legal trouble since you have to explain your income to government.

8. judairu

judairu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was a continuous downward spiral that was bound to blow up the moment you released personal info of said translator and failure to communicate clearly.

You being an owner and part of management, you should never attempt to publicly announce nor even attempt to doxx your hired staff members or ex-staff in a negative portrayal. Basic decency exists. Doing such a thing in a fit of anger is no excuse. You’re communicating on the internet, not in real person. You clearly have the time to double-think about what you should and should not say.

As a leader, you need to do better, and what you do will ultimately affect the image of Centinni whether you like it or not. Innocent translators, editors, or any other staff members who weren’t aware of what was going on would, of course, end up facing the brunt of things. You can look at many real life examples of businesses, too.

Clearly the organization and any semblance of level structure doesn’t exist from any of the evidence gathered. You shouldn’t have aired out any private discourse to begin with if it’s not positive. That’s basic laws of respect towards your staff members. If they decide to leave, then part with them in a good note and wish them the best of luck, not in the manner to which you’ve done.

Calling said translator a traitor was wrong on so many levels.

Now, I took a look at India’s tax laws. Since you’re not registered as a limited liability or LLC. company (though you should have done that from the get go) then you would have fallen under the bracket of self employed. So I’m no accountant but from the looks of it, you’re taxed on net profit, not gross profit. Any revenue you pay out to your staff member is tax deductible and the government sees it as business expenses, which you’re able to deduct as a self-employed even if you’re not a registered company. You need to properly file and document that.

You really need a CPA to audit your finances and help you. You’ll get in big trouble from the government if you fail to properly organize your finances and taxes come tax season.

You can’t claim ignorance on this kind of things. Deducting the percentage of said translator because of “taxes” was wrong and you should really have done your diligent research. Any government entity will only tax your net profit, not your gross profit. If you had gone for a consultation from an accountant, they would tell you the same thing. And because it seems like you don’t know much of this things, even more reason to get an accountant to help and guide you when it comes to your business finances, profits, and expenses. Otherwise, you’ll just get in trouble from the government if you fail to comply with their regulation.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  9. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright so I did ask a consultant regarding taxes and they said as we are not a firm yet. We need to pay 18% reverse GST (Goods and services tax) on whatever we pay as royalties/expenses. This amount will be added as Tax Input Credit and can be used in case any liabilities arise, and with our website we have no liabilities. Also this is for domestic people who might pay the GST while giving donos, as for for foreign donos, he said he will need to look into that. Anyways he said, we would need to hire a consultancy to do this work which would again be very expensive for us as we might in some cases need a certified CA to do this. In the end he said to pay taxes as individual until we can hire people.

This is the gist of what I got, anyways, if anyone has any expertise in Indian laws related to GST or know anyone who can help please msg me. Thanks a lot! This is different for a firm but as we aren't so and again, I don't even have the idea to how to become one, and neither do I think we are big enough to become one. If anyone have more knowledge on this matter please help us, we would like to fix this as well.

Deleted member 265239 likes this.
  10. enkiros

enkiros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Vnov1996

Vnov1996 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol... so f#@king funny... they are withholding 20% for taxes... is everyone stupid... In India, this is considered as self-employed and income tax is after 5,00,000 Rupees (that too after deductions on costs) which is about $6750... what the f@#k are you doing... A verbal agreement is also an accepted contract in India by contract law, and this is out there in text.. if she were so inclined, she could sue you... I wonder if a mail to QI would do you some good, considering that most of the novels that you translate have licenses owned by them, and here you are blatantly talking about monetizing their shit.

Also, every chapter of yours has written: this chapter is owned by centinni.. are you stupid or what? As per international norms regarding content rights, the translators own the work unless specifically stated in a contract. Also, you tell all your TL's that the novels are given to them, such bullshit. In this time of pandemic, many new translators and editors have joined the community and you guys are using their naivety and lack of knowledge to trap them saying that the novels are yours and that you can take 30% of patreon, kofi, etc. and donations (which no other website takes from and have rights over). This is simply looting. You had a new rule saying that novels cannot be shifted from your websites, haha... that is so funny. All you are doing is picking up novels that have been dropped by other translators for various reasons.

I hope readers do not blindly support this group (if you want to support the translators then ask for their paypal and transfer money to them directly so that leeches do not benefit from it) and that new translators and editors don't get scammed by them.

12. justastudent

justastudent New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A CA student here, first of all what you wrote about self-employed thing, it's true but doesnt matter if you are self employed, you still need to show the expenses to get some returns, and in this case they will just get input tax credit considering at no source is the tax being cut (read about GST please) and considering their website gets a lot of views, passing 5 lakh income should be easy lol. And taxes are much more complicated than you think of them to be kiddo, don't just search on google, it can't give you the understanding of those hundreds of pages that C.A./s here need to kill themselves with.

And god damn this is a mob lynching indeed lol, I just feel like it was their fault in not making things clear, and also their inability to communicate well, they should indeed improve this lol. Although about looting... well, we all are independent people on the internet, people have their own rules, get on with it. But they should indeed improve how they should handle things and also I know most of the people replying to these threads are just for the tea, drink it, move on people. They made a mistake, they will improve it ig, considering the amount of novels they tl, only 1 or 2 tls came out to speak and also the fact after all this they are still tl'ing stuff the same, I think other tls must be happy or okay with how things are going. Also, if you don't know taxes please dont speak up, Indian taxes are a fooking pain in the a** lol.

P.S. KILL THIS ALREADY, although some nice tea is here, would want to read a book out of this lol.

Edit to centinni people if they are reading: Please improve how you guys do stuff, making things clear from the start is much better, if not, people are always ready for blood loool

13. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand how you think this is a mob lynching, but even forgetting about the money, I'm still shocked that there was no apology for doxxing a translator, accusing the translator of being a traitor, or lying about the situation to make it seem like they were trying to harass their newly recruited translator to drop the novel. Of course, they should be apologizing to Kitket and presumably they made a private apology, but it still looks super bad that all of this is still up without anything about that lmao.

14. justastudent

justastudent New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right, that they should. But still seeing the ss'es of both parties kitket also tried hiding the part where she tells the new tl that she will be moving this novel and it might get ugly.... can be counted as a threat, I feel like both parties aren't really saying the truth, for which reasons idk, but defo people shouldn't just lynch like that, it isn't hard to do some research on yer own, I would try it but im too lazy, I'm sorry loooooooooooool

linmeili likes this.
  15. Vnov1996

Vnov1996 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so what you are saying is that the translators have to pay for the website... considering you are still a CA student, that is to be expected... (cheap shot there, I am sorry)... the normal stuff here wouldn't be this... the translators get paid whatever they are owed and it is not up to Centinni to cut the taxes... and even if they did do that... how much is the tds? The translators are not employed... if it were an employer-employee relationship, it would be in a whole different ballpark... it is also not a contract based thing... Centinni is just providing a platform for the translators to put up their work. And as a website, all they are entitled to is the ad-revenue they get after giving a part of it to the translator. As a translator, how much they earn and how they spend and whether or not they pay taxes should not be up to Centinni.

16. justastudent

justastudent New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I can see they do not let anyone post their works by themselves, and it is upto them to decide what fees should be given and not given, not you, not me, not anyone else. I don't know how this is their fault though?? And what's this about the cheap shot, I am studying CA and I just gave my 2 cents on it, seriously, are you a kid? Or do you have something against me or C.A.'s in general? We are there to handle taxes only, nothing else, and in my opinion they shouldn't have publicized their rev system at all, it's a du*b move, because people like you will always be there. Just gives me a better example why we are taught about NDA laws as well lol. Stop spreading hate. This is turning into those edgy redd*t communities. Going personal about everything (An example is also where the owner's dad is doing taxes but then everyone makes memes about it.) It's not cool, it's a sh*t move imo. Taxes are hard, what's wrong in someone else letting do their taxes (if it was, I will be unemployed when I graduate) Going personal doesnt' really improve anything.

17. Vnov1996

Vnov1996 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh, you completely missed the point. Nevermind, then, if you could not understand it...

yeah, you are right. Exactly, everything should be kept secret. That way, when new and hopeful people enter the community, they will get cheated left and right and learn from it, right? You are surely thinking of them. /s The issue here is that Centinni is taking 30% from the translators' patreons and ko-fi's. The translators are new so they might not know the community norms. According to you, you will take the first offer of Rs. 5000 after you become a CA because you cannot ask other people as they have signed an NDA to not disclose their pay. And you will also give 30% of that plus 30% of the money your family could be giving you because they will handle your taxes for you (informally, of course, because I doubt the company can provide a tax certificate). It is not wrong to let others handle your taxes for you, taxes are so hard that you need to pay 30% of your income for someone to fill your excel sheet. The good side of it is, if the company pays the tax properly, then you would be able to recover it every year on your IT return, but if they are douchebags, then they will pay their taxes from your money. I like how you are thinking. Please carry on, make leeches into kings.

Ah, I also forgot to mention that the work your company is giving you is something that they don't own nor have rights over but are still using their name on your work and they get the work from a bulletin board that you also have access to (without effort), but because you are new, you don't know. So, basically, they give you work that you have access to, they handle your money they have no rights on, and all they actually give you is a desk to work at. All the work is yours, even legally.

Your future is bright. Potential employers will be fighting to get you to work for them.

18. justastudent

justastudent New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On reverse GST, you get tax input credit, that can be later used on liabilities, they as a website have 0 or nil, so its useless for them in the short run. Maybe if they get bigger they can do a lot of stuff, that's the beauty of the Indian tax system, but for now when they aren't that big, I don't see any other good option.

19. WhiteMoonlight

WhiteMoonlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Hey Shichi (No need to deny, it’s very obvious.)

Before this thread also devolves into yet another mess where you throw around unrelated jargon about taxes (with no evidence to support your words) while others point out holes in your argument and you once again make them go in circles until they just give up, I would like to say one final thing.

The maximum of replies on all four of these threads were people trying to make amends, helping you out with the tax situation and giving you advice on fixing your ways. The joke comments were mainly in response to when you refused said advice and began to spout more nonsense. There is a limit to things that can be excused in the name of you both being kids (which you two are not). If you see people asking you to take responsibility and do better and think of it as ‘oh I’m being lynched’, then that’s on you.

Despite the representatives of Centinni going back and forth with agreements, I took everything in stride. New staff suddenly thrown at me? Sure, we can work this out. The payment agreement was changed thrice? Alright. Forcing me to keep doing extra releases? I’ll try, sure.

Slandering my name, calling me a traitor, and defaming me on various servers and then trying to settle it with a private one-line apology while continuing to spread such lies? I’m sorry, but this is where I draw the line.

I’ve explained everything in detail here. What more do you want me to do? Host a Q&A?

Quite frankly, it’s tiring having to explain each and every word I say. My conscience is clear. But if I stayed quiet, my silence would be taken as admitting to every allegation placed against my name.

I’m getting more and more ashamed for holding on and working at Centinni for 3 months the longer this goes on. I don’t want the nice memories of that time getting buried under all of this ugliness.

This situation could have been easily avoided if your first line of action was not completely banning me from both Centinni and Slave Hub servers and going on a steadily escalating rampage against me the longer I stayed quiet. You could have told everyone ‘Kitket is leaving for RL issues’ and that would have been the end of it. But it kept getting worse by the day. I knew more or less what was going to happen considering the 3 months worth of experience I had with Centinni so I didn’t have too many expectations. But it was still surprising to see you stoop this low.

I never expected to get a genuine apology nor do I want any form of compensation. Every last penny of the $54.34 I earned from Centinni has been given away. And I’ve also thrown away my identity as kitket.

The ones who stayed are the ones that are unable to leave. If you do not want to lose any more translators, fix your ways and take responsibility for your actions. Not for my sake but for your own. Even I know that this situation is taking a toll on the others.

In my experience, people don’t change easily and I don’t want to waste any more time and wait till you do. That’s not my job. But you can consider this as my last bit of courtesy as someone who started out with you since the beginning.

If I am old enough to judge the situation and act accordingly, then the two of you are also old enough to understand what I’m saying.

So please, Shichi, and also Tinni. Let’s just stop, shall we?

-kitket

20. justastudent

justastudent New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey! Just made a account yesterday to tell the vnov guy that isnt how taxes work, cause I didn't like how he didn't knew about stuff and was just throwing profanities here and there, and what gives you the idea I might be that shichi or tinni you say? So if someone was just cool headed and didnt really want to do anything except read novels and just looked at this objectively that means the person is someone who did something bad against you? Geez grow up kid, you're not some all good Samaritan either I can say, who did nothing and was just discriminated against, damn you guys are too edgy huh, no need to cry over and behave like a Buddha or something, anyways, I still think what they did was wrong and they should indeed change their sh*t, but thinking of me as them? seriously?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.