Discussion I liked Isekai before it got mainstream

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Saorihirai, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is mainly about the Isekai genre in manga, not really novels. I feel like in recent years, there has been a lot of Isekai manga based off of novels and it's getting more and more mainstream. Beta MCs, harem, adventurers, guilds you know that type of thing.Goblin Slayer, Tensei Slime, and that shield hero manga, ughh. I think the whole idea of being thrown in another world in itself is great but...I feel like it's ruined now. I remember reading Anatolia story, Kanata Kara, Twelve kingdoms (novel), Inuyasha, Fushigi Yuugi, Jin, drifters (this one is more recent than the others) and just loving how it was handled. I don't even know if Isekai was a thing back then. Admittedly most of those are romance genres but even the romance Isekai manga that get adapted from novels these days just suck. Especially the webtoons. I remember reading Threads Of Time(completed and you should definitely check it out) and all these Isekai type Korean Manhwas that were soooo much better than what's being put out these days. Where's the good old days? Am I just stuck in the past? Isekai has so much potential in general but I feel like it's wasted when seeing whats put out these days. But...if this is just me missing out on some actual good, original and not typical Isekai manga then feel free to recommend me some :blobwink:

Deleted member 110464 likes this.
  2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Goblin Slayer isnt Isekai

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alice in Wonderland, John Carter of Mars, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court :p

Saorihirai likes this.
  4. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oops you're right. I meant the type of Isekai where there are adventurers, guilds, monsters, typical medieval world and of the sort. I was referring to the type of world setting I guess

5. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry it's normal you feel bad about isekai cause nowaday 99.99% isekai story is about copypasta. If you have 2 different isekai novels, just replace MC's name from 1st novel into 2nd novel and voila the 2nd novel roughly become spin off story from the 1st novel. There must be a lot of change perspective from MC into side characters and all of them always say the same line "Incredible! MC is super OP!" again and again and again

6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    then you're talking about a branch of fantasy which isnt always associated with isekai though commonly is because see harry's comment.

Deleted member 110464 likes this.