Digimon Reboot: Episode Discussion [Spoilers, duh]

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Gandire Alea, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Do you think one of Kouji Wada’s songs will be played at some point in time??

1. Butterfly

42.9%
  2. Brave Heart

52.4%
  3. There won’t be any of his songs playing...

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, there will be plenty of episodes that there is no need to worry abou evolving! \(^^)/

And my guess is that Devimon will become Myotismon and they'll face him with 6 perfects~
    Oh yeah, I didn't even consider that Gomamon and Palmon might be too tired from the last episode! Good catch!

And aye! The OST of this episode was great! I really am enjoying this show's soundtrack overall~

2. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If there is a dark digivolution here I wish for angemon to evolve to lucemon (rookie) or angewomon to mastemon. With taichi going straight to metalgreymon, I doubt it though.

3. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Devimon regressing into takeru's patamon maybe is an interesting twist. Though I really doubt that will happen.

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    This episode was... Meh. (Spoilers ahead, proceed at your own risk)

Like, from the title and the preview we already knew we were getting Metal Greymon, so like... It didn't have much of an impact.

And like... The fight against Metal Tyranommon felt so... Cheap. He was clearly shown as strong enough to wipe out everyone, and Greymon was clearly unable to dish out any meaningful damage, but uhn... Greymon just kept on enduring the hits over and over again, and it just felt really cheap, he really shouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

I mean, geez, Metal Tyranommon defeated Orgemon like he was nothing, and Greymon was at about the same level as Orgemon to begin with. So... It didn't feel like the fight made any sense.
    ... And when the fight takes the majority of the episode's screentime, and it isn't very good... Welp.

It didn't help that the fight ended up pretty near the rest of the chosen children, making the diversion tactic super pointless, they could have ganged up on him since they were reunited already anyways...

If anything, the one thing I liked was that it really showed Taichi's courage to keep on fighting what seemed to be a hopeless battle... Still, I feel like I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if he started despairing in face of the overwhelming odds and got Skullgreymon instead, at least that one would have led to an interesting finale.

Next episode looks more promising based on the previews though, seems like there will be some real team work this time around, to compensate for the last 2 episodes I guess.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I wonder what is in the animator's mind. Or the director I guess when they make metaltyrannomon run like that. I honestly don't have problem with the diversion. It works and served its purpose. It is just that they encountered a field obstacle in the shape of miasma marsh(?). Well... they can gang up when greymon is pushed back by metaltyrannomon's missile, I think. Before that, they are busy brainstorming.

Though, I wonder about the sanity of tai who engaged metaltyrannomon instead of leading it away. Being diversion means you have to divert metaltyrannomon's attention (as well as those soundbirdmon), but don't you think escaping using the forest as cover is not viable?

Right, about metaltyrannomon. The first impression of it is that it is a strong and lumbering giant. It is fast, but as a result of its giant body (which leads to its giant stride). Its attack alternate between the missiles and the lasers, and it only used tail whip as a melee option. So when it pursued greymon that was flown away by the missile, it felt strange. I also have problem with the animation of metaltyrannomon (and ogremon). I wonder if wandering with your mouth open is a sign of being evil at this point.

I'll continue this later. low battery.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, that was how I felt. I didn't mind the diversion plan, but once Taichi and Greymon got pushed by the missle, they should have hopped in to help.
    I know, right!? He should learn with Mimi and Jou on how to be a proper diversion! xD

On that note, Mimi is such a wonderful character... She and Jou are putting a real smile on my face, I just love their interactions so much~ <3

Like the moment she threw his book in the miasma, it was glorious~

.. likes this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What you two said is true but you need to take into consideration other factors too:
    First thing, the agumon species and their evolutions (greymon evolution line) are amongst the strongest in the digimon world because the greymon species are descendants of a powerful ancient digimon (AncientGreymon) who is part of the ten legendary warriors that saved the digital world in ancient times, so think of the greymon species as hero material/hero descendants.
    Second thing, digimons got attributes which affect their personalities and how they perform in battle (while doesn't necessarily mean win or lose but they do affect the performance of the digimon in battle), most digimons belong to either or more of these attributes, which are "Data, Vaccine, Virus, Free, and Variable", where Virus is generally strongest against Data, Data is strongest against Vaccine and Vaccine is strongest against Virus (think of Rock, Paper, Scissors but a little bit more complicated)....
    Greymon and MetalGreymon are vaccines while Metal Tyranomon is Virus (Btw Orgemon is Virus too)
    Third, digimons with partners are generally smarter and stronger than those without ones
    Fourth, it was clearly mentioned that Tai and Agumon wanted to fight against Metal Tyranomon again because it killed Orgemon (with which Agumon had a battle of pride, at this point it wasn't a matter of being enemies but more like a competion, not to mention Orgemon also showed them the way so at this point, Orgemon was somesort of friend/rival that might have joined them as fellow warrior or helper of somesort if he lived and left Devimon's side)
    Fifth, for a plan made by children, that strategy wasn't bad, simple and straightforward :hmm:

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the anime ever cared about the Rock Paper Scissors aspect.

And besides, Greymon was clearly shown as being somewhat equal to Orgemon anyways, so he should be stomped by Metal Tyranomon regardless, as his advantage over Orgemon would be the same as his advantage over Metal Tyranomon.

9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    They do, you see, whether in anime/manga or games, the digimon makers always try to keep things connected and related even if it is not the same universe, or when they don't make everything explained (why are they looking for the holy digimon when their opponent is Devimon? didn't you ask yourself that? they are trying to keep things connected), besides, in the previous episode and the one before it, Orgemon and Greymon weren't somewhat equal (Greymon clealry had the upperhand) Orgemon lost one of his horns, then in the fight with Greymon, Orgemon was doing his best against Greymon, Orgemon was pushing himself to keep up with Greymon (even their attacks weren't equal and you can clearly see that when Haouken lost against MegaFlame)

10. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Kalto

1. Without the ancientgreymon line, it is already established that they are the incarnation of the legendary warriors. If we want to talk lore, there is the lucemon power to seraphimon/ophanimon/cherubimon. There is the fact that patamon/tailmon/veemon/hawkmon/armadimon are the one who can digivolve when others can hardly digivolve during early era of digital world (02) https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Digivolution. Thus, they are the actual ancient digimon.

2. There's also hidden effectiveness/resistance of different attack type in digimon world dawn/dusk. There are different strength/weakness system in various digimon media. We don't know what kind of system they use.

3. Smarter? not really. To attribute them being smart because they are partnered, when they have the experience of legendary warriors who won in the previous conflict? I don't really want to do that. Stronger? Yes. Are they stronger that they can ignore the strength of digimon in higher digivolution stage? doubt it for now. (Unless it is patamon. Well... just kidding. I don't know if this holds true in this reboot).

4. True. no disagreement on this.

5. Mm... it is just Taichi's action felt reckless instead of courageous in this episode. It is courage, but to the point of being reckless.

@Gandire Alea, what do you think of this episode?

11. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven’t watched it yet >.>

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

13. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Episode 10 review
    Okay, I've gotten to watching this episode, and it was good, but it felt lacking.

My biggest take away from the episode, which I really should have noticed last episode had I watched the spoiler, was the fact they were fighting Metal Tyrannomon. Tyrannomon is a dinosaur digimon much like Greymon. In my head cannon, I picture them having a sort of rivalry. There was even an earlier episode where Greymon help Birdramon take down a Dark Tyrannomon. What I'm trying to say is that Greymon evolves into Metal Greymon. The whole thing was a clever setup for a fight between cyborg dinosaurs.
    As to the fight between Greymon and Metal Tyrannomon, it was strange. The information Koshiro provided was extremely useful, but the way it was used was meh. Wait for him to switch hands, then attack. It's a good strategy, but the whole "punch my fist into the rocket launcher" idea made me say, "What are they trying to accomplish by doing that?" Truthfully, I thought it would have exploded within the barrel/arm instead of sending them flying. I suppose Greymon's claws weren't enough of an impact to make the missile explode.
    That said, Metal Tyrannomon's use of his tail was great on the animator's side. They remembered it was there and had him defend itself using tail whip. I would like to point out that greymon used the same attack back when he first appeared. I also liked how they showed Metal Tyrannomon rushing after Greymon after lunching him away with said missile. Up until that point, he had been shown as being slow, so it was a nice change up.
    Other than that, the fight was lacking.It was mostly Taichi and Greymon trying again, again, and again without giving up and slowly gaining strength during the entire fight until he digivolved. This was shown when he started to shrug off the lightning attack and again when he lifted Metal Tyrannomon and body slammed him against the ground.
    I do not consider this be courage. This, to me, is determination. Courage, in my belief, is doing something despite being afraid. This digivolvution did not feel earned to me, but was instead a plot point they just wanted to get out of the way. Maybe had the battle become more difficult for him and he as pushed into a hard situation, it would have been different. A good spot would have been after being blown away by the missile. Their fight clearly took them all the way to where the other chosen were. They could have jumped in to help once they realized what was going on, been overwhelmed, and forced Taichi and Greymon to act despite being battered from their previous failed attempts at fighting.
    After the evolution, it just became the usual curb stomp. Metal Trannomon was thrown into the miasma, he got a power up and fired his super laser, Metal Greymon jumped at the last minute to let Metal Tyrannomon think he was begin his, and then Metal Greymon fired his missiles to end the battle.
    Afterwards, Metal Greymon reverted back to Agumon. Agumon was shown to be exhausted, but I think this would have been better shown with him reverting back into a Koromon.

Other than that, there was interactions that were nicely done. Taichi and Yamato arguing over what to do is nothing strange, but it adds a good deal of tension and shows the stress they are all under. The best part about that was Mimi over hearing Jyou and saying, "Please do something." Sora then jumped in and said to wait. This really shows their roles into the group. Mimi being afraid/ not wanting there to be conflict, Jyou being responsible, and Sora understanding it needs to play out. The argument itself shows a major difference between Taichi and Yamato. Taichi is trusting, perhaps too trusting. Whether this is due to his good instinct or just being trusting remains to be developed further, but I think it's a sign of his good instincts. Yamato not trusting Ogremon is him being smart, but I think this here is being played as him not being trusting of others more than him making a good point. The episode shows this by revealing that Ogremon's information was accurate and truthful. The fact that Yamato backed down after being able to verify the accuracy also shows he was only thinking about their well being.
    Another part I liked was when they came to the bog. When it was suggested to throw something in, Mimi automatically turned to Jyou's bag. I was shocked that Jyou wasn't saying anything, but then it was revealed that he hadn't noticed. This happens again when Mimi tries borrowing Jyou's notebook at the end.

Another point of interest was the miasma that kept coming from Metal Tyrannomon's mouth. They showed that about 2-3 times. The fact that they did so was to show it was important, and I only realized it because of that, but I don't believe that was necessary. Them showing the miasma bog was more than enough to show that, especially since the chosen all flashed back to the miasma coming from his mouth as well.

Over all, I feel this episode could have been more exciting. I give it a B

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    AliceShiki likes this.
  14. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    @AliceShiki
    @Kalto

I do not believe previous establish lore can be used in this world. While the Greymon line may have inherited Ancient Greymon's strength, Ancient Greymon hasn't been revealed to exist in this world. Also, while type advantages might exist, those play more of a role in the games than in the show. When it comes to the shows, the virus, vaccine, and data attributes have more of a personality/aggression effect than a damage output effect. This was said as a joke, but the only advantage might just come from Holy against dark/evil. Patamon has also always been shown to be ridiculously strong as was shown against Devimon, Fantomon, Piedmon, and Black Wargreymon, but whether that advantage crosses over to types beside virus, and to this series, remains to be seen.

As for the battle between Orgremon and Greymon, if I were to put the output into numbers from a scale of 100, it would be 55 to 45 with Greymon being 55. They were close, but Greymon was about 10 points ahead.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with basically everything! The nice parts you highlighted were good, but I was so underwhelmed by the battle that I kinda forgot about most of them... Which is a bit sad.

As for the battle plan by Koushirou, I think the idea was to attack before the missle went live, so that it would cause an explosion on the Metal Tyrannomon's hand... Only, Greymon was too slow, so by the time he reached it, the missle was already released.

16. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    If he wanted to stop the missiles, he should have fired his Nova Blast at the hand. That would have been much stronger than his fist. Also, forcing an explosion from point black range, while Taichi is on his head, seems like a terrible idea.

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the animators constantly forget that the humans should not be as tough as their Digimon Partners... >.>

That said, he could indeed just throw a fireball at the missile instead of trying to hit it with his claw... >.>

18. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Being exploded into that tree should have killed Taichi. Perhaps being in the digital world has digitized them and made them stronger??

19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll go with that theory! It's the only reasonable explanation for sure! xD

20. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    remembering that episode. There is one other thing that I feel frustated of. I know it is animation constraints, but why do we get so many shot from the back of characters? So many still images...