Discussion Do you empathize with villains?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Aug 10, 2020.

?

Do you empathize villainous roles?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Maybe, but leaning to a yes.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Maybe, but leaning to a no.

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fiction or real life figures. Do you feel empathy with them?

You may or may not state your reasons as to why. You may or may not state which villain you empathize with.

1-dimensional villains don't count, because villainy exists for a reason. All evils stem from a reason lacking thereof good qualities of humanity.

imK likes this.
  2. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    *is a villain* (>ω>) *votes “yes”*

imK likes this.
  3. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m such a softy! Most villains have such terrible backstories! I just want to give them all big squishy hugs! Why can’t we all just get along!

4. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how much or bad stuff thy did and i they earned or tried redemption example no empathy for re creators altair.

5. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    I like well written villians far more than any White Knight mc precisely because the feel human and reliable, plus the concept of good and evil is nothing more than made up justification for a rule of thought,it is not an absolute law such as the various laws of physics,it is made up by certain mentality to firm the backbone of society. Reality just exists.

imK and Deleted member 89812 like this.
  6. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    when MC is portrayed as the good one while what he actually do is worse than a villain

Yeah, I will emphatize with the villain

MrSplashy, _BlissCity_ and imK like this.
  7. TokioftheBel

TokioftheBel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's a maybe. It all depends on how much I like the villain and how much I like the protagonist

imK likes this.
  8. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto is one of many fictions that has the most relatable villains that I had read. I mean look at Itachi, the choices that he had to make is no joke, eventually he failed and let his brother lives, but that's the proof of him still have a human heart.

Edit: let's not forget Pain's speech > Naruto's speech

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    imK and TokioftheBel like this.
  9. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before I saw your post, I was actually thinking about Nagato. While Nagato was evil to a degree, as were Obito and Itachi, the reasons I am more forgiving of Nagato are these main reasons: I am a Nagato fan boy. Also, he was able of resurrecting 100s of the people whose deaths he was directly or indirectly responsible for when he used Rinne Tensei.

10. kuroAnsatsu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, everything what Nagato had said makes a lot of sense although his plan and actions are immoral, he does all of his deeds based on his own justice and he's self conscious what he's doing is monstrous. He decided to still believe in Naruto so he gave him a chance by resurrecting those people that he killed before, and let Naruto do his way of gaining peace

_BlissCity_ likes this.
  11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Between Obito and Nagato's reasons for going to the Dark Side, let's be honest here: Obito became evil to a degree because he was essentially friend-zoned. As such, I am glad that Obito died again.

12. kuroAnsatsu

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, he wants to have a nice dream when he can be together with her and never wake up, his reason were kind of sad in a way. At least he's not stubborn until the end although everything he had done is a pain in the ass

13. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! Most of the time, these villains characters are being depicted as someone who set their eyes on something and passionately pursue it until the end of the world, rules and society be damned. I think that there's something fascinating in that, for giving into your desire and skewed vision when all logics and existing social structure order you to do otherwise. I'm not sure if this counts as "emphatizing", as i don't think that i will feel sad or anything like that. More like seeing and appreciating a pretty flower by the roadside? But well, they're simply compelling in a skewed way. :aww:

_BlissCity_, TokioftheBel and imK like this.
  14. JosephGraham

JosephGraham New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    most of times villains become those who didn't receieve enough attention and loove back then and now they are too cold

_BlissCity_ likes this.
  15. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had trouble taking the side of protagonists' whole heartedly ever since I started reading those white lotus novels. Just think about it, what if all those naive protagonists know what's going on but the readers don't know. And they scheme all of it and get everyone's love including ours. And they twist how everyone looks at the villains.

_BlissCity_, TokioftheBel and imK like this.
  16. Sannysidi

Sannysidi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i choose no or yes It's depend on the villain if i like the villain i will choose yes if not so no

17. AQZ

AQZ 《[re]tired frog》

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally speaking, most of them were raised in bad environments and influenced to do what they did, with those situations I'll empathize with them. Other times they use their history to justify their actions and don't realize their faults, usually I just think those villains are narrow-minded, so it makes sense that they would never beat the protag.

imK and _BlissCity_ like this.
  18. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Same with her/his answer. I ask myself this question too a bit too often. :blob_teary:
    Most of the time I lean towards finding the backstory and reason why the villain is doing what he is doing and yeah... I end up emphatizing with them. Then again a lot of stories nowadays are with characters who are evil for the sake of being evil(usually in chinese novels), in which case I can't relate to them at all.

(Also, good question.)

imK and _BlissCity_ like this.
  19. _BlissCity_

_BlissCity_ head above the clouds

Reading List:
    Link
    Samee...
    To be honest, I idolize all villains for pursuing what they like without being bounded by rules and such. To me, they are very brave and very strong. I envy them because I don't have that kind of courage.

Sometimes, I sympathize with them since most villains have terrible backgrounds why they became, well, "villains".

Sometimes, I hate them because why the hell would they cause trouble to others?! Having a hard life doesn't give you the right to give others that shit too. If you have that shit, just accept it and live. We all have different kinds of shit. Some people are just unlucky and drew the shorter end of the stick.

Almost forgot, not all villains have terrible backgrounds. Some are just bored and wants to have a little excitement with their lives. I really don't get this types of villains. Dude, if you're bored, why the hell would you drag others down with you?! If you want to die, go die alone!

In short, I have a love-hate feelings for them. =_=

imK likes this.
  20. Deleted member 267874

Deleted member 267874 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well,it depends.
    Like if it is a pyscotic idiot I don't give a damn,but if he has a backstory which is quite relatable even in the least I'll support that villain/villainess.

_BlissCity_ and imK like this.