Discussion Interesting words I read today

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ram5, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I came across someone who said 'I like Anti-Hero MC and Villain like, someone who is Alpha.'

So it made me thought, does Anti-Hero or Villain MC equal Alpha MC? Because if we look at the definition Anti-Hero or Villain, it clearly didn't connect with Alpha.

First, what is Hero?

a person, especially a man, who is admired by many people for doing something brave or good

a person who is admired for having done something very brave or having achieved something great (UK)

a person admired for bravery, great achievements, or good qualities (US)

A hero (heroine in its feminine form) is a real person or a main fictional character who, in the face of danger, combats adversity through feats of ingenuity, courage or strength

Next is Anti-Hero

the main character in a story, but one who does not have the qualities of a typical hero, and is either more like an ordinary person or morally bad

the central character in a play, book, or film who does not have traditionally heroic qualities, such as courage, and is admired instead for what society generally considers to be a weakness of their character (UK)

An antihero or antiheroine is a main character in a story who lacks conventional heroic qualities and attributes such as idealism, courage and morality. Although antiheroes may sometimes perform actions that are morally correct, it is not always for the right reasons, often acting primarily out of self-interest or in ways that defy conventional ethical codes

Villain

a person who is morally bad or responsible for causing trouble or harm

1. a bad person who harms other people or breaks the law
    2.a criminal
    3. something or someone considered harmful or dangerous(UK)

a bad person who harms other people or breaks the law, or a cruel or evil character in a book, play, or film (US)

A villain (also known as "bad guy," "black hat," villainess in its feminine form) is an evil real person or a fictional character, whether based on a historical narrative or one of literary fiction. Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines such a character as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot".[1] Its structural purpose is to serve as the opposition of the hero character and their motives or evil actions drive a plot along.[citation needed] In contrast to the hero, who is defined by their feats of ingenuity and bravery and their pursuit of justice and the greater good, a villain is often defined by their acts of cruelty, cunning and displays immoral behavior that can oppose or pervert justice.

Last is Alpha (I put the definition of Alpha Male here since Alpha just reference to Greek Alphabet)

1. the man or male animal in a particular group who has the most power

2. a man who tends to take control in social and professional situations

1. the most successful and powerful male in any group

2. a strong and successful man who likes to be in charge of others (UK)

1. The dominant male in a group of animals.

2. A dominant, assertive, protective, oftentimes successful, leadership-type man or male. [from 1990s]

2. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen my fair share of cunning, cowardly anti-hero and villain that is a far-cry from an "alpha"—and i love them for it. So no, let's not mix up the meaning of anti-hero, villain, and alpha kay? :cookie:

Ram5 and SquadCammander354 like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are wrong. Hero is a portmanteau of 'H' (ecchi) and 'ero'. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

orematcha, Fulminata, Chowbie and 5 others like this.
  4. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    "Made me thought,"

∧_∧
       / ·ิω ·ิ ヽ
     _ノ ヽ ノ \_
    / `/ ⌒Y ⌒ Y  ヽ
    (  (三ヽ人  /   |
    | ノ⌒\  ̄ ̄ ヽ  /
    ヽ___>、__ノ
       |( 王 ノ〈
       /ミ`ー―彡ヽ
      / ヽ_/  |

5. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    And the villain must be insect or alien who can censor anything ecchi and ero :blobthinkingsmirk:
    Somehow i can imagine it :blobsmirk:

6. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was that a reference to that hero manga? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Doukyuu HxEros

otaku31 likes this.
  7. kittycoroner

kittycoroner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think those are just base definitions of the word. Since they are vague concepts it's hard to give an accurate definition to some words.

In my head a hero is often a person who does something right and is backed by a general consensus or specific group believing they are in the right.
    An anti-hero often doesn't have anyone to lean on or considers themselves outside the group that they happen to belong to. A villain can be a hero from a different viewpoint but often they are just an opposing force to what we construct the hero's ideals to be.
    Alpha just means first.
    All these ideas get more muddled the deeper you go into any one subject. It's like asking for the exact definition of red or what salt tastes like. We have the frame of reference to know what that is but not a way to express it so that it is understood 100 percent of the time. The deeper we get and the more we look for things the more our understanding evolves and the different kind of languages we use. Heck if we add in the use of different languages sometimes there isn't even a connecting word we can use. For goodness sakes some languages don't even have the word purple.

asriu likes this.
  8. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ngl first thing I thought when I saw alpha, I thought omegaverse.

Villain alpha in mpreg definitely possible

Fulminata and orematcha like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    as concept hero, anti hero, villain can down to which side you looking from? well maybe mostly general opinion perhaps?
    the alpha male concept kinda similar, hmmm accumulate of idea what is leader type perhaps, the goal, the pinnacle of male from certain pov~

personally meh just pov~
    alpha is different concept of what pinnacle of male compared with hero and anti hero concept~

be it hero or anti hero can fall into alpha depend on execution of the story

10. cutiebinkie

cutiebinkie Nuju

Reading List:
    Link
    Sets up tent:aww::cookie::blobpeek:

11. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Soon as they mention Alpha you know they either read too much yaoi, or watch too much American football while pretending they could do that. Best to move on.

But no, as people above posted they are wrong. Hero and villain have more to do with fictional points of view and adversity, while an anti-hero has to do with expectations of the reader. None of the 3 are related to taking power or control.