Where did VM Publishing (Star of Depravity) Come From All of a Sudden?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Sami11, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.vmpublishing.xyz/tsod/the-star-of-depravity-chapter-1/
    https://www.vmpublishing.xyz/about-us/
    https://www.vmpublishing.xyz/

Says they currently have 7 novels under preparation to be released officially, as in they licensed them. Currently, they only have the Star of Depravity. They also plan on becoming the next WuxiaWorld but for Korean novels. Where the heck did these guys come from? Anybody know anything?

Last time a site came along that "claimed" to license some novels but only released one was Pacific Novels, which was the translator site of The Second Coming of Gluttony for a while. And that whole thing later turned out to be a sham. Ngl, I'm kinda suspicious about this website.

Rumby and otaku31 like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read their statement of intent; it was hitting all the right notes... :aww:

making it all the more suspicious! :blobspearpeek:

31eb2cf5596726a0cac1051912e9f629.jpg

3. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    also, who uses an xyz Domain name???

4. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    snatching a spot first. will add info later.

Sami11 and Blitz like this.
  5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Screenshot_20200812_223242.png
    Hmm..... :blobwoah:

Screenshot_20200812_223350.png
    Hmmmm...... :blobunsure:

Hmmmmmmmm....... :hmm:

6. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact they "contract" the "original author" instead of the "publishing company" can say all about their "Buying the licensing"
    additionaly, their statement is more like they asking author to write a novels, instead of translating....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Muspon and Sabruness like this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    eh?
    not care at the moment, if they true to their word sooner or later da company related news will pop up, wuxiaworld and jclub cafe did that no?

19656.png

vmstaffaccount likes this.
  8. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    kenar, theweebbecomesme and Sami11 like this.
  9. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is 3/4th most popular, but one of the cheapest. Figures you find so many spam emails originating from those domains.
    If you're going legit TL with licenses, xyz isnt as good for SEO is what I read. So idk if .xyz would better than the good old .com.

10. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I was suspicious of them since they own both English & Korean licenses but there’s not a link to the Korean raws when I was trying to read their stuff... rather fishyyy

Muspon likes this.
  11. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    It smells like they make it seem as translation to use novel updates for traffic.
    I wonder if you remember that one time someone pretended to translate a novel but were releasing an original instead? they were caught later because of raws they gave.

12. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, "the empiran overlord".......they asked about 40$ for "translating" additional chapter, but where just writing an original story....

Muspon likes this.
  13. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if they went to gravity tales or ww when they were taking in english originals their fate would've been much better cause novel was popular as far as I remember.

14. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    indeed, i was following the novels hoping they apologized and keep writing it...but they simply chose to disappear...

15. vmstaffaccount

vmstaffaccount Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We are a group of avid Korean novel readers that raised funding to start this venture. Again, as stated by our "About Us" page, we "contracted the original authors for serialization of all novel series listed on our website."

So, what does that mean?

For The Star of Depravity specifically, we approached a starting up Korean writer, reviewed his work, purchased the legal rights to the franchise, and then provided developmental help for a Western audience like a typical publisher. After getting ahead enough in the drafts, we began translating the novel into English. We planned to serialize the work in English first.

We did not think that we would run into issues with Novel Updates since groups such as METEOR STRIKE MEDIA are doing something similar without any problems. The only reason this sounds so convenient is that, as stated above, the company was founded by actual fans that have been keeping up with novels here for years.

We have already conveyed our situation with the admins. They have agreed with our circumstances and temporarily approved the series based on the basis that we follow their suggestions for making the raws readily accessible. A site like METEOR STRIKE MEDIA had months to prepare their backend, and but we agreed to do it in a much shorter time frame.

The main issue we are having with Novel Updates is not a matter of our legitimacy, but of finding a way to compromise with our contracted Korean authors and the developmental and sales copy editors to provide the raws prematurely contrary to our initial agreement. Since we have agreed to a commission-based contract for their work in the Korean drafts to cut our costs, it has been a headache for us to come up with something. As we all know, a massive number of secondary sites automatically scrape all the content attached to Novel Updates and repost it, which is a major issue.

As we have shared with the admins, our initial thought was to make use of Novel Updates' large userbase to market our series. We have already agreed to something and are working a way to make it work. However, valuable the traffic is from Novel Updates; we are not willing to jeopardize such a crucial project just to get ourselves quick exposure.

Thanks to this forum post and petty gossip, the admins were forced to pause our releases from updating on Novel Updates while secondary sites rip our content. So sadly, in the meantime, we will pause all uploads and serialization on our website. It was such a shame; we were all very excited to provide fresh Korean content to the community. Those who have actually read it should understand our pain. We promised five uploads a week, with plans to increase it further. The other novel that we were planning to release this week had an upload rate capacity of 10 chapters a week, a feat comparable to Qidian's translation teams, which is groundbreaking stuff for a KR novel.

As for the domain, we have our reasons for having it as xyz. The difference between xyz and a com domain is only 5 dollars USD... With the amount of time, money, and resources we have invested in this project, you would think that we could afford to spend the $5 on the upgrade if we really wanted to. Please hold off on these wild 163 IQ claims of our legitimacy until we have settled this with the admins.

Best regards,

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  16. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not true. It's impossible to keep track of every single group and series on Novel Updates. We can only take care of issues if it gets reported or if we find something suspicious about the group, we'll take some time to look into it ourselves. When you mentioned that Meteor Strike Media had no raws, we removed their releases ASAP until they were able to give us the raws which they were able to give to us right away.

I would've removed your releases ASAP until you can provide the raws for your releases if I was the one taking care of your case. It's what I just did to Meteor Strike Media when it was mentioned by you. It's what should've been done in this case too.

No, we would've removed your releases anyways. We were already aware at some point that you couldn't provide raws for us which violates our policy. We were just giving you some time to get the raws but they never showed up so we decided to delete your releases.

17. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    In the first place, a website with a bare bones design and an xyz domain name screams all kind of suspicious. Not only that, no official explanation was given. Neither in the NU site nor on your website. You have given no choice but to gossip. Also, this post wasn't what stopped you from releasing. Before this, I checked your novel and you had stopped posting days before this post, already breaking your promise to release everyday except for Mondays and Tuesdays I believe? Additionally, I can't help but feel like that, when starting an official business with official licenses, these kind of things should have been taken into account, making you seem even more suspicious imo.

Nevertheless, I wish you good look on your endeavors. This post hasn't gotten much attention, maybe I can ask a mod to delete it.

kenar and remy911 like this.
  18. gr8 b8 m8

gr8 b8 m8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Liyus, LaDyViL and Sami11 like this.
  19. sleepingninja

sleepingninja Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. SlimIcee

SlimIcee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, Meteor Strike Media admin here. Guess I now know why one of our novels got taken down for a short time recently ;-;

As Tony has already said, NU Policy is pretty cut and dry. As long as you can provide raws, you can upload your content here. When our novel Fallen Monarch was removed, it took us under 2 days to get it back up by simply linking Tony the raws. Don't really know what VM Publishing means by us doing something similar to them, as we've never purchased a license where the raws are not already publicly available.

Deleted member 234835 and kenar like this.