Recommendations Stories with loop

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by FIEND, Aug 19, 2020.

1. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Where mc goes back into a certain point in time after he is killed, something more elaborate than re zero , and as complex with lots of world building and intrigue like Mother of learning or Skeletal soldier who couldnt protect the dungeon

2. tallrice

tallrice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you read the ones on my list? Also very interested if anyone can recommend anything new! Time loops are great.

3. forgottenarrow

forgottenarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good request! I also love this mechanic. Let's see which ones I have read so far. Let's start with the most well-known.

Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu : This is an extremely popular anime, so you probably know about it. I haven't yet read the light novels yet, but on the off-chance you haven't seen it, the anime is great.

Also, since I've already recommended other media,

The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov: This isn't a web novel, but I think it fits really well. The idea is that in the 27th century, time travel was invented. This results in an organization that exists outside of time that works to regulate all of history. All is well until the MC (who works for this organization) falls in love with a woman who will soon be affected by some planned reality changes.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: This is more of a sci-fi comedy than a time travel story, but I personally liked the extremely casual and messy way that time travel is used. The humor is good too.

Ok, now time for the novelupdates stuff! Honestly I haven't read too many and I'd be really happy if someone else could recommend more.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria : Although it's been taken down, there are still some websites that have the full translation up. The story starts with a time loop. It's the only time loop story I've seen where the MC is not the one experiencing the time loop.

That was the only one I've read with an explicit time loop. As for other time-travel shenanigans,

Reverend Insanity: The MC has the ability to travel backwards in time, but at a cost (which I won't get into because spoilers). Unfortunately, he doesn't travel back in time too often, but every time he does it's absolutely magnificent. I highly recommend it for non-time travel reasons. The world building and strategizing between characters is top-notch. MC encounters many, many clever enemies. Full disclosure, the original Chinese web novel is on an indefinite hiatus (apparently the Chinese government censored it) so we'll probably never see how the story ends. We still have a few hundred chapters before the translations catch up.

Demon Noble Girl ~Story Of A Careless Demon~ : This is a weird one. Near the middle it introduces some interesting time magic mechanics and a creature that seems to be able to break the rules of time travel established within the story. The story even starts to introduce some interesting paradoxes. However,
    we never get a clear explanation of what's going on and the whole thing is quietly dropped after a while. I get the impression this author never had much of a plan for this story and just took it where it went.
    It has a lot of interesting ideas, but the author rarely takes the time to really dig into them. Usually interesting plot points or world building ideas are introduced and then quickly resolved or forgotten.

And that's it. Huh, I thought I had more.

Shallow79 likes this.
  4. Cyanhart

Cyanhart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the first fifteen lives of harry august, not as elaborate as MOL but I've enjoyed it nevertheless.

5. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    is it a webnovel?

6. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity ig it is a time loop.. interesting way to look at it, i finished it a few years ago, thanks anyways

Shallow79 likes this.
  7. tallrice

tallrice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not. You can find it on goodreads.

https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/10681/ Here's a link to the list, if that helps. I've posted (long ago), which are published, webnovels or on NU, as well as available movies in the genre in the comments section.

Please tell me if I missed any good ones though! (Added Skeleton soldier manga based on your comment, hadn't come across that one! Thanks!)

8. Shallow79

Shallow79 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    skeleton soldier isnt a novel, i dont think, tho if it is please please gimme a link
    its a mahua, a really famous one at that. and its really well done
    in any case menocht loop , is that on ur list?

10. eyeZach90

eyeZach90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your young enough to not have read\seen it Haruhi Suzumiya series had a bunch of loops, lol.

11. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Replay By ken grimwood
    it's a really good time loop novel

12. forgottenarrow

forgottenarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently read a new one. Kidnapped Dragons. For the most part it’s a slice of life, but near the end the story starts leaning heavily into time travel shenanigans (not a spoiler, you learn that the MC is a time traveler in the first chapter). Overall it’s very well done, and the author has some interesting takes on time travel that I haven’t seen before.