Korean Mandatory Military

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ruyue, Aug 21, 2020.

?

Does your country have a mandatory military service

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    79.8%
  1. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is probably not a good place to ask, but I've already asked on reddit, and I have extra time.
    I've been thinking about joining ROK, just to keep dual citizenship, but heard military was real shitty, so I'm not sure. Also, I can't speak korean, but I can understand quite a bit.

If you have gone through it, how was your experience?
    Can you give me advice on whether to go or not.

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not having full Korean language might be a bother when taking commands later on. Try brushing up on that, using any military books that should be out there

3. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    "I can't speak korean" "military was real shitty" You gonna have a bad day.

4. readerX

readerX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than you should go or not.
    I have two question after read OP post.
    1) Does south korean accept non-korean people into there nation military?
    2) Does south korean military really accept people who can't speak korean even if you can understand quit a bit?

Also can you really choose just not to go or not just to keep dual citicenship? You sure it won't break any law which they can use it to deal with you later if you really don't go since it call 'Mandatory'?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    MrSplashy, 01, KizunaAi and 9 others like this.
  5. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They used to have ROTC program but due to some sadistic assholes it became optional.My experience? officer training have hazing(punch into gut) . Some died hence why it is now optional.

I think you have to be full citizen to join depending on the country.

kenar and SquadCammander354 like this.
  6. readerX

readerX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can image OP going to become cold body after got hazing by others because he can't speak korean and only understand it a bit...

01, Leo William, Bloodysin28 and 4 others like this.
  7. Godgrid

Godgrid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest watching the "New Recruit" series by "Jangbbijju". It gives you a rough idea of what to expect in the military. Of course, the videos are mostly for comedic purposes, so they are also greatly exaggerated, so have fun watching them. Below is the first video in the series.

9. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    From your post I'm guessing you're either a Korean American or a Korean Canadian or similar and all I gotta say is, with korea pretty much allowing near unrestricted access to visit for dual citizens, unless you seriously stand to gain something it'll not be worth it.

Plus, if you do serve in the Korean military and then try to get a government/security restricted job in your home country it'll raise red flags

Sabruness, ExcitableFoci and 01 like this.
  10. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To serve in army you should really have a big reason. If you don't - do not do it.

11. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobrofl::blobrofl:

12. Doc Williams

Doc Williams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you considered the KATUSA program? KATUSA stands for Korean Augmentee to the US Army. This would be the most viable option for you given your circumstances. This or join the US Army and get Korea guaranteed in your enlistment contract.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Augmentation_To_the_United_States_Army

imK, AMissingLinguist and tekinwillie like this.
  13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    If you intend to stay in South Korea for the rest of your life, then I think you should definitely fulfill your obligations. In South Korea, people will look down on you if they know you didn't complete your military service without a good reason. Just imagine that you had to serve in the military for 21 months and this perfectly healthy person didn't. Otherwise, if you don't plan to live in South Korea, you should just give up your citizenship.

One of his parent is a South Korean citizen. If he wants to keep his citizenship, he would need to serve in the military.

imK and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  14. RRat

RRat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also half-korean here, but I'm a girl, so luckily I don't have to go through the military service. It's a shame that guys don't get the same treatment:blobtired:

Siostar, imK and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  15. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    If I remember correctly aren't most people in south east Asia like really racist against other people? Be careful of the hazing man.

16. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Asians in general are really racist against other Asians. They’re “normal” racist (or not racist at all) to non-Asians.

Reason being, due to a China-Korea-Japan war that occured previously in history.

17. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, racism doesn't exist outside of Asia. It's the asians who are racist. /s :facepalm:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/12/covid-19-fueling-anti-asian-racism-and-xenophobia-worldwide
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...cism-against-asians-in-new-zealand-is-covid19
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07...port-reveals-asian-australians-abuse/12485734
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/gl...-eu-racism-against-asians-rights-agency-says/

Am I imagining things or has anti-asian sentiments been more blatant over the past few months? :hmm: They're not even pretending to hide it any more. :blobwoah:

Lurking and ExcitableFoci like this.
  18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hah that mean those instructors suck, idiot or totally dumbass~
    for the comparison smack on your stomach is only happen on semi military school here on Indonesia and looked down by real military instructors, at least some who this cat know personally~
    really unless they wanna enter special regimen/corps people not die during military training.... oh wait there gossip some dead cuz enter da army via backdoor so actually not pass health and physical test~

this cat not serve da army but have "honor" experience land army training for a week by seniors under who receive real training by land army instructors during college hmm orientation? you know new student thing~ hmm it was physically and mentally exhausting~
    wake up 5 am physical exercise, limited bath time, eat your meal around 1~3 minutes with a glass of water, parade? no hmm military movement? line up training? basically discipline stuff with movement you see at hmm like on military parade during show, curfew?, sudden inspection, push up or run on a lap cuz make mistake, learn about group platoon and bigger division, there no me only us! one person mistake whole group punished! leader got twice or triple punishment while when did good thing whole group awarded~
    oh cuz of da sudden physically training most suffer constipation? basically not poop cuz most meal converted to energy~ well it only a week tho~

da cousin who are military member said during his military school hmm physical training plus education plus physically training plus marching plus physically training plus discipline training plus physically training did this cat said if you not physically fit and healthy prepare to expunge from da army cuz you send to hospital?

nah~ for country with mandatory military service hmm conscription? they have slightly different criteria~

good luck with da army tho~
    56023.png
    here at Indonesia common people respect the army and generally proud if their family member can enter the army~

Alfha Robby likes this.
  19. Alfha Robby

Alfha Robby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but Korea is East Asia thought NOT SOUTH EAST ASIA, also while Malaysia & Vietnam were kinda Racist the other country generally isn't that racist that much unless you're a Politician, Social Justice Warriors, or Paid Miscellanous worker

20. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Only plebs would even consider military

ExcitableFoci likes this.