Discussion Way to sensitive

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OldManGu, Aug 21, 2020.

1. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The NHL condemned what it called "insensitive and insulting" comments that analyst Mike Milbury made about women during an NBCSN broadcast on Thursday night, saying they did not reflect the league's "value and commitment to making our game more inclusive and welcoming to all."

Milbury and analyst Brian Boucher were discussing the benefits of the NHL's playoff bubble during the broadcast of the Islanders' series-clinching win over the Capitals.

"If you think about it, it's a terrific environment with regard to -- if you enjoy playing and enjoy being with your teammates for long periods of time, it's a perfect place," Boucher said.

"Not even any woman here to disrupt your concentration," Milbury responded.

In a statement, the NHL called the comment "insensitive and insulting" and said it communicated its concern to NBC, the league's U.S. TV rights partner.

In a statement released through NBC Sports, Milbury apologized for the comment on Friday.

"It was not my intention to disrespect anyone," Milbury said in the statement. "I was trying to be irreverent and took it a step too far. It was a regrettable mistake that I take seriously."

NBC Sports said through a spokesperson that it was disappointed with Milbury's "insensitive comment" and that he would not be working Friday night's Flyers-Canadiens game.

This isn't the first time the 68-year-old Milbury has been flagged for insensitive comments about women on broadcasts. In 2012, he said Penguins coach Dan Bylsma should have "taken off his skirt and gone over there" during an in-game scuffle. In 2011, Milbury referred to Canucks players Daniel and Henrik Sedin as "Thelma and Louise."

"He made a bad comment about us, calling us women," Daniel Sedin said at the time. "I don't know how he looks at women. I would be pretty mad if I was a woman."

Fulminata and imK like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Check your privilege , you old guy! :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:

Wujigege, nyamachi and imK like this.
  3. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Not even any woman here to disrupt your concentration," Milbury responded.

Replace 'woman' with 'dogs' and that'll be our world in 5 years.

"How dare he talk bad about dogs like that!"

"If I were a dog, I'd be offended."

This is just my opinion and I think people are getting too sensitive. If you are a public figure, you have to walk on thin ice all the time.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbf, I think I'd be annoyed at him if I heard him say that.

... At the same time, I wouldn't really act on it or anything, it would just be a mild annoyance that I would quickly forget.

Fulminata, naghi32, nyamachi and 2 others like this.
  5. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, old guy thinking with his penis is old.

I think it's more offensive to the players, assuming they also think with their penis and would be too distracted to play. It's basically an insult to how professional the players are instead of women.

No, insert "Shiny sparkly things", or Squirrel and you get a better feel for what he was saying. Yes, it's a reference to UP.

"Not even any Shiny sparkly things here to disrupt your concentration," Milbury responded.
    "Not even any Squirrels here to disrupt your concentration," Milbury responded.

Fulminata, Wujigege and imK like this.
  6. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    The first comment didn't really mean much to me.

Whether they acknowledge it or not, a pattern of insulting men by comparing them to being 'like women' isn't a good thing. Throw the derp hands and cry SJW all you want, he's still an asshole.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, obviously. But people should have the freedom to choose to listen to an asshole. Those who don't, don't have to.
    No need to silence everyone you don't want to hear when you can just choose what to listen to for yourself.
    Plenty of other 'outdated' people out there that'd love him :blobpats:

Wujigege and imK like this.
  8. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    True. I wouldn't have even known of him if it wasn't for this post.

elengee likes this.
  9. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of people nowday, getting too comfortable in their own safe zone.

When it get invaded or they step out a bit.
    They end up greatly butthurt wounded

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

imK likes this.
  11. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could say the exact same thing about the flip end of the argument, though. People can get angry that he said stuff they don't like, and he's free to ignore their comments. No need to silence everyone who voice their opinion about you, when you can just choose what to listen to for yourself.

Honestly, this isn't a big deal. People got annoyed, pointed it out, the guy accepted the criticism and apologized. Good on him, he stood for what he said and didn't shrink even if he changed his opinion, that's respectable. We can all move on, so why the issue with this?

imK and Fulminata like this.
  12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    People are not told not to run like a girl.

This is just covering a bullet hole with a bandaid.

The issue is systematic.

It is women 's fault that athletes don't concentrate.

A psycho who lost money betting on a sports team should find in justifiable if he goes on a murder spree of the women in the vicinity of the teams

Llamadragon and Fulminata like this.