Korean Mandatory Military

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ruyue, Aug 21, 2020.

?

Does your country have a mandatory military service

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    79.8%
  1. shin chan

shin chan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't know if this is right (based on south korean tv shows I've watched)
    but
    don't ppl over there take dual citizenship to get out of mandatory service
    as I've already listed my source so please don't take this seriously

2. aznhalfbloodz

aznhalfbloodz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't recommend joining the RoK Army. If you are a gyopo, it would be better to maintain your home country's citizenship. You are better off getting an F-4 Korean Heritage Visa. It gives you permanent residency status, which affords you most of the same opportunities a citizen has. Also, don't expect to get paid well as a conscript..the money is bare bones. Also, by serving in a foreign military, you may be forced to relinquish citizenship of your home country. In the case of the US, this is what I found from the Dept of State.

They wouldn't be eligible or extremely unlikely to ever be picked up. He does not speak Korean. Part of being a KATUSA entails speaking with both parties frequently. You'll mostly be living with US soldiers, but you'll be the liaison between both parties. Ive known several Koreans that have a greater command of the English language than most native English speakers and still not make the cut. The amount of openings is very limited, pool is large, and the selection is very stringent and sometimes arbitrary.

3. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    It's mandatory service :blobwoah:
    So it's responsibility:hmm:

4. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Not Korean, and not mandatory now, but the way my father described it was "everyone snoring and farting". Otherwise, he was the athletic type who got things done. But he did get pneumonia after digging ditches due to being caught in a storm and not getting treated in time. That was in the 70s tho. It's also guaranteed you'll meet some power-tripping low IQ assholes here. Swallow your ego, your pride, your dignity, and forsake comfort and sleep, and you should be fine, I guess. I wouldn't know.

5. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    My country doesn’t have a mandatory military service. Even thou I wish it did. As for serving under the military. I was once part army national guard. I felt it was a good experience. The equipment was the only bad part. Some of the stuff seems like it came form WW II. But the experience. The people. It was worth it.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I think compulsory military service is like, the worst law any country can make, so... I'd advise against it I guess?

I don't really know anything about the military though, so... Welp.

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nay nay~ it good policy for country small size with adequate population located on quite dubious region~ North Korea and South Korea technically on ceasefire condition iirc so yeah it kinda good one~ hmm there also history and country stance such as Sweden hmm? do Sweden still have conscription?

anyway for top 5 most populate country put aside USA who seem like to keep big military, conscription is financial crisis~

8. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got no experience so I can't give advice but it might be worthwhile to contact your local Korean embassy if you have questions about the process itself.

imK likes this.
  9. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the OP was saying Asians are less racist against non Asians, not that Asians don't face racism

imK likes this.
  10. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    I decline to comment

Godgrid and kenar like this.
  11. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there was a Korean reality show ‘Real Men’ about celebrities trying out the military. It might give u a rough idea

MrSplashy likes this.
  12. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I'd gladly take the role of a pleb. I would serve the military if my country gets attacked. As for the OP, are there any foreign legions/corps/units inside the Korean military that would help make your transition a bit more easier and that you could try and ask them teach you Hangul(I think that's the Korean language right?). I don't have experience with Military(even though I love it) and only have basic knowledge and the experience from my brother who is in the army(was put into reserve forces) so I won't go and give you helpful tips and such.

I really suggests trying to ask your Recruiter or some Military Official about the general situation, what to expect as a foreigner joining the military, and lastly tell them that you don't have that much experience and knowledge with the Korean language and that if it's possible to learn it whilst in BT or something.

This could help too.

13. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lucky my ass or not I had a health condition, so I wasn't part of the platoons... but paperwork was a pain in the ass.

No. 1 rule: Salute. Just salute if you don't know shit. Salute if you know. Just salute, soldier!

14. Godgrid

Godgrid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a VERY beautified version of the military. The show received a shit load of criticism as it doesn't really accurately portray the army. The celebrities received a load of benefits and got through it easily as the military was scared of a big ass lawsuit if they harmed one of them.

15. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    No ROK enlistment unless you're applying for grunts is pretty much just like academy for little boy scouts or cadets. Oh and make sure to practices your butt mooch skills. You gonna need them.