Real Life Chinese Entertainment Industry

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CaptainToast, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainToast

CaptainToast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it anything like its depicted in the novels? Full of SGR kids and bad actors getting put in just cause they're popular or rich instead of skill?

2. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China is a very large country, I believe it is happening, not in every place but it is pretty much real.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  3. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bribing is an ancient skill

4. cosmicimmortal

cosmicimmortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd always been really curious about this cause reading novels it really seems as if the entertainment industry is like above the law or something.

forktine and nyamachi like this.
  5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The act of giving and accepting bribes is a standard practice in pretty much every single country on Earth. But in China... Let's say that it's more rampant. From teachers, to even fucking surgeons, everyone accepts bribes. It's ingrained into the very culture itself.

The entertainment industry in China is under the direct supervision of the central government. Which is unbelievably... slow and fucking corrupt.

Books&films can be put on hold for entire years for shit like *slight female nudity* while people with connections can make them accept supposedly 'prohibited stuff' overnight. And as the market is oversaturated with people who wanna become actors/successful, prostitution runs rampant as well. It's very probable that 2 out of every 3 successful female actors had to sell their bodies at some point.

6. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if your talking about some companies pimping out their stars in exchange for resources and financial backing than it really did happen. a couple companies got raided and shut down because of it in the 2000s-2010s (can't remember when exactly) and several female stars were run out of the entertainment circle because of it (no male stars were mentioned or publicly shamed, just the females). there were some reforms put into place but I don't know what they were or if they actually work.
    there is a lot of corruption and nepotism in China, not just the entertainment circle, and money and Family is way more important than equality or law. a person can get away with murder if they have enough money and the right family connections.

7. etclair

etclair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There have been incidents where actors who have already started filming actually got pushed out of the crew and then replaced by someone (most people suggested a backer), though these things are spread around Weibo and we can’t really judge too much. There is definitely nepotism and bribery though. Sometimes actors will go in with a bad reputation for these actions, then later xibai or “cleanse” their reputation. As things on the internet go, most people stop caring after a while, and things continue

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  8. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure bribing and connections are in it.

I remember when watching I think in produce camp, wang Chengyi was forced to leave the show since the other companies didn’t like him, and wang chengyi didn’t have a company... he was an individual trainee who was a dance instructor...
    the show told fans he left the show of his own will. but it was pretty fishy because day before he promised fans to keep going and win and do a meet and greet with fans... but he was stuck in a hotel and left crying. Then the announcement of him leaving came out. So fans on Twitter were wanting justice for him but pretty sure tencent and companies didn’t give a damn.

I basically dropped the show when I found out I literally only watched like 2 episodes that were subbed and so far liked him because he was nice.

However the produce 101 Korean series did rig votes for seasons because of bribes and got in trouble for it so I would not be surprised if the Chinese version did same too.... but since tencent is in cahoots with govt I doubt they’d be in trouble honestly XD

Oh to add there was a rumor for iqiyi youth with you this year, that one of the girls is like daughter of rich billionaire (Or maybe it was confirmed idk i think she is already actress tho with lot of fans so she won anyways) so she has like lots of screen time etc on the show... so definitely feels rather unfair for other contestants who didn’t get any screen time...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    melomarl likes this.
  9. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You must meant Slavery, Just search novels with chinese slavery and you will find them

10. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's real, but it's false to claim that they're incapable. These SGR kids usually have an impressive educational background and could afford top notch beauty care routine. However, with the huge population of China, there will also be lots of competitions. So these SGR kids used their connections to tip things on their favor.

11. EllaRiverLynx

EllaRiverLynx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just, SGR. I've been following the C-Ent industry for years and even if you won't add in the sexual exploitation, the corruption, mafia-like bullying bigger agencies and powerful backers do are still quite ruthless. Not surprising because C-Ent is very profitable. They'd do anything to acquire and retain their share of the market. You may not be SGR for example, but if you're a favorite or you're a willing happy pawn of a powerful company, you can still survive with cheat codes lol.

That's why if you hear "news" like someone have apparently done something "bad", dont trust it immediately. Especially if you look into the offensive party's connections, who their friends are and which ones of them and the companies they worked for have benefited from the defensive party's fall....then you can bet that all the attack could be fake news, exaggerated or deliberate, made to turn public opinion against that celebrity in order to push them out of the profitable spotlight. You're fucked if you're poor.

12. CaptainToast

CaptainToast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What the fuck are you even talking about?

13. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    i could be true but you would never know if you dont try do i recommend that you experience it your self , i mean who knows you could alway try to get into some thing in china and then tell us , bu really you could never know with out trying

14. Hanimchie

Hanimchie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am also wondering if dramas in entertainment industries also happen :blobunsure: Like do actors or actresses hate anothere celeb and then try to slander them or try to scheme them? :hmm: Entertainment industry is so troublesome...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.