Recommendations Looking for a novel with ship upgrades/battles.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Omnicast, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for novels with ship upgrades/battles.

• Male Protagonist captaining his own vessel. Preferably smart, witty, roguish, and a bit mercenary/opportunist. I don’t want to read about a stupid Protagonist that releases enemies only to get stabbed in the ass later on. :facepalm:
    • A decent grasp of English with minor grammatical issues.
    • Preferably the POV is mainly from the Male Protagonist.
    • Sci-fi or fantasy no steampunk.
    • Fantasy sailing ships/fantasy airships/sci-fi starships are all great!:aww:
    • Romance or harems are okay.
    • Lots of ship battles! :aww:
    Things I'm not looking for:
    • Modern/VR/Steampunk settings.
    • Genderbenders
    • Tragedy
    • Multiple Points of View although I'm okay with it as long as those POVs are side characters and not the main focus. 80% Main character and 20% side characters are okay.
    A few examples of what I enjoyed:
    • Me, Her, and the Ballistic Weaponry [Antique]
    • Three Square Meals (Adult)
    • Seaborn (Except the last 22-24 chapters. Those sucked. Chapter 34-37 was just stupid. 38 was getting better then it went on hiatus.)
      The MC gets a really cool class and special set of powers yet the author drags it on and on without them coming in play for X chapters. Chapters 34-37 just amplifies the MC's lack of foresight and it annoys me to no end. He sees slaves suffering and stands up for them only to send them straight into a slave auction himself. He then purchases a slave himself. :facepalm:

He could have sunk the ship and used his class/powers to raise himself a crew of freed slaves! It would have added quite a diverse cast without the MC looking like a pathetic piece of shit.:blobconfused:
    I don’t mind if the story is on Royalroad, ScribbleHub, or StoriesOnline as long as it’s not on Webnovel. Watt pad or WordPress might be okay too, but TBH I never go to those two sites.

Another novel type I’d be interested in would be if the Protagonist found an ancient derelict and brought it back to life.

Edit: Already read I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship, so I Became a Space Mercenary
    Already read Unparalleled Path ~ Reincarnated as the AI for a Space Battleship ~
    Already read Post Human
    Already read Chrysalis (The AI one not the Ant one.)

Thanks for the suggestions! :aww:

Edited for extra clarity and grammar. Added not interested section. Added links to novels I've read.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    gwapskoo24, Maomaomao and Sabruness like this.
  2. Prion

Prion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship, so I Became a Space Mercenary haven´t read it but seems to be popular and fits your description.

Omnicast likes this.
  3. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention I read that. It was good until it became too easy going slice of life. Japanese novels tend to do that. Maybe I’ll pick it up again when he gets a mothership.

Sorry about that. First time posting in looking for.

4. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have 48 Hours a Day has entire arc where MC develops from average person to pirate king.

5. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Aww man Webnovel novel. Ugh bad experience with the majority of novels I’ve read there. Sorry that’s a no from me. Thanks for replying though!

6. huavuhien

huavuhien Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would recommend " syosetu.org/novel/82761/"

if you are a fan of Kantai Collection, you will enjoy it
    PS: PLease use GOogle translate or any translation app for English since it was written in Japanese

7. Bryce

Bryce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Oregon Files - Corsair by Clive Cussler w/ Jack Du Brul
    Dirk Pitt Adventure - Sahara by Clive Cussler (haven't read it yet, but the movie depicted how NUMA's covert/armed speedboat of sort went into combat w/ MC in the helm)
    Also, if you're interested:
    - several chapter on Tom Clancy's Clear & Present Danger depicted how an F-14 pilot "hunt" some smugglers plane
    - Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor depicted the how-to/strategy used by stealth fighters & helicopters when used to combat over enemies territories

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  9. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a volume in Altina the Sword Princess where there's awesome ship battles. They fight against steam powered ships with regular sail ships so he has to use his wits to win. But to get to that volume you have to read a lot of land battles first.

10. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Why am I hearing 'He is a Pirate' music after clicking on this thread.

11. gwapskoo24

gwapskoo24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah! A fellow who also like Three Square Meals hehehe.:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

12. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    @huavuhien Sorry man. While I think the girls in Kantai are cute/beautiful/sexy, I'm just not looking to read about ship girls. I want large SciFi battleships blasting each other into itty bits with cannons/railguns/missiles/etc or Fantasy sailing ships broadsiding its prey into submission. The google translate requirement sinks that recommendation even more. Google sucks at translating. :blobcry:

@Bryce Not really into VR novels anymore. Some of the reviews are quite critical of Into the Black. That makes it even iffier for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot though. :hmm:

@S4TY4 Sorry man gonna give these a pass. Not into Modern settings unless its Modern VS Fantasy or Modern VS SciFi.

@Walter vi Britannia Hmmm maybe I'll pick it up again. I dropped the novel ages ago and forgot about it. Don't even remember why I dropped it. I don't remember hating it. :hmm:

@Darkcrow. Hmmm... maybe because I was dreaming about epic ship broadsides and my mind was subtly injecting POTC music into my thread. :cookie:

@gwapskoo24 I really like the parts of the story where the crew gets new technology and upgrades the ship with it. Then the ship battles were awesome too. I just didn't like how the author drowns the novel with repetitive adult scenes. I think another gripe was the fact that the girls eventually all had the same body type. The uniformity irks me.

So yeah thanks for all the replies! Most of the recommendations aren't what I'm looking for though. Probably just being a picky reader. :blobxd: