How Does Novel Updates Work?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Tony, Nov 16, 2016.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Add a Series first, the series won't be publicly visible at that point, but it will be added to the database.

Add the release next. When the mods see that you added both a series and a release for it, they'll approve both.

Blitz and yoonrei like this.
  2. yoonrei

yoonrei New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to add a series, so your release can be assigned to it. The sequence goes like this:
    1. Add group (if it doesn't exist)
    2. Add series (if it doesn't exist)
    3. Add release
    4. Wait for staff approval/rejection
    No notice would be given for (4) but if it still doesn't appear after a day, you can approach the staff about it. Do check NU Policy and see if the release fits the requirements.

Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  4. ASplashOfMusic

ASplashOfMusic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, can NU also auto approve chapters that are posted as pages in Wordpress as long as we put the novel's title or its abbreviation in the headings part? Since pages aren't categorized, and I don't think they show up in RSS.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    NU can autograb chapters either by e-mail or by RSS Feed. If your site automatically sends e-mails to followers whenever you make a new page, then it is fine.

Otherwise, here are some workarounds you can use:

1) Make a post that "announces" the new chapter. It can be some really simple thing like:

"A new chapter of Novel A is live, you can read it here! [Insert link to the page with the chapter here]"

Of course, the post should have the appropriate chapter number and category in it to be grabbed by the bot.

2) Use a plugin to add categories to pages. I recommend one to do that and a few others in this thread: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/making-your-own-translation-site-choosing-plugins.75476/

Putting a Category in your page also adds it to the RSS Feed, so the bot will grab it just fine.

ASplashOfMusic likes this.
  6. Mycophobia

Mycophobia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I am the TL'er for CS Bonus Hunter and I realized that I forgot to add a description to the novel when I initially added it to the site. I tried to change the description with the "Edit" function several times, but it did not seem to work.

Just want to double check if it simply will have to be approved first (In that case my apologies for the potential spam), or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much!

7. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    First, you need that description/synopsis on the Translator's website, in this case your website. Then you copy it, click edit at the Eescription, paste it, and click Save. To see if it's in effect, refresh the page.

8. Mycophobia

Mycophobia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have that on my website, though titled as "Foreword from TL'er". I have tried copying the synopsis portion of that and then click the "Edit" button besides the "Description" part of the page. I am able to copy them over and save without error, but when I refresh the page the description remains N/A.

9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have script running on your browser? Did you use any novelupdate-like app? Do you have javascript enabled? Did you adblock the website?

Paste your description here so others can help you save it. There is no Project page on your website, so finding the description isn't easy.

10. Mycophobia

Mycophobia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My bad for relatively bad organization on my part, still relatively new to this. If its not too much trouble I've attached the description I wrote below, if someone can add it for me. Thank you in advance.

"2002, Nanjing, a group of young people from various walks of life found themselves bond together by their common love for CS. What started as an attempt to make a living as hired guns in the video game quickly lead them on to the path of competing for WCG championship. Could this rag-tag band make a name for themselves during the dawn of e-sport, and could obtain something more than money in the process?"

11. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It's done.
    Screenshot_20200909_121107.png

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. Mycophobia

Mycophobia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much, and sorry for troubling you :)

13. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    You're welcome, dunno why it didn't work for you. Good luck.

14. Gabi94

Gabi94 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do i have to wait to get my group approved" before entering a release?

15. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    no.
    a group and/or new novel will not be approved unless a chapter has been submitted for it.
    you'll have to submit a chapter first.

16. Gabi94

Gabi94 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First thank you for the fast reply :D
    i already submitted the group, would this be a problem then ?

17. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    the steps goes like this

1. submit/create novel page. make sure it is as complete as possible (IF the nove is not on Novelupdates yet -read notes below)
    2. submit/create a group
    3. submit a chapter

notes:
    type the raw name (original novel name in its original language) in the search box to see if there's any match. instead of full name, just type a partial of it. for example if the title is
    俺がお嬢様学校に「庶民サンプル」として拉致られた件
    我被绑架到大小姐学校当庶民样本
    just choose a random part of it, 庶民サンプル」とし and put into the search box.

alternatively, use google. type the novel name or the author (in original name) but add "site:novelupdates.com" at the end.

18. Gabi94

Gabi94 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Oh, then, its ok. I did in that order. Except for add a novel as i'm picking one up. I've seen the rules for that too,so i picked one that was last updated more then 6 months ago. ( The previous translator also said in her site that was ok if anyone wanted to pick it up).

Thank you for your reply, this was basically my first time in the forum, so i was a little lost ... :D

19. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    "3-months" is only a rule to create a 'novel pickup request' thread on the forum. the main site doesn't work like that. if a novel has been idling for a month, then anyone is eligible to submit their chapters for *listing. but that is ONLY IF the previous translator has 30 **releases for that particular novel. if they have less, then another translator can submit their chapters right away.

LaDyViL and AMissingLinguist like this.
  20. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link