Question Summer Reading: Should I use a webnovel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ruyue, Aug 24, 2020.

?

Have you written a book report about a webnovel?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    91.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have school starting, on September 5th. I have yet to read a summer reading novel. I've been looking at some books (Meditations, The Enchiridion), but I feel too lazy to read them. While complaining about this homework, I joked to my younger brother about just doing my summer reading about the webnovel I'm currently reading, "Omniscient Readers Viewpoint."
    Then after a bit, I started thinking about what I said, more and more. I just rechecked my prompt and there is nothing really stopping me from doing so, but I don't know if I should. It would be real easy though.

So should I write a book report about "Omniscient Readers Viewpoint"?

nikyoruu-chan, Uzi30, Lurking and 2 others like this.
  2. etherealbao

etherealbao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    unless there is a restriction on genre or the origin of the novel, why not? I never really tried it before since my teacher used to be picky, especially on novels which originally aren't in english or my native language.

But personally, ORV is a quite good one. Just go ahead if you feel like it

3. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    ORV is a fantastic story but honestly I wouldn’t. While there really isn’t anything technically stopping you, I would stay on the side of caution and use a published story from your country because what if the teacher simply declares that web novels do not count and Gives you a failing grade? Also the entirety of ORV is long to summarize, it’s not really a book but a series honestly.

nikyoruu-chan likes this.
  4. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course you, because if you make it sound bizarre and realistic enough of a report than it'll work.

It's like starting your talk with a 2000+ Chapter CN novel. You can only write so much until the teacher skips everything to get to the end.

5. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be up to you. If you think you can and if doing it will get you motivated to do the work I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  6. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should first check with your teacher on what constitutes as a book, and if you can, run through ORV with him/her for confirmation. You want to have a written evidence for best result.

ORV is a pretty good webnovel to be honest, if only this novel existed when I still had to write a report about my book readings.

7. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    I miss those days where your teacher would assign you "annoying" homework during Christmas.

If only I could go back to simpler times when my brother was still sane and still had a PS3!
      ∧_∧≡=-
     (ーωー* )-=-
      ⊂、⊂ヽ≡=-
       ⊂ー、_)≡=-

8. shan1102

shan1102 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GO FOR IT!!! I've done it before and not just on webnovels but also manga (⁎⁍̴̛ᴗ⁍̴̛⁎). I don't do book reports anymore (bc it's not required) but I would definitely do one on ORV ♡(> ਊ <)♡

nikyoruu-chan likes this.
  9. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    you could. just pretend its a much shorter webnovel, cut the filler from your book report, try to get all the pertinent plot points, write what you think about the book, maybe even write that its annoying theres so much filler and the pace is so slow

10. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me remind you that RainbowTurtle quit midway due to RL problem and they changed tler. Be prepared if you want to read this to completion.

Lurking likes this.
  11. aliasluna

aliasluna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DO ITTTTTT

SHARE YOUR GRADE HERE AFTER

GOODLUCK!!!

Lurking likes this.
  12. Uzi30

Uzi30 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never thought of doing something like this, but it does seem more fun than doing a traditional book. If its allowed, the only issue I can think of is whether you are expected to write about the end (haven't read title you listed, unsure how long it is or if its completed).

Another thing to keep in mind if it is a long web novel is to stick to talking about only a couple things. Web novels can get pretty long, so a book report may end up feeling empty if you try to cram too much in just a couple pages. If the novel isn't finished, the teacher may be interested in hearing how certain things may change as it progresses.

shan1102 and Lurking like this.
  13. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    if it is possible you should do it
    back when i had to do such things i was handed a list of books that i was permitted to read
    and those weren't webnovels at all

Lurking likes this.
  14. enkiros

enkiros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translation for ORV is okay, but it's far from being perfect, it clearly lacks an editor or proofreader, at least for the 60 or so chapters I've read so far. There's also some really awkwardly phrased lines once in a while. Tbh, I'd choose an actual published novel. Though, aside from whatever opinion your teacher might have about webnovels, I don't really see why you wouldn't be able to

Lurking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.