Recommendations CN Novels For Beginner

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by myurikko, Sep 4, 2020.

1. myurikko

myurikko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly read JP novels but lately I've been exploring CN ones as well... and I'll admit it upfront:

I'm not used to the writing style or language yet, and I would love some help.

Anyone have any recs for CN novels of any genre (I'll read anything, honestly) that are beginner-friendly? For example, I felt MDZS has been a good start because each chapter has footnotes about words and titles that need explanation.
    I'd also love to hear which first CN novels got you more interested, even if they're not super great for beginners!

2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    myurikko, SayMrrp and LollipoPReapeR like this.
  3. myurikko

myurikko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  5. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with these three is that the reader might get unreasonable expectations for other Chinese novels. These are quite a bit above average OP. Quite a bit above the norm, so temper your expectations accordingly.

myurikko likes this.
  6. Rimuru Tempest

Rimuru Tempest Slime Demon Lord Fighting the Last Boss

Reading List:
    Link
    myurikko likes this.
  7. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Sun Knight +1! And most of that author’s other works, as she often uses Western settings which are easier to follow for new readers. Her most popular ones are Dominion’s End, Half Prince, and No Hero.

Yu Brothers’ Case Book is also an easy read, as it doesn’t have many cultural or technical references. Unique Legend has a few more cultural references because of the MC’s thoughts, but setting is Western so it isn’t too hard to understand.

I actually think MDZS is quite confusing with the constant flashbacks and the ancient Chinese setting, but if you thought it was easy to understand, then you would be able to enjoy Heaven Official’s Blessing as well.

Another great transition one would be Earth is Online :)

myurikko and SayMrrp like this.
  8. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    I started with TDG, but the author kinda flaked and gave up on it. Lots of people started with TDG, so you can still go and read a couple hundred chapters! They're fun to read. I don't regret reading it even if it'll never be finished. Douluo Dalu is also a beginner novel apparently. I read it around the same time as TDG, so it should be fine for you to read... since lots of people started with it.

I also second Legend of the Sun Knight!

Advent of the Archmage and Night Ranger are both CN novels that have Western settings. I put Advent in my Hall of Fame reading list, so I must've REALLY liked it. Night Ranger is one of my favorite novels (and I've read a LOT), even if the ending is open! Monarch of Evernight is also pretty western... it's kinda dark though. The Legendary Mechanic is also kinda Western and really good!

A Will Eternal and I Shall Seal the Heavens are both WuxiaWorld novels so, even if they're complex and cultivation-based, I trust that the WuxiaWorld TLs will help you understand.

Doomsday Wonderland is my favorite novel with a female MC. She's not airheaded or weak. Bless. I don't think it's hard to read.

Library of Heaven's Path is a classic (probably). It might be a bit complicated though... so maybe later.

Gourmet of Another World's a food novel, so even if you don't understand the details, you can enjoy a food novel!

Lord of the Mysteries is a LEGEND. It's Western so no weird CN terms, but a complicated (BUT REALLY GOOD) read. The quality has stayed for 718 chapters, in my opinion.

The Charm of Soul Pets is fun even though it starts out dark. Even if you don't understand the details, you still get the hype!

Superstars of Tomorrow is chill. It's kinda futuristic, so that's a different type of difficulty.

World of Cultivation might be hard for you to read, but it's a fan-favorite and something you should check out later!

(EDIT: Realized I went wild, so I bolded my favorite novels regardless of difficulty to read. Sorry for the messy post.)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    myurikko likes this.
  9. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest you start with novels like Wu Dong Qian Kun and Peerless Martial God. Not quite bottom tier as Chinese novels go (which really says something about novels like Martial God Asura) but good to give you a good gist of the unending cliches you will come across. All the novels recommended above are pretty good, so imo you should save them until you get the crap ones out the way first. That is only if you want a spend long time on them...

myurikko likes this.
  10. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link