Discussion Reverend Insanity?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Alairia, Sep 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alairia

Alairia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, people have been recommending me to read Reverend Insanity, because I recently ask what good novels to read after Lord of the Mysteries. I'm not a really picky person, I just want to know if Reverend Insanity on the same par as LOTM and will it be worth reading

2. Alairia

Alairia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks you in advance too

3. TianKrea

TianKrea 『Novice』

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO it is one of the best novels on this site so yeah it is definitely on par with LOTM. Also if you have not read it yet you can try Throne of Magical Arcana. Same author as LOTM and it is also very good.

4. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried reading it since I liked Warlock of The Magus World and was looking for an evil main character but i didnt end up liking it. The writing was solid but I dont like the main character I didnt care for his particular type of evil. I would say give it a shot if that sounds like something your looking for.
    If you just want some good novels to read i recommend pretty much anything by I eat Tomatoes or Er Gen. I really liked A Will Eternal and Coiling Dragon.

5. GGbookluver

GGbookluver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried reading Reverend Insanity and I was only able to get to chapter 9 before I couldn't go any furhter. Does it get better? People keep saying it's an amazing series...

6. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial arts master is by the same author as LOTM, other than a few chapters where the translators butchered it, it’s a pretty solid read imo. As for reverend insanity, it’s a good story with solid writing but if you can’t handle evil MC, like truly vile selfish evil, then don’t even bother

TianKrea likes this.
  7. Dreamscape1599

Dreamscape1599 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read for some hundred chapters a long time ago, and I have to say that the writing is solid. The plot is good and the twists in it are pretty unexpected. However, it ain't for everyone and the novel was banned in China so yeah...

Anyway, it's on par or a little below LOTM with cliches and all but it's a satisfying read. But it may be very bad if you don't like the MC's personality and how the world works (Spoilers: Everyone is selfish, there is no one to be trusted.)

animefan4004 likes this.
  8. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It not so good. Reverend is just killing and killing with and without reason. Its just a mindless killing with hollow reasons. The world is also pretty nuts - everyone in that world are working only for themselves and would bertray anyone for any little stupid reason. Dropped it halfway.

Elementarteilchen likes this.
  9. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah the mc, not antihero, but plainly evil massacre, kill ..gore stuff and more importantly idiot he being defeated by guy with almost no cultivation, cuz he disdain to care for him to ended up that guy git luck gu

10. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't like Reverend Insanity, mainly because of 2 reasons.

1. The cultivation system: He doesn't cultivate to extend his own power. He cultivates to be able to use monsters called "gu" (kind of like pokemon). The higher his cultivation, the stronger (higher leveled "gu") he can use. A lot of time in the novel is spend to find and get strong "gus".
    "Gus" can also die. F.e. an opponent can kill your hard earned gus and if you don't have any gus anymore you are basically defenseless, like a baby before an adult.
    2. The protagonist himself. He can and will abandon anything to get resources. Friendship? Just as long as it benefits him, etc.
    Honestly I don't mind this mindset, but this behaviour manifests itelf to a very high degree, where his personality becomes bland and predictable. You wish it would have more layers...

If you don't mind this 2 points, give RI a try.

For me it is a 2 star novel with very few, but occasionally 5 star moments.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  11. NewbornWarrior7

NewbornWarrior7 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity is in my opinion one of the best Qidian novels around. It is a bit polarizing because it features a genuinely "evil" protagonist which people will either love or hate. Comparing RI to LOTM is somewhat unfair since they each go for two very different styles. That said, they both have a power system that's a lot different to most other Chinese novels and they both don't have a higher realm to ascend to constantly. There are a lot of interesting little parables sprinkled throughout the novel and there usually isn't an annoying crowd spectating and providing commentary at every conflict. The non main characters aren't copies of the same brain dead characters with different names but many of them have their own motivations and are actually capable. Most importantly to me the author is really consistent with his world and will introduce ideas and characters that are actually brought back as part of the world rather than thrown away before the start of the next arc.

12. Kira059

Kira059 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's IMO

13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a novel but short for the phase "In my opinion" basically.

14. Kira059

Kira059 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you.

I'm up to date on Reverend Insanity, and I have countless takes on it, but I just have to say, that the story seems really dull at the start, however the excellent writing and creative concepts will want you to see how everything turns out, the novel is extremely well thought out, meticulous to the point that it makes you wonder if the author remembers every single word in the novel. It's really fun to read it, especially in the later parts of the story

15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Locked for necro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.