Discussion As I stare out the window as the huge plumes of smoke...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miserys_End, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how many of us Nuffians have been in or around forest or wildland fires. It's actually kind of sad, right now there are two or three major fires along roads that I drive when I feel the edge to drive... one of the campgrounds I used to camp at with a girlfriend burned yesterday and the same fire is heading twords the state capital. xD

There is a good half dozen major fires in oregon and almost a dozen minor ones in Oregon, and Washington and California are just as bad if not worse... I mean we've always had forest fires every year, but guess it hits a little closer to home when you can look out the window and see nothing but smoke.

On a side note, one of the closest fires to me kind of looks like a vagina on the map I've been using to track it...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blame Old man Yama for using his bankai too often. I bet thats all according to Aizen plan too.

3. anonymous M.K. 42

anonymous M.K. 42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't see anything like a forestal fire in real perspective but there was once a huge fire in a factory(of plastics products i think?) some years ago. It was at the point the bus was driving me home had to take another route. Even though i couldn't see that close(for safety reasons) it was enough for me to tell how high the damage was. Also when i was returning from a family trip, with my family, we drive very near a burning tree branch under a car. It was night and there a lot of cars so we had to pass really near it. I actually thought it was gonna explode when we were near.

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing on my doorstep. There were some fires a couple of years ago or so that put a lot of smoke in the area, but they didn't quite make it all the way over. ... By the way, if you live that close to one please do make sure you're ready to evacuate if necessary. Preferably at a moment's notice. Y'know. Just in case.

6. Mr_Magika

Mr_Magika Big oof

Reading List:
    Link
    My neighbour's house caught on fire once. I called my friend over and we sat on the roof watching it burn.

7. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link

"It took only 4 hours for Paradise to be destroyed."
    :blobawkward:

8. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it a Gender Reveal Party?

9. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I just say how mad I am that the cause of Bobcat was a gender reveal party. ffs it’s the middle of a pandemic and it was 114 degrees. Why did they use freakin pyrotechnics!!! Now the sky is covered with smoke, the moon is red, and the skyline is orange despite it being 11am. Should’ve used Discord

Fulminata, Sabruness and SayMrrp like this.
  10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember watching a few house fires when I was young. I remember the one across the street being started by a computer being on for twelve hours. Then there was the arsonist who set fires to houses in the middle of the night in my town a few days before Christmas, I think, with one of the houses being across the street. He killed two people. The cops even pulled him over for drunk driving, but let him go because he had a sob story about breaking up with his girlfriend.

I have not, however, experienced the kind of fires you are experiencing and I hope I never will.

11. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember it raining ash once or twice when I was growing up when there was a nearby forest fire. We got to see old WW2-era repurposed bombers flying low in the hills to drop payloads of retardant. I was more fascinated than worried, but a lot of that was from being 10-15 years old, I figure.

12. bchen3

bchen3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The orange glare outside feels kind of intimidating, like the sky is angry at us.

13. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of those images from Oregon remind me of my favorite National Geographic image.
    VaK8O.jpg

14. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Every year, they say, "These are the worst wildfires that California has ever experienced!" and every year, it gets worse. Like... I remember there being a few wildfires as a kid, but it really seems to have increased exponentially over time. The fact that there are folks who can still get on a podium and say, "Climate change doesn't exist!" is just... baffling to me.

melomarl likes this.
  15. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a little kiddo out on a picnic in the mountains with my family, someone started a fire by accident and it quickly spread. Me being a stupid little kid with no sense of direction or danger was running toward the fire when my parents told us to run, then my mother chased me down. It's all very vague in my memories. She told me later it was the scariest moment in her life.

Fulminata and ExcitableFoci like this.
  16. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more due to mismanagement than anything related to climate change. When you keep putting out every fire, fuel builds up on the forest floor. Over time this leads to fires that, instead of burning through quickly and just consuming underbrush, have enough fuel to linger and light the whole forest on fire. It's also gotten more difficult to get permission for controlled burns to clear out underbrush. All in all, it's turned a natural situation (Redwoods have evolved to incorporate fires into reproduction, for example) into an unnaturally severe one. A hot, dry year may contribute, but bad policies have made it far, far worse.

nyamachi and Sabruness like this.
  17. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    well, it is California. Dont you guys have like a ton of ultra-greenies who prevent proper fire mitigation and management strategies?. i know we've had that problem here in Aus. Greenies prevent fire mitigation works then screech their heads off when fires happen exactly where the mitigation would have been done but are worse because the work was blocked.

@Miserys_End i'm Aussie. crazy bushfires are par for the course.

+1. this is the biggest issue. Here in Aus, we've had a lot of issues with mismanagement and dangerous green tape that has restricted the proper management of fire mitigation strategies which have turned a few otherwise manageable fire situations into runaway flaming shitstorms that cost lives. fortunately, as a silver lining to the horrible summer we've had, sense has been knocked into our state and local authorities to cut the shit and do things properly.

nyamachi and Kerbouchard like this.
  18. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Cant decide if the smoke outside smells like campfire, a cedar sauna, or a BBQ..... in anycase I keep craving grilled meat and a nice long soak in a jacuzzi....

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  19. Msuuuuuu

Msuuuuuu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just a test run for what's to come

20. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I was near a large-scale plantation fire once. The heat, ashes, and smoke...it was awful :sweating_profusely: