Is it normal to paywall translations?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Catastrophe3905, Sep 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Catastrophe3905

Catastrophe3905 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really know much about this subject but recently I've noticed a lot of translations getting paywalled. I personally don't mind it because translators also work hard on these. I was just wondering if it's legal and If it's unfair to the author.

Shizukani, Vampire Maiden and karii94 like this.
  2. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually it's something of a 'soft' paywall where people who donate or subscribe get earlier access to the chapters. Most of the time the chapters will come out for free to the general populace later.

If you are talking about Qidian, then most of their stuff is paywalled and you'll have to search around for alternatives.

Shizukani, AliceShiki, imK and 7 others like this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if they are licensed to translate them. Webnovel is a shitty translation site but they are legit.

Shizukani, SayMrrp, imK and 9 others like this.
  4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    As legit as you can get with a gun to the author's head and a contract in front of him.

imK, Ophious, Sabruness and 6 others like this.
  5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    As legit as incest in Alabama.

elengee, imK and Sheng Ling like this.
  6. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    As legit as USA's healthcare costs.

imK and Incoder1000 like this.
  7. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically that's the same with all the publishers in China. I'm still pissed about LotM. I'm pretty sure the recent contract assrape was involved with the novel getting rushed.

8. loeuf

loeuf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, marrying your first cousin IS LEGAL in Alabama, along with several other states

Vampire Maiden likes this.
  9. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    Also in Japan

10. loeuf

loeuf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsmile: what has the world come to :blobsmile: (lmao sorry for not contributing to the actual thread)

Rhydec likes this.
  11. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, isn't this a repeat thread? I could have sworn I saw the exact same question in the forum last week or so?

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh yes! Passive aggressive thread to shame translators.
    Is it normal to read books for free?
    I was just wondering if it's legal and If it's unfair to the author.

Pathetic!!

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't give a fuck about the paywall. I just hate Webnovel. Calm your autistic rage.

14. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    Like what other said, as long its official like what Webnoveltranslation aka Qidian did the its okay
    Other its from questionable to ilegal i mean unless original owner aka author get some of the payment from their own work that okay but if the translator just nab "free" stuff then "sell" its kinda shitty move by any mean i dont discredit a translator or scanlator since its indeed a "work"

Catastrophe3905 and TamaSaga like this.
  15. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I dislike Webnovel's paywalls, they aren't excessively expensive (probably) and you do earn a 3 or so free chapters a day, which is not a lot but whatever.

Webnovel is a legit translation site (although I prefer wuxiaworld, which not only has a great community but is also friendlier to other translators). Most chinese(and some korean) webnovels and manhua get licensed there for the simple reason that it's easier with big translation sites like that one. Laws about legal translation are complicated, people. And webnovel still needs to earn money. I can't really blame them for that. (I'd much prefer ads than paywalls tho.)

However, I firmly dislike hard paywalls on unofficial/unlicensed translation. Ads are alright and soft paywalls are somewhat acceptable (although you won't catch me paying for them), but trying so hard to earn money off of someone else's work without permission is a bit below my bottom line.
    Another thing to think about is whether unlicensed translation of VIP chapters of the raw should even be allowed?

XD BigBadBoi you might want to calm yourself down too, also this thread is about paywalls so what're you doing here then?

NekoMK2 and riririn like this.
  16. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends
    At least most that I know doing so would post 1-2 early chapter on patreon for a $ or 2 & would later release them on their site after a week or so for free
    The worst practice I've seen are:
    - Qidian/Webnovel: you'll get 10 chapters free for each novels. You'll need "tokens" to read the rests, which you could get 3/day for "free" after doing some tasks on their apps, or buy some. The worse part is they did it to their entire library including those that has ended & no free release
    - I forget which translator(s) did this but this practice makes me dropped the novel(s) entirely: they split the chapter in 2 page & you'll need to pay in order to read/access the 2nd part, which is worse since their works seems more like an MTL (maybe they didn't do proof reading, don't have an editor or something)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  17. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't hate them for their translations or paywall. I hate them for being assholes. I just answered the question of whether or not paywall is legit and Wuji sperged out over something that was never discussed.

18. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yeah, they steal translations and that's probably the biggest reason I hate them. They even stole from wuxiaworld, and to this day, Deathblade's translation of AWE and ISSTH can still be found on it even though he's never given permission to them -_-

19. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are other sites besides webnovel who have recently put up a paywall and the legitimacy of it is questionable (as in they haven't purchased the license/ right to translate). I either drop those translations or go to the original site and read the MTL instead.

20. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You speak from experience?