Recommendations Cultivation Novel with Parody Comedy

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by KageTokage, Sep 18, 2020.

1. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like My Senior Brother is Too Steady, My Disciples Are All Villains, Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4, or Ascending, Do Not Disturb.

I want a cultivation novel that is aware of the tropes on some level. For example, there was this one novel where the MC lived long enough to see the patterns without any, "Oh, this was in a novel in my previous life" moments. That's Great! (y)

I DO NOT want stale comedy though, like Library of Heaven's Path. :blobthumbsdown:

Recommendations from Webnovel are allowed. I can read them at other... locations. :blobninja:

Inaira, Viola and Toralk like this.
  2. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Would Cultivation Chat Group fit this?

It doesn't have any super Self-Aware moments but it does have a comedic approach bodering on parody for people overly familiar with the genre and is a Cultivation Novel.... obviously... the name... you know...

3. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
  4. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, I read it up until the MC kept having people hate him for the role he played in the movie.

5. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    History's Strongest Senior Brother is one of my all time favorites. It really only fits these requirements in the beginning but it is just great all around. I would highly recommend reading it. The only bummer is that the long time translator of it dropped it around the time when Qidian was laying out DMCA's and the Qidian WW drama, and they didn't want the stress of Qidian holding a proverbial knife above their head that could be dropped at any time.

It has since been picked up just at a much slower rate and translations that don't stay consistent with the original translator though admittely i am unaware of a quality change good or bad.

7. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Once Upon A Time, There Was A Spirit Sword Mountain. A completed (but not completely translated) story that was started in 2014 as basically a complaint about all the Attack-Focused Cultivation MC's. Doesn't bring up novels, but the MC is a self-styled "Adventurer" who solves his issues with his genius and ingenuity, to the point of making trouble for other people. May be one of the earliest Cultivation Parody Novels out there.

8. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it good?

9. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    @Viola @Darius Drake Cultivating Change is an amazing read! It points out so many of the things I found annoying with cultivation novels and explains them! I honestly find this to be an underrated masterpiece! It's a pretty short read, but I still loved it! :bloblove:

Thank you @Toralk for pointing this out to me! :blobparty::blobpats::blobparty:

10. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not a great yardstick for "good", but it's easily one of the better cultivation novels. While not quite up to Cultivation Chat Group's level, part of that is that it had a point to make, as well as the fact that Once Upon A Time, There Was A Spirit Sword Mountain isn't necessarily as overt with it's jokes as Cultivation Chat Group is. Particularly in relation to the references to the real world, as it is wholly contained world in and of itself. Another way to consider it is what Cultivation Chat Group could have been, if it had been set on a Cultivation Continent where the Cultivator's took themselves seriously. And I used the term "Cultivation Continent" instead of "Cultivation World" as there is a separate continent on the same world where it's Sword & Magic, meaning that they have Knights & Mages instead of Cultivators. Yes, the MC does visit there.

11. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is adapted into anime(japanese one) which was above average. I haven't read novel but anime was okay.

12. Muspon

Muspon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Senior brother is too steady

KageTokage likes this.
  13. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    First one I listed in my post. :D

Muspon likes this.