Discussion How did you get into reading novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by animefan217, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it was reading parallel world pharmacy and getting bored of waiting for new chapters.

2. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I watched anime.

2) I wanted to know what happens after the 12 episodes so I read the manga.

3) I wanted to know what happened after the manga so I read Epubs (kindle).

4) I found novelupdates while searching for epubs.

5) I no longer watch anime, read manga, or download epubs, but am still reading here on NU.

3. Kirikaize

Kirikaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Started in 4th grade when my brother showed me one piece, bleach, and Naruto.(when I found out Naruto and Pokémon were Japanese anime and not just some English cartoons on TV.)
    Moved on to songs from anime. The opening/ending themes and ost and stuff. Then onto drama shows. Sneak in a few animes, then onto more shows and Asian reality shows. What was it called takeshi's castle? And some comedy.
    Back to anime and then onto novels, I don't remember how I ended up here but was a long time ago.
    Then I kept on reading, taking breaks when I get tired. Watching animes based on my favourite novels and vice versa(same as above). Now I mainly stick to NU, and look for name and synopsis which can catch my eye.

4. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    I was looking up a manga and found the webnovel version instead, opening a whole new world. :blobparty:

Deleted member 234835 likes this.
  5. Inaira

Inaira Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was looking for something to pass time with on wattpad and just clicked on a random book with just the initials CWF as its title, I loved it and found it very unique and different to anything I've ever read, unfortunately, it was incomplete so I tried googling if it was published somewhere else, that book turned out to be Chu Wangfei which is still one of my favourite books and opened a whole new world of chinese novels for me

whitespade likes this.
  6. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I first started reading on Wattpad in Grade 7 and then in Grade 9, a classmate of mine introduced me to a Chinese novel on Wattpad. And ever since then, I found novel updates and read other Asian novels

7. Killgore

Killgore Barely existing

Reading List:
    Link
    Started reading Enid Blyton novels in 5. Got into habit. Read all hardcover Fantasy books till 10. Started watching Chinese dramas. Watched Untamed. Read the book. Found NU. Fell into this pit and hasn't got out till now.

joey183 likes this.
  8. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Around elementary school I was sick a lot, and my dad had a hundred or so old science fiction books in the basement so I'd read them to pass the time. I blame those novels for my perversion, too. I was an innocent boy who liked stories about dragons and magic and space travel and heroic journeys, but for some reason there were a lot of novels with bestiality, mind control, body modification, body swapping, tentacles, aphrodisiacs, bondage, blackmail, rape, NTR... :sweating_profusely: It's not like they were even smut, the science fiction authors of that time period just didn't avoid that sort of topic and used it I guess to shock readers into understanding that the setting is different from the one they know, or in some cases to create conflicts that have to be dealt with over a long period of time (several books' worth).

whitespade likes this.
  9. TottalNooB

TottalNooB Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldn't wait for the anime episodes anymore started reading to find out what happend

10. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol scifi writers be wildin back then

11. zebruism

zebruism ▪︎z̷e̷b̷r̷a̷

Reading List:
    Link
    I was hooked in books way too young that literally made me almost destroy my eyesight so went to animes and manga then Kdrama and Kpop mostly due to DBSK/TVXQ singing One Piece's OST back then and after that, the two mixed and I stumble upon rereading mangas & manhwas again and found out that there was a novel versions of it and tried to look for apps for it but none, thankfully I stumbled again when a friend told me bout this site -- twas heaven-sent!

12. Happyface143

Happyface143 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are talking about reading in general: I had grew up poor and without any internet or cell phone. So the library became my source of entertainment. When I eventually got a cell phone and internet, the habit stuck.

If you are talking about reading asian translated novels: I became a weeb after finding manga and now I am more comfortable with asian novels.

joey183 likes this.
  13. Amayah

Amayah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Started reading when I was 3-4 years old. Mostly the old Disney comics. By the time I was 6, I began to read all sorts of series and so on...

14. Happyface143

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun fact: the first manga I read was kimi kiss, me being my innocent young self didn't find anything wrong with a cute highschool girl on the cover with massive tits.

15. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here too. I grew up reading Enid Blytons, then branch out to anime and manga after anime era appear.
    That's true, before Wifi and smart phones, books was one of the cheapest source of entertainment, and I used to borrow books from my local library to binge read at home. When I got my smart phone, I begin reading electronic books like epub and pdf and that's how I got into webnovels through sites like Baka-Tsuki, and WuxiaWorld, which then lead me on to NU, and I'm here ever since.

Happyface143 likes this.
  16. Happyface143

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually back then when I did the whole reading epubs thing, I thought I was like the only one that done that. Like searching online for hours to find the epub for this one book was something that was unheard of where I grew up.

17. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually it was my fellow bookworm friend that got me into epubs and online manga. Before that, I was stupidly saving my allowance and buying physical books/manga to read.

After I had known about it, I realized that epubs are actually quite in demand. I remembered joining those forums dedicated to sharing epubs of all sorts from educational to novels, so I can view and click those download links. Some are closed now, although there's one still remains till today. I downloaded books like Harry Potter and other popular series that are quite costly to purchase.

I also used to download manga from a website which is closed now too for binge reading during those times as internet were slow and laggy.

But I have stopped all this activities after NU, because I can bookmark and read direct from translators' site at any time.

Happyface143 likes this.
  18. Starmiya

Starmiya [Modern Vampire][In Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was a Disney, tom and jerry, Barbie etc etc manic then when I was bored I started watching Legos and all then came Pokémon(*I used to watch in TV but now I started watching all),fairy tail even Beyblade, then my interest sifted in manga and I couldn't wait for new updates and while browsing I found light novels then i feel hard for it....

19. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a kid, I loved sci-fi, so I watched all the tv shows and movies. I eventually got sick of the newer stuff being awful or YA teen sparkle-vampire crap , so I turned to the anime that was on TV to get my sci-fi fix. Then I learned *gasp* they had subtitled anime on the internet that was YEARS ahead of the TV stuff! So for a few years I was overloaded on new stuff to watch, was a good time.

Then anime started to get boring. All those money saving, filler techniques like slow panning of one background, or one frame, but with a moving mouth only for the anime to either a) get canned, or b) turn into fanfic tier nonsense that had nothing to do with the main story, so I switched to manga, which showed me that there were things called WN/LNs.

And here we are now.

20. idkwhattoputxd

idkwhattoputxd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was binge-watching every good (in my opinion) anime and i was bored with the anime world. There was basically nothing enjoyable and my brother told me to just read the manga for the anime that doesnt have s2. For a while i was waiting for good anime then i gave up and read manga. Got hooked, read a bunch. Then i was reading Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg (the manga) and i was looking forward to the new chapter. I couldnt take it and tried to search the next chapter. Stumbled upon the NU page of Dragon's Egg read it until it got boring for me and got caught in the train of reincarnated into monsters, then otherworlds. Still looking for decent ones tho. (Btw check out Death's Daughter)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.