Naming Help Needed

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Faaldara, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Faaldara

Faaldara [Fire Goddess] [Apathy] [Anon2.0's] [Sweets Thief]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello Nuffians,
    It has been a long time since I have frequented NUF, but I believe you can help me with a conundrum. I am working on a story which deals with eldritch gods/entities as a major focus, and am having trouble naming the newest addition. In universe instead of having more name names, the eldritch entities are referred to by their title(s) which are usually inspired by one or more of their characteristics.
    Current/Example Names:
    • The Damned Daydreamer
    • The Sleepless One
    • The Mistress of the Wandering Wood
    The newest one is giving me trouble, so I was hoping you guys could help with suggestions. Here are the characteristics I have so far
    • their general body shape is that of a dragonfly (excess tentacles and eyes of course) and their general texture is like string (other ones in universe are oily, and fluffy/aetherial)
    • they are an energy vampire of sorts, meaning they siphon and give energy. this means at least one of their worshipping cults is bloodthirsty
    • their "bad habit"/guilty pleasure is the collection of emotionally charged items (eg an engagement ring or favorite childhood plushie) which they hoard and cling to in their cluttered personal dimension
    • their power/domain means they are of the sort of "person" that is either super energetic or completely dead
    So please, hit me with some suggestions, Nuffians! The more the better! Hopefully one will stick. Thanks in advance!

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Regret Gu. :blobpeek:

3. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, this is just capitalism.
    - Siphons energy
    - Hoards items
    - Either super energetic or completely dead is how I feel

Whenever I'm stuck for words I like to consult the names of abilities from Magic the Gathering. Hasn't failed me to this day.

Faaldara likes this.
  4. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, normally "Titles" and "Names" like this (at least for "old ones") tend to be more History or are a result of direct mortal interpretations, rather than something more mystical or so in nature.

So the first question would be, what is their theme and goal? Are they "Benevolent" (in what ways an old one can be), are they more chaotic or cruel? What do they want? and Why do they do what they do?

5. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    The Empty One

6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The bloody sinner
    The guilt player
    The hearty collector

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2020
  7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    sookie!!!

8. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Succulent Sycophant :D

9. KirbyNerd9

KirbyNerd9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Lord of the Flies

10. shadowreader

shadowreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The tentacled hoarder

11. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Extra Tentacles & Eyes on a Dragonfly Monsteristy? Why, just to rip of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu? Replace the Tentacles with additional legs & wings, and, if you haven't for any of the others, remove the creature's eyes entirely. Don't even replace them with gaping voids, just make it so that it never had anything like eyes at all. Keep the "string-like texture", but make it so that the texture allows it to split and merge it's body parts into smaller/larger versions at will, or just to extend them out, as well as allowing it to move them around constantly. You'll have a more interesting monstrous appearance instead of just another Cuthulu rip off.

As for names: "The Voracious Plunderer" is my suggestion. Voracious from it's Energy Vampirism & Habit. Plunderer purely from it's bad habit/guilty pleasure to steal, or plunder. If you want to change it, I suggest keeping the "Voracious" prefix and giving it a different title.

12. ArashiKitsune

ArashiKitsune Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Keeper of Wills I guess?

A keeper is in a sense a hoarder referencing the dragon and their ability to protect and give or take as they will.

Energy and emotionally charged items can reflect into a person's will to live. And a super energetic person and a dead person can essentially be said to be polar opposites on the will spectrum.

I wonder if I'm making any sense lol

13. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    "The Purveyor of Effulgence" or "The Purveyor of Sentiment"

They "Trade, sell, steal" energy and emotions, thus the "Purveyor"

Depending on how you reason out their "bad habit"/guilty pleasure, you could use 'Effulgence' or 'Sentiment'
    Are they are collecting emotionally charged items because they are attracted to the extremity/radiance(a.k.a Effulgence) of the emotions stored within them (like how a magpie collects shiny things), or are they after the rich emotions themselves(like as a type of gourmet food, or fine wine, since they are an energy vampire)?

14. Faaldara

Reading List:
    Link
    Chaotic, the world I am working with the eldritch beings can go anywhere from blessing you to eating you on a whim. Generally if you give them what they want (usually feeding their bad habit) and behave in a less likely to offend them way you are fine. The overall theme of the story is light hearted despite dark content/implications (like eating people)

15. Faaldara

Reading List:
    Link
    I will keep in mind having more variety in general appearance, but part of the point of the story is taking the usual eldritch, HP lovecraft descendant tropes, and having fun and being silly with these very frightening beings. Cthulhu is simply a name overused, and I want to be derivative without being faithful to that mythos. My own characters after all.

16. Faaldara

Reading List:
    Link
    The capitalism thing was not intentional. But the comparison is apt. I will keep that suggestion in mind for the future.

17. IReadWhenBoredSoWhat

IReadWhenBoredSoWhat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They sound like a collector, a bit like a raven or crow that likes shiny things and takes them without malice or real greed, but simply because they want it and think its "pretty" for lack of a better word. Chaotic Collector? Hoarder of Hearts? That One Child Who Never Cleans Their Room? They Who Dwell In Things Past? Steve? Blood Collector?

18. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, I get that. And I wasn't suggesting you use Cthulu or any of Lovecraft's Great Old Ones/other monstrosities, I just missed a "f" from "off", and thus wrote "of" in "Why, just to rip off HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu?".

What I was trying to say is that Tentacles are used for EVERY Great Old One/Lovecraftian-esque Monstrosity, and you're actively adding them onto a creature that it not only doesn't fit, but that you could easily do something more interesting with. And eyes, endless eyes are used as a go-to for "creepy", to the point of being expected in horror & horror-comedy.

Which is why I suggested going harder with the string-like texture, making it the centerpiece of the appearance, and replacing the additional Tentacles with additional legs/wings/leg & wing hybrids that would, effectively, be able to move around as if they were tentacles.

Oh, and, reading other suggestions, I'd like to update my actual recommendation to The Voracious Purveyor. It seems more fitting. It's Voracious in it's collecting habits, and a Purveyor of it's eating habits.