Discussion Looking back, what are novels that the present you will drop?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by pastlover, Oct 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pastlover

pastlover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious. Mine are
    The World Online. because of Nationalism.
    God and devil world. because of racism
    I'm not saying that they are bad, I'm just saying that the present me will drop these novels after 30-50chapters.
    What are yours and why?

2. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Many of others that won't reach the end of their translation journey because of Qidian.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think my preferences changed or changed that much :hmm:

otaku31 likes this.
  4. pastlover

pastlover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not about the preference. maybe your standard got higher or something?

5. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Eunuch is Pregnant. I don't think I have the patience to read it as I am now, same goes for Ancient China novels. I read novels based on my mood, I have to be in the mood to read it. It's why I have so many in my 'plan to read' list. I am just not in the mood for those genres yet.

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Eunuch is Pregnant is a completed novel tho...

7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, I don't think so

otaku31 likes this.
  8. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am considering dropping battle frenzy because the school tournament arc is just taking too long. Also anything with a dumb and/or horny protagonist who can't use reason or suspect others. Racism and nationalism is also an instant drop from me. I dropped Seized by the System because I disliked the two dogs in that story. I generally will drop anything which finds faceslapping to be funny and that only uses one joke repeatedly. A strong focus on family life or romance in my action novel is annoying enough too cause me to drop it. Slow updates and short chapters caused me to drop so many stories. There was a story on royalroadl that kept on breaking the 4th wall later on in the story so I dropped that. I recently dropped Cultural Invasion in Another World because it moved focus to games I don't play or know anything about and just generally seemed less interesting after the initial hype wore off. I also dropped Breakers,The Novel's Extra, and other Korean novels because I can't bear the thought of them ending only after a few hundred chapters particularly when I am close to the end.

pastlover and novaes like this.
  9. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know. This topic isn't about novels ongoing, it's about novels that you have read which you wouldn't now. I have finished Eunuch before but I wouldn't read it now.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  10. Oddmoonlight

Oddmoonlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially when you think back when they first started the English site they said there would be no paywall and such ever so people could just read... Sure.....

11. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to remember in the gold ole times, those heavenly times where translations were rampant, and you would be able to see the lighthouse at the end of a novel's translation, its journey on being complete. Qidian is like a deep dark fog, the path is hard to walk in, and within the fog are things that will make it so you can't continue. It harkens me to know and feel like the past or at least a part of it was better than it is now.

12. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Rebirth: The New Game of Life - Too many Plotholes, Has something of a R-18 Novel without R-18 Scenes, WAY too less Action
    God and Devil world - Start was still ok, but later only focused on the MC and MC Alone.
    Achievement junkie - A Novel on Webnovel, without tragedy Tag, but much tragedy.....

pastlover likes this.
  13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My tastes and standards haven't changed in the last few years so the books that I would have dropped in hindsight are primarily ones that start off strong but ended up being disappointing. Books I'd put in this category are ones like "Transmigrator Meets Reincarnator" and "Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan". A special shout out for "the Legend of Chu Qiao" as that book had a lot of potential and I kept on waiting for it to turn that last corner only to be completely let down by its lack of guts.

There are books that I felt had weak endings but are exceptions to this list like "Rebirth of the Malicious Empress" because they at least managed to have some good material near the end. Also, no Japanese web novels would qualify even though I drop the vast majority of them because I don't expect them to be particularly good in the first place.

pastlover likes this.
  14. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically everything, the novelty of cultivation just won't work on me anymore. The dialogues is more important to me now, and the quality of the dialogues way back during the Xianxia era is horrible.

15. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Every chinese novel I've ever completed. Without exception they had endings that made them worse, so if I were to read them now I'd know ahead of time just to read until they start repeating themselves, and then mentally go "and then they realized they were stuck in an eternal plot loop and went off to cultivate peacefully with their husband/wife instead".

pastlover likes this.
  16. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Gave me triggering wattpad days. My standards were pure trash back then.

17. Reio

Reio 【Random】

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly read romance tho, I dropped most Chinese novels especially ancient. Ugh never mention reverse harem, I can't stomach more than two love interest and the plot should not center around which of them MC will choose and what's more annoying them being brothers or friends.
    I love yoo, my cold blooded king(ik webtoon but you get my point) abandoned empress, lady baby, daughter of the emperor (too many MLs).
    I refuse to be canon fodder (many MLs and friends).
    A false confession( a plot centered about two hot guys).
    Taking the nation husband home ( I regret even finding this). My first ever Chinese novels.
    Transmigrater meets reincarnater (Mary sue and Gary sue saying goodbye to common sense) it was fun at first though.
    Return of the female knight (a Mary sue novel with no strong points just a strongFL).

18. omniscient reader

omniscient reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Drop all (not licensed) Korean novels because the translators are going to get hit by DMCA eventually, and all the chapters will go up in smoke :blob_teary:

19. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Against the god, Martial world

There are many others but these two got me pretty hyped specially martial world for a person like me who doesn't like harem at all. Now looking back if i have read other high quality novels i would have not got past chapter 20.

I mean i was a teenager back then around 5 years ago and well kind of hotblooded so i liked those hot blooded Mc. I never even realized they were so hot blooded irrational, psychopathic and complete idiots. Plot was copy and paste of same thing repeated so many times with different names. I mean i dont regret it but its like when you reminiscent how foolish you were back then.
    The world online i tried recently around year ago and i am huge fan of kingdom building novels but i didnt got past chapter 70 of that of novel.

Novel that i still highly think of to this day even though i read it as my first CN novel is Warlock of the magus world, All the mc's decision makes sense to me, the man is a practical man and really old fuck so i kinda get where he is comming from but i dont agree with him sleeping with a 13 year old girl. Thats the only point i dont like about it even though Mc just went with the flow and was just one night stand.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  20. shadow1716

shadow1716 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that I started reading thats now on webnovels (qidian) or flyinglines. I have no problem paying for novels but it has to responsible. When its 100-500 times more expensive then reading it in the native language I personally will never entertain it. Honestly, if they did like a one time payment for a 'pass' to read the novel I'd consider it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.