Spoiler A Stepmother's Märchen

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by twistingfeelings, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Themas

Themas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading through the discussions here has finally made me realize why I've found this story to be so satisfying from the very beginning. This story really brings a depth to the reincarnation/timeskip back/foreknowledge trope as well as a sense of tragedy that lingers because you can really FEEL the difference between past Shuli versus current Shuli. Of course, she has knowledge from having lived through all of this already, but the biggest changes come about because of her own gained abilities, matured pose, and experience of how to control herself, how to react, and frankly how to care for children. Current Shuli is so calm, put together, and well...an ADULT. Which in turn emphasizes just how much the 1st go around was very much "you made a middle schooler into a mom of 4, gave them a shitton of responsibilities, and threw them into a shark tank to fend for herself".

A reincarnation back in time makes tragic sense here because current Shuli is now the experienced, mature, weathered adult that she (logically and practically) SHOULD have been in the first place when marrying into this family. I could write a whole essay about the implied and stated mental stress that came from her trying her best the 1st time around versus how those same causes just simply wouldn't affect her now, but I digress. There's just a lot of subtleties in the use of the trope in this story, and I love it. It made me realize just how much other stories with the same trope REALLY lean on that foreknowledge or that the MC is a different person altogether (thanks to a reincarnation of a Japanese or Korean person) to move the story along. Not as much about how the characters would have really matured as individuals who are mentally about 30 accumulated years old at the very least. Cool story. X3

Elren, Bonzai, Shion Lee and 18 others like this.
  2. Eiidachan

Eiidachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this question was already asked before, but I forgot where, how is Shuli's relationahip with the current Ohara? In her previous life, Ohara obviously hated her, but what about this life? And how in the present time Ohara and Elias' relationship grows?

3. Ariawolfgar

Ariawolfgar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I’ve read all the spoilers and thanks a lot to @mademnoiselle @Nanabruyns @Dont_Cheat and specially to @Vivixoxo!!!!!! That was a good doze of spoiler. I’m super happy!!

So I wanted to ask, if it’s not such a bother, cuz I was a bit confused with one of the posts. So Elias knocked up Ohara in both timelines cuz Jeremy was against the marriage both times? If you could explain this I bit more I would appreciate it!!!!
    Oh and also you guys said that after the civil war after Theo mas exiled the second prince was crowned emperor. What happened the previous emperor? Did he die in the war or what? Thanks a lot in advance!

Bonzai likes this.
  4. eatnyc

eatnyc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This has to be the most artistic webtoon I have ever seen. And I love how some subplots aren't even given words but expressed solely through the art like that panel showing the crown prince "stealing" Nora's parents.

• Shuri marries Nora and has a son named Michael and a daughter named Leah
    • Jeremy marries Diane, a relative of the Nurembergs who we've yet to meet, quite late
    • Elias marries O'hara and has a daughter named Annabella
    • Rachel marries Prince Ali Pasha, whose sister Shuri befriends while Christmas shopping
    • Leon ...

5. Pansy25

Pansy25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the spoiler but what happened to Leon?

6. eatnyc

eatnyc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers! I purchased the novel on Ridibooks.

I lacked the patience to MTL properly, so the below spoilers aren't full translations. Portions that break dialogues and are omitted are indicated by asterisks.

Last half of Chapter 4

• Shuri: "Jeremy, the truth is, I had a strange dream before your father's funeral. * * * I'm not sure, maybe it was a dream about our future. In the dream, just like now, I became the widow marquise, and you became a knight like you've always wanted. All of you grew up to be someone who would be without shame wherever you were. I was proud, I was so proud, but I mistakenly thought that you all would recognize my feelings even if I didn't express anything. I didn't think about how you would react to or how you would be hurt over what others said about me. * * * In the end, you didn't want me at your wedding and I, hurt on my own way, made up my mind to run away. It was that kind of a dream."
    • Jeremy: "Shuri, a dream is just a dream. Whatever you say or don't say to me, there's no way those things would happen."
    • Shuri: "Right, a dream is just a dream. It's just . . . I wanted to tell you that when you all treated me completely different from the dream and opened your hearts to me, I was truly happy. I was truly happy about having a second chance in life. * * * So, Jeremy, don't worry about your hand. I will make sure that you become the smug knight that you were in my dream."
    • [Shuri POV] Jeremy didn't move. He didn't even exhale. Even as I left, he continued to stare at the ground for a long time.

• Jeremy pleads not guilty! "All I did was defend my mother's honor."
    • The court questions this since according to testimony, the crown prince and Shuri were only looking at books while conversing. "How is that sullying your mother's honor?"
    • Jeremy: "While I was searching for Shuri, I ran into a cardinal. According to him, the crown prince dragged her into a private area to harass her, and when I reached the library, Shuri was on the ground under the crown prince. How could I not misunderstand?"
    • He can't identify the cardinal because the cardinal had a hood on, and Shuri wonders whether it was Cardinal Richelieu and what motives he would have for causing this.
    • Empress: "The defendant truly is shameless, making up such nonsense. No matter how young he is, the law is the law. It's clear how [badly] the marquise educated her children."
    • Shuri submits as witness a "White Priestess," and the court, puzzled, questions whether she intends to prove her chastity or something.
    • Shuri: "Yes, Your Majesty. The deceased Marquis Johannes de Neuvanstein and I have never slept together during our 800-day marriage. Your Majesty just now permitted summoning witnesses and submitting additional evidence, so I will immediately annul the marriage according to the evidence that the priestess will now show."
    • Lucretia gets mad at this and takes the fact that the two did not sleep together as an insult to her brother Johannes, saying how "If nothing else, Johannes had libido greater than others."
    • Shuri: "Did you have a hobby of snooping around your brother's bedroom, Lady Sebastian [Lucretia]? How would you know anything of my husband's libido?"
    • Everybody laughs.
    • Lucretia: "Regardless, does it make any sense that while living with a woman like that he didn't sleep with her at all?!"
    • Shuri: Girl, thanks for the compliments.
    • Shuri forges forward introducing the witness and demand annulment of the marriage so that Jeremy, as head of the Neuvansteins, can request a duel of judgment. (I love how she assumes he'll win.) She has an internal monologue here about her decision to abandon the marquise title after the court questions whether this is something the deceased Johannes would have wanted. As she re-solidifies her decision—
    • "Understood. Everyone, the circus is over." The empress has spoken!
    • "Emperor." / "Now what?" / "I request the trial's dismissal."
    • Empress: "Lady Neuvanstein, it seems the annulment you requested is unneeded, as it looks like you are already in your appropriate position."

• Jeremy: "If you want to date Theo, date him. * * * The crown prince, or whoever, if there is someone who likes you and if you like him, too, then date the person. I won't stop you even if you remarry. * * * There's no reason for you to suffer alone like in that dream of yours for the children of strangers. * * * Don't waste your precious life on the likes of us like you did in your dream. Think of the dream as forewarning and live the way you want. Even if you turn away from us, we won't die, and we won't blame you. * * * Are you listening? Don't look back, don't hesitate, don't stop midway and just only think about yourself!"
    • [Shuri POV] I couldn't breathe. And as I stood frozen, Jeremy with his shallow breaths stared at me with an expression I couldn't figure out. It felt as if the green waves in his eyes flooded into mine. With effort, I shut my blurring eyes and reached with one hand to wipe away the fallen tears from the his cheek.
    • Shuri: "Do you really wish me to that? As for me, I have so much that I haven't been able to do for you. I haven't been able to do any of the things I've wanted to do for all of you, to do with all of you."
    • Jeremy: "Shuri..."
    • Shuri: "No matter how many times I struggle in dreams, no matter how many times I live this life, I'll remain with you just as I have done. That's the life I wish for, because that's the only way I get to live as your mom."

End of Chapter 4

I'll try to post more complete translations from now on, but the finalized novel isn't divided into short, episodic chapters, so unless I update once in a blue moon, I won't be able to post chapter by chapter. I'll instead increase the update frequency at the expense of how much the story progresses each update.

E: Turning back the clock a bit here and returning to Volume 1, the novel has separate chapters for the previous timeline that usually follow the corresponding events from the present timeline, and I previously skipped over the first first-timeline chapter to catch up to the webtoon. Instead of moving onto Chapter 5, I'll start with that instead!

And I’m sorry for the constant changes, but I’ll be summarizing already spoiled stuff, be it from the webtoon or from this thread, rather than fully translating them unless they are fluff moments, of course.
    :blobnobully:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  7. Sibyl

Sibyl New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I was planning to translate the novel. Does anyone have any idea if there is any place i can get free raws from??

Deleted member 275722 likes this.
  8. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I feel bad to second prince and hope Shuri can adopt him too.

licilou, Eelillya, AoiYuni and 3 others like this.
  9. eatnyc

eatnyc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We are briefly returning to Volume 1 for the first-timeline chapter, then we'll start Chapter 5. (It’s probably more logical to go through the current timeline and then return to the first timeline, but I wanted to read them in order the author intended.)

Skips are indicated with asterisks, and summaries are in brackets.

“Are you out of your mind? You must be! What were you thinking?”

“No, really, well, look, I had a good reason!”

“What possible reason could you have to push the prince! If anything had gone wrong, your right hand would have been cut off!”

“It wasn’t cut off, so what’s the big deal? It’s not your hand, so why do you even care?”

“What?!”

The sounds coming from upstairs were so loud that he could hear it even from the entrance to the backyard where he was standing. Jeremy stood and listened for a while, then glanced at the standing knights who had heavy, sunken expressions, and slowly walked outside.

Rachel was crouching alone in rain. He couldn’t tell whether it was rain or tears that wet her small cheeks, but Jeremy guessed they were tears. When he approached, she raised her head. She looked like a chick that fell in a puddle of water.

“Did you decide to catch a cold or something?”

“…sob.”

“Why are you like this when it was Elias who caused all this trouble? Did you also hit the prince?”

Rachel, sobbing, hiccuped and did not respond. Rather than say things like ‘Let’s go in now, or you’ll really catch a cold,’ Jeremy just stood there staring at his sister and wiped off the rain that fell on his face.

“…hic. Brother.”

“What?”

“You are the strongest knight in the entire empire, right, even stronger than the prince and the crown prince?"

“Is that even a question? You really do underestimate me.”

Ignoring his annoyance, Rachel raised her wide eyes. It was a rare look from her, earnest and somewhat desperate.

“Then, then, brother—”

“…”

“From now on, if anyone tries to do anything bad to fake mom, you have to get rid of them.”

Rain fell into his eyes, so Jeremy had to close his eyes for a moment. When he opened them again, it suddenly flashed for a brief moment, and it seemed like the entire world would light up, but then a thunder roared. Everything around them turned dark again.

“I will.”

“You have to get rid of them! Promise. A knight’s vow.”

“Okay. I do so vow.”

On that rainy day, Jeremy was seventeen; Rachel, thirteen. And their stepmother was only nineteen.

“How’d it go?”

“Why don’t you go check for yourself?”

“Ah, that, well…”

“She fell asleep after exhausting herself from crying. Are you satisfied?”

The young man with his red hair tied, nodded and swallowed a moan at the chief maid’s prickly words. It wasn’t unexpected, but he couldn’t figure out how to express his embarrassment and that he was just as taken aback by the events as the person concerned.

Princess O’hara von Heinrich’s visit earlier was the cause of all this. When Shuri, with a soulless expression, questioned them after O’hara left, Elias was just confused, so as usual, he replied in his usual rough and blunt manner. Right, that probably was the problem.

He didn’t know the answer to her question, and he felt like teasing her a bit, so he joked around. He didn’t think she would take it so seriously.

“Even I know I can be foolish sometimes…”

Sitting down next to Elias, who was mumbling to himself on the ground with his head in his hands, Leon had an expression even more serious than Elias’s.

“Brother, … do you think Jeremy really asked fake mom not to attend his wedding?”

Elias thought for a minute that it was funny how even now, the twins kept calling her “fake mom,” but he realized he had nothing to be proud of either.

“How the hell should I know! I swear, I’m getting sick…”

“I don’t think Jeremy did. Even if he’s a fool like Elias, he’s not that dumb, right? Even if he were, he isn’t someone who would say something like that through his fiancée.”

It was Rachel. The young Neuvanstein, who turned seventeen last spring, looked at her two brothers while, annoyed, kept tossing her golden curls over one shoulder.

“Aren’t your words too harsh?”

“Speaking of harsh words, even though you thought you were joking, what you said to Shuri wasn’t funny at all.”

As if he’d been waiting for Elias to say those words, Leon, who had been silent until now, suddenly attacked, and as if kicked, a groan escaped Elias’s lips.

[The three decide to confront Jeremy, and Elias volunteers to test the waters first.]

“You’re finally getting married tomorrow, brother. You finally made up your mind after dragging your feet for four years, huh?”

“…”

In the silence that followed where he didn’t know what to say, Elias barely suppressed his urge to grab and shake his brother. He thought, ‘It’ll get noisy so let’s be considerate. Right, it’s not that he’s afraid of Jeremy, at all…’

“Well, it’s not that I don’t get your feelings at all.”

“…”

“Sometimes, I wonder what would have happened if she had just left.”

“Why are you uselessly thinking about things that haven’t happened?”

“You don’t think about it at all?”

“A long time ago, sure, whenever I needed to control my anger.”

“I didn’t know you were a person with that kind of control.”

Normally, something would have flown at him by now, but to Elias’s surprise, Jeremy didn’t show much reaction. At this, Elias, swallowing a smile, sat down and crossed his legs as he leaned back.

“Remember when we first met her? Everything turned upside down. Relatives kept whispering that we’d starve if she ever had a child, father stuck to her side everyday, but it didn’t turn out to be a big deal at all. I don’t even remember what we were so nervous about.”

“We were just young, idiot.”

“…Right, we really were.”

‘Her too,’ Elias mumbled and followed his brother’s gaze out the window. It was snowing suddenly. The dome roofs of the imperial palace shrouded and glistening in white looked like something from a book.

It was just a little too late to realize that she was a child like them, too. Things were changing too fast for them, the responsibilities on her shoulders were too heavy, and somewhere along the way, an impenetrable barrier stood between them and her.

“It’s not that I don’t get why you kept delaying.”

As his brother kept chattering away, Jeremy bitterly squeezed his eyes shut. Elias would certainly understand him. Jeremy wasn’t sure if Shuri did.

If someone were to ask what Shuri meant to him, he wouldn’t know how to respond. How would he answer those questions? To call her sister, it was a bit complicated, but it was even more complicated to call her mother.

Seven years. Nine, if they counted the years before his father died. For nearly ten years, they grew up with her and spent half their lives with her, with a girl who was their guardian in title, with a girl who was no more than two years older than the eldest son.
    It was never easy, and at times, he even felt resentful. He was there, the definite successor, yet why did she try to handle everything alone, even as she was constantly insulted and cursed by others?

Of course, he knew that he and his siblings were responsible, too. They were the ones who first slapped away the hand of the smiling girl who had reached out to them. They were the ones who shouted at her that she was not, nor would ever be, their mother and harassed her with terrible pranks. If an excuse could be made at all, it would be that they were all too hurt.

Would it be contradictory that, after their father passed, they were scared that she would abandon them? Is the human mind so simple and easy to understand?

When he was younger and didn’t understand the irony of it all, he sometimes had strange thoughts whenever he saw the girl who lived under the same roof, whom he could have reached had he only made the effort. Sometimes he mocked himself for not being above physical attraction, and at times he desperately wished she weren’t so annoyingly pretty.

Then, from some point on, whenever others called her a “stepmother,” it bothered him. Why did these outsiders who knew nothing about them keep bickering “stepmother this,” “stepmother that”?

The complex emotions that were too difficult to express became more and more entangled, and the passing years could not untangle the complicated threads. Now, he couldn’t define what she meant to him. The only thing for certain was that he couldn’t ever imagine her leaving them, nor could he stand anyone insulting her.

That was probably the same with Elias. Why else would he have pushed the second prince at the time?

All the things that she had done for them over the past seven years. Did she really think they didn’t know anything? Did she really think they wouldn’t try to understand? And when he suffered from measles and struggled in agony for countless nights, did she know how the tears she shed for him by his bedside crushed his heart?

“But it was going to be like this, anyway, so why did you delay this? You should’ve just—”

“Do you even think?”

“Who knows? The twins took all the brains.”

“If I married right then, I would’ve done exactly what everyone else wanted. I couldn’t stand to see them all smug and happy.”

Elias’s mouth gaped open at Jeremy’s answer. Elias thought about all those times he was criticized for lacking basic sense and manners.

“You’re saying all this was because you couldn’t stand doing what others wanted you to? What is this? What are you even doing?”

“Do you want to be hit? You know I hate uselessly playing by what others think and politics. If I had married at seventeen, then, what? What would have happened to Shuri?”

“Uh…”

“Did you think just because she was Shuri, she knew everything? Are you pretending that you didn’t know how many grinded their teeth at her, or did you really not know? Do you think it is a fairytale happy ever after once you succeed the title? Don’t you know that it’s then that everything actually starts?”

“No, I…”

“Of course, I can’t afford to delay any further. The more I delay, the more difficult it probably is for her. I just… Damn it, I just wanted to wait until I had the ability to protect her from everything before I succeeded the title.”

Clicking his tongue, Jeremy took off his gloves and, placing his sword on his knees, started to clean the handle. It was a habit that came out whenever his mind became complicated.

“Anyway, I don’t want to marry but being a marquise doesn’t suit her personality, and she wants to take a break! Shouldn’t I at least follow what she wishes?”

“…But brother.”

“Now what?”

“Then why did you tell her not to come to the wedding?”

Silence fell as the two brothers stared at each other. Jeremy stared at Elias for a long time with a terrifying gaze, as if it was the most pathetic question he’s ever heard.

“What kind of bullshit are you talking about?”

It was at that moment that the door of the office, which was previously firmly closed, burst open without warning. And, of course, the only people who could ever do this were the twins. The twins, who seemed to have been eavesdropping from outside, entered with some momentum and faced Jeremy.

“Oh, then, are you saying that you never told fake mom that?”

“Explain logically what happened, then. Did your fiancée make some mistake, or are you pretending you don’t know?”

“… Hey, what the hell is everyone talking about right now? Who told whom not to come to the wedding?”

Watching the utterly stunned Jeremy, Elias suddenly felt his heart drop. ‘God damn it! I knew that wasn’t the case! What should they do now?’

“She said your fiancée told her that you didn’t want her at your wedding. Are you saying that’s untrue?”

At Leon’s probing tone, which he perhaps adopted from his recent obsession with mystery novels, silence once again fell. While Elias stood frozen with an indescribable expression, Jeremy blinked several times then slowly started to get up. And…

“What...She did what?!”

“No, Jeremy, wait. Wait!”

It was Rachel, hanging onto Jeremy’s arms, who managed to stop him from running off with his sword in hand.

“Calm down! Let’s discuss how this happened first! It’s your fiancée!”

“I don’t know what you’re worried about. I wouldn’t hurt a woman. It’s against the knight’s code of chivalry…”

“If you could look at yourself right now, you’d think you were off to kill someone with your own hands, too! Cool your head and sit down!”

Rachel spoke more and more like Shuri these days, and fortunately it worked. Elias and Leon exchanged relieved looks while Jeremy took a long deep breath and sat back down.

“So, brother, you mean you didn’t do anything like tell her not to come to your wedding?”

“Does that even make sense? Who do you think I’m getting married for in the first place?”

“Then, do you have any idea why your fiancée would say such nonsense?”

“No! This makes no sense!”

Jeremy responded with a sudden outburst and, sighing, pressed on his temples.

Rachel spat, “I knew this would happen one day. That’s why I said I didn’t like your fiancée!”

“Uh, Rachel, I don’t think this is the time to be saying that…”

“What do you know, Elias? You made the situation worse!”

“What did he do?”

When Jeremy, now calmer than before, asked the question, Elias turned to Rachel and desperately shook his head, but Rachel ignored him and confessed his sins for him.

“Fake mom asked us why you didn’t want her at your wedding and asked if we could say something to you, but Elias told her that it’d just be funnier if she showed up to the wedding anyway and embarrassed you when you didn’t want her there. And then fake mom ran off crying—”

“Elias!”

“Oi, why are you yelling only at me?! I was so taken aback that I didn’t know what to say!”

After the ruckus passed in the same manner for a while, the four Neuvanstein siblings sat side-by-side with serious expressions. The first to break the silence was Leon, the smartest of the four. The youth, who resembled Jeremy when Jeremy was seventeen but with a more academic air, pushed his glasses to the bridge of his nose and resumed his matter-of-fact tone.

“Brother, just don’t get married. I think that’d be the best.”

“Yes, Jeremy. Leave that woman!”

Unlike Leon and Rachel, who echoed each other as if someone doubted that they were twins, Elias responded more realistically.

“If the elder brother cancels the wedding without any reason like, say, a scandal on the bride’s side, then Princess O’hara von Heinrich won’t face any consequences from this. It’ll end badly, for sure, but it’ll end badly for Shuri, not for O’hara or Jeremy.”

“Then, Elias, are you telling Jeremy to just marry that kind of a woman?”

“Isn’t it enough to realize early what kind of a person she is? It’s not like he was marrying her because he loved her or anything. I mean, how many nobles marry for love? Damn it, I don’t know what the hell that damn woman was thinking, but whether it’s killing, saving, or divorcing, do it after you marry her first. If you mean all that you said before about protecting Shuri!”

Elias's already raised voice kept rising as he neared the end of what he wanted to say, and the twins, who were speechless at his anger, and Jeremy, who was expressionless, stared at him for a moment.

“Are you mad at me right now?”

“…No, I’m mad at her.”

“Well, your words make sense. If I suddenly ask to annul the engagement, Shuri will likely have to deal with the aftermath. It’s obvious, just think about what all those hyenas would say about her.”

“Then, Jeremy, will you just marry like this?”

At Rachel’s cautious question, Jeremy sat with a complicated expression. Then, Leon opened his mouth again.

“I have an idea.”

[Leon suggests not saying anything for now and instead “luring” Shuri to the wedding on the day of, to pretend it was a planned, surprise event all along. He thinks this will patch over the hurtful things that were already said and at the same time convey to O’hara von Heinrich their disapproval of her presumptions.]

In that way, they settled on a plan, and they decided to have Rachel be the one to bring Shuri to the wedding. But what they planned never came to pass.
    It was at the Wittelsbach Cathedral that the wedding of the century, which had been the topic of noble society for the past several months, was taking place. The number of people who gathered at the imposing cathedral built in the early days of the empire could not be counted.

It was the wedding of the Princess O’hara von Heinrich, renowned for being an unparalleled beauty at the capital, and the successor of the soon-to-be Marquis von Neuvanstein, who was the object of envy. It was a grandiose event that even the two princes attended.

“I don’t see Lady Neuvanstein.”

“I don’t either. Perhaps…”

“No way, do you think…?”

Elias anxiously checked the time, while quietly wishing that everyone would just shut up. Only a few minutes were left before the ceremony started. ‘What was taking Rachel so long? The house wasn’t even that far!’

“She’s not here yet?”

“No, not yet.”

Jeremy had an unusually impatient look, and Leon, sighing, muttered that he knew he should have gone with Rachel.

“At this rate, she’s going to come in the middle of the ceremony or even when the reception starts.”

“Well, then, we can’t help it, but I wish everyone would just shut up about it.”

In the end, even when the ceremony started, Rachel and Shuri were nowhere to be seen.

Princess O’hara von Heinrich, dressed in a dazzling white dress that looked made from the finest of spider webs, was beautiful enough to make the male guests sigh with regret, but Jeremy was still distracted with thoughts about the two people who showed no signs of appearing.

Perhaps it was just his opinion, but Shuri didn’t need a beautiful wedding dress to get the attention of people like this. She didn’t even need to smile. Even frowning, she was able to enchant all the men around her… but she probably didn’t know that.

This was one of Jeremy’s strengths that was also his greatest weakness. Whenever he fell into a thought, he was lost in it and could not care less what happened around him. He really wasn’t paying any attention to the fact that this moment was, in every way, the most important moment of his life and that it was the moment when he would at last become Marquis von Neuvanstein.

Maybe she felt the coldness in his expressionless eyes, but O’hara, standing in front of the altar with a bright smile, squeezed Jeremy’s hands in hers. Jeremy glanced at her and gave her a steely smile. He did it without much thought, but the priest officiant flinched at the cold the expression appeared to him before starting.

“Jeremy von Neuvanstein, do you take O’hara von Heinrich as your wife before God—”

Thud!

The door of the cathedral crashed open, and the voice of the priest who had been officiating was suddenly cut off. Jeremy turned back. Elias and Leon, who had been sitting nervously in the pews, jumped up and looked back at once. ‘Finally!’

“B-brother!”

At first, Jeremy thought Rachel’s frantic expression was due to her excitement. Her pale, tired face and her vivid emerald eyes were filled with urgency. But when he saw Duke Nuremberg standing next to her in his secret police Stripe uniform, he instinctively knew that something was terribly, horribly wrong.

“Brother!”

Rachel cried, and Elias and Leon ran to her, as her trembling body fell to the ground. Jeremy couldn’t hear what they were saying. The crowd was in a sudden uproar, and the duke, who pushed past the crowd, stretched out his hand toward Jeremy with an ice-cold expression. Jeremy immediately recognized the peridot brooch that sat in stark contrast against the duke’s crude, black gloves. He couldn’t not recognize it. It was something he had bought for her during the Founding Day memorial four years ago. For her, for Shuri, for their mother.

The “four years” is a detail that I thought may be lost because of how I divided the chapter, so I wanted to highlight it here. Four years is how long Jeremy’s been delaying his marriage and succession, i.e., he could have married and become the Marquis and thereby supplant Shuri four years ago. Four years ago is also the opening scene with Jeremy and Rachel in the rain in Part 1.1.

“Brother!”

He slowly raised his head without looking at the shaded eyes in front of him. His sister and younger brothers were on the floor crying. In his mind, a thirteen-year-old Rachel, who was sitting alone in the rain in their backyard, was crying and shouting at him.

From now on, if anyone tries to do anything bad to fake mom, you have to get rid of them.’

Jeremy closed his eyes tightly. He tried to answer, but there was no sound. He couldn’t even breathe.

I will.’

‘You have to get rid of them! Promise. A knight’s vow.’

‘Okay. I do so vow.’

—End of The Other Story: A Fairytale's Ending, Part 1.

E: I ended up translating the rest of the chapter instead of finishing an essay, so Chapter 5 will be a bit delayed.

E: I added hyperlinks to the Table of Contents, including for the chapters that were previously translated by @Vivixoxo and @ysnap on NU, which I won't re-translate. I'll update and include the table each time I post.

Volume 1
    Prologue: The Stepmother [Link] [by ysnap]
    Chapter 1: Restarting is Nonsense!
    Chapter 2: Winter's Dream, Part 1

The Other Story: A Fairytale's Ending, Part 1 [Link]
    Chapter 3: Winter's Dream, Part 2
    Chapter 4: Ending [Link]

Volume 2
    Chapter 5: The First Family Trip
    The Other Story: The Prince and the Priest
    Chapter 6: That Summer, Part 1

The Other Story: A Fairytale's Ending, Part 2 [Link] [by Vivixoxo]
    Chapter 7: That Summer, Part 2

Volume 3
    Chapter 8: The Lie for Your Sake
    Chapter 9: The Original Sin
    Chapter 10: The Winds of Change

Volume 4
    Chapter 11: The Flash Point
    Chapter 12: The Opening
    Chapter 13: The Sunlight and the Moonlight
    Chapter 14: The Setting Sun, the Rising Sun
    Chapter 15: The Harvest
    Chapter 16: Finale
    Epilogue

Volume 5
    Side Story 1: The Honeymoon [Link] [by Vivixoxo]
    Side Story 2: Once Upon a Time
    Side Story 3: Christmas Crisis
    Side Story 4: Father's Day Special
    Side Story 5: A Spring Day Disturbance

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    chintu21, M30WWWW, Daphne03 and 74 others like this.
  10. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank youuu...
    So in both timeline, those kids actually loves Shuri dearly. But in the first timeline, they are just too awkward to show it.

Xi-hime, Faye30, Amanda16 and 5 others like this.
  11. Zayden

Zayden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Sibyl

Sibyl New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys,
    I tried translating a chapter of this novel to the best of my abilities. Would love to hear your opinions about the quality. This will help me greatly in improving. Plus i plan to catch up with manhwa as soon as possible.

13. Krystal0020

Krystal0020 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where r u posting?

14. Sibyl

Sibyl New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's there on novel updates, just search the novel name 'A Stepmother's Marchen'.
    I haven't sent 5 messages on Novel Updates forum yet, so i can't send the link. Sorry about that.

15. eatnyc

eatnyc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel finally gets its own NU series page! :aww::aww::aww:
    I'll stop my translations here, then, as I'm not 'bout that redundant work lol.

We are even shown this in the webtoon in the first chapter with the fairy tale-esque illustrations. The children try to apologize by sending a note on a paper airplane (showing they are still children in their attempts to apologize), but it bounces off Shuri.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    rock.doll likes this.
  16. Krystal0020

Reading List:
    Link
    Please continue ❤️

Bonzai likes this.
  17. Krystal0020

Reading List:
    Link
    Please continue translating

Yuri1993 likes this.
  18. nj2002

nj2002 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm actually curios what would happen to the story if marquess Johannes didn't marry Shuli and just made him his ward???

19. 707notfound

707notfound New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder why the prince have feelings for MC?Just because she looks like his mother or he appreciates her kindness and gentle?

20. sumaiyah97

sumaiyah97 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    which chapters are currently in the manhwa??