Spoiler Lord of Mysteries' MC

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by yamibae, Aug 15, 2019.

1. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For some reason, I find Klein quite annoying to read about. I'm not entirely sure which part of him irks me but I think it's a combination of his inability to make solid decisions without relying on his divinations and cheat(the fog) as well as his vague basic goal of trying to return "home". For one, his past on Earth is never expanded upon further than him being a keyboard warrior and having parents, which is hardly any news in the 21st century. Then he also has this sort of symptom where nothing in the world interests him aside from that despite never so much as even reminiscing about his parents throughout the novel up to v5, for gods sake if they're that important to him personally he should remember certain teachings or recall certain incidents but nope nada. Even the old Captain gets more time in his memories than his most important goal ...

Aside from that, there's also an element of detesting how he handles his other identity as a mysterious ruler. This fake identity of being a powerful person whilst in reality being an ant is not too bad but it's irksome to me that there's always some sort of coincidence that makes it so his image as a powerful ruler is solidified. His current image which almost entirely relied on a series of coincidences you'd think 0-08 would've been proud.
    It's actually funny to me but Klein actually seemingly trusts weird powerful existences more than his fellow Tarot club members, for example, Azik and Will Ascetin despite hardly knowing about both of them.

Next, the lone wolf thing hypocrisy gets real old. He'll remind himself to not get involved with powerful existences like angels and gods despite in his own words saying he needs more powerful "friends". I mention friends sarcastically because to me so far Klein has shown 0 indications of having any real friends, the author tried to push Leonard in this direction but they still seem more like ex-colleagues than genuine friends.

It's weird because usually I like realistic MC's that show cowardice when necessary but there's just something off about the way Klein approaches situations that seem extremely hypocritical and counter-intuitive. The way he wanted to steal the Antigonus Family's notebook from the Evernight Church despite all the good they've done for him as well as his own internal contradictions about doing it further annoyed me because it just shows an MC that's weak in mind, morals and spirit, it's almost a miracle he's even a demigod with how weak he is in that regard.

He's definitely not your typical xianxia protagonist but he's far from likeable either in my opinion. I wonder if any of you feel the same or can see any good points about him that I can't seem to see.

Fulminata and Wujigege like this.
  2. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Klein found the current World he resides in too dangerous, it is one of the reasons why he wants to go back, and wanting to see his Parents, Best Friend, Friends, and Close Friend are the other reasons.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How can you say that klein is hardly know azik ?
    The two of them have been helping each other since vol 1 and klein was his student. Azik saved klein's ass more than once and klein helped him to restore his memories

Without azik, klein would be dead due to meteor shower at the end of vol 2

I agree with you about this

Man, this part is actually no different from overlord where ainz's subordiates misunderstood him as a great mastermind. I assume you don't read overlord from this statement

This is supposed to be a comedy. It's like when klein complained about captain who filled the application by himself, approving it by himself and collecting it by himself when klein literally always prays to himself and grants his own prayers.

And I agree with your statement regarding leonard

I completely disagree with you.
    How could you say that MC is weak in morals when he helped a poor old woman, bought her food and let her enjoy her last time in warmth ?

How could you say that mc is weak in morals when he invested 10k pounds for the poor ?

How could you say that mc is weak in morals when he ordered poseidon worshippers not to do hideous act and adultery ?

Yes MC is weak in mind and spirit. But this is what makes him feel so human; he hesitates, he complains, and he makes mistake. He is not perfect as no human is perfect. He is full of flaws. This is why most readers like him and made him to be the most favourite character on Qidian China in 2018

If you want to read novel with flawless and perfect MC, go read shen yin wang zhuo or douluo dalu

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I read only half way through your post and I agree. Klein has most of my pet peeves about novels all rolled up into one.
    Sadly, it is one of the few novels that isnt long winded and spending 90% of the chapter with people saying how smart and great the protagonist is.
    Sometimes, it is the author who is guilty of this.
    It is simply an edited webnovel which is a rarity.
    I would argue that Kingdom's Bloodline has a better story but you need to wait 20 chapters for the protagonist to answer a question he was asked or take a step forward. I recall a chapter spent on one question
    Two people answering a question with another question for the whole chapter. It was so annoying since they were asking THE SAME FREAKING QUESTION!!

5. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I think I’d love if Emperor Roselle was the MC hahaha

He also didn’t have the gray fog cheat managing to rely only on himself to reach the peak. Would’ve made a pretty interesting mc.

Fulminata and SamStrike like this.
  6. Frau Benham

Frau Benham Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Roselle would be like every other mc from novels lol. No wonder then that you don't like Klein when you prefer Roselle as mc (thank god he is not)

Delerator likes this.
  7. deathcoy

deathcoy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm with OP on this. Don't really like Klein. Something about him triggers my annoyance.

Also don't like Emperor Roselle, during his earlier years.
    BUT, towards his later years when he has a family, children and discover more about the dark facts about sequence 0, above the sequence, outer gods etc, he changed a lot, he MATURED a LOT.

His story feels SO human. He feels SO human.

His thoughts, his fears, his actions were so realistic. He starts to worry about his family and especially his children. He has a lot of regrets on his life choices. He worries for the future of his family and his people. He is assailed by threats within and without on all sides. He tries his best to counter them but he is only human, he makes mistakes, he gets deceived but learns from it and use it against his enemies. He accepts the fact that he can't save everyone not even his love ones so he faces dilemmas and has to make tough decisions and choices where its lose-lose(cut losses) or the lesser evil. He knows that even if he is a god he will still be powerless against certain things. He has to go through real struggles and obstacles as he is fighting the unknown and the greatest fear is the fear of the unknown. He is constantly fighting and struggling in the dark unlike other MCs who has the entire plotline revealed to them and protected/supported by infinite plot armor. He realized the truth of the world goes deeper and more unreachable than he thought. He had to take great risks(REAL risks) that are a danger to both himself and those around him which doesn't always turn out a success. He knows that everything has a price and success is measured with the blood of your enemies, your own people and yourself. He doesn't always win and at times has to take heavy losses like the death of those close to him or failed expeditions and operations. Despite that he still picks himself up and move on. He turns from a delusional self proclaimed protagonist into a real man.

Believe it or not, the few diary pages of Emperor Roselle has more character development than 1000+ chapters of Klein. Furthermore unlike Klein, he doesn't have ridiculous plot armor. I absolutely hated Emperor Roselle at beginning as he is the typical cliche Isekai MC, but his later diary pages changed my mind.

Emperor Roselle was awaken to the brutal reality of the world where he is not the protagonist, he does not have plot armor or plot conveniences to aid him. Thats the turning point that made his character so good. That makes his character more human, relatable, a three dimensional and well crafted character.

He is NOT the cliche isekai MC. Klein on the other hand, is actually the real typical cliche isekai MC.
    Klein's story is the Disney 'Fairy Tale' of a transmigration story but Roselle's story is the brutal truth and reality of a transmigration story.

Read Emperor Roselle's diary in chronological order, you'll understand.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Fulminata likes this.
  8. Muspon

Muspon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everybody here opinion matters but my opinion is that everything here made my brain hurt on how bad these takes are

9. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, i was expecting Klein to experience a decent level of growth by the end of the novel. That's why i was very surprised to see the abrupt ending of the novel.
    And yes, i agree that Roselle would make a more interesting MC.

deathcoy likes this.