Question Any website like novelupdates but for non-east asian books?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by foscor70, Oct 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foscor70

foscor70 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont say goodreads. Its a laggy, congested, ugly piece of shit. Its so useless it has no advance search functions. You cannot filter anything.

I want something like NU or MU (bakaupdates) or anime-planet. I want advance search functions where I can search through books by applying filters like including/excluding genre, tags, status etc.

Thanks.

2. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    Novelupdates is a one of a kind site just compare it to Mangaupdates and you'll see why. Plus not many are too privy to reading tags that kinda spoil the novel. It's present in NU because some people want to be warned beforehand if a novel has tragedy, ntr, etc in a simple manner because the whole genre of eastern online novel thrives off of simplicity.

People who don't read asian novels would probably find these tags weird and spoilerish.

natsume142 and Maomaomao like this.
  3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU works because of how niche it is. I'd imagine a site for non-east lit would easily balloon into the mess goodreads is.

4. Nao Otosaka

Nao Otosaka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try Wattpad maybe?

nightcore34 and Maomaomao like this.
  5. Marfi09

Marfi09 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reddit. There are different subs like r/books, r/RomanceBooks, r/booksuggestions, r/suggestmeabook. But you cant search there. You have to ask for it or see through previous posts.

6. Maomaomao

Maomaomao Cardboard cutout

Reading List:
    Link
    but it mostly has fanfics and reader inserts

ShioriSai likes this.
  7. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://webfictionguide.com/ Maybe? It has a list of web fictions and web serials like Worm, The Practical Guide to Evil and much, much more. It doesn't really feature advanced search though, only filter by genre/tags and whether a novel is complete. These are all original content and not translated like NU has though. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

8. dzymmer

dzymmer {LURKER}{Ghost}

Reading List:
    Link
    Google it first pls~
    There are tons of novel websites to see but you need to really look for it in ads and suggestions.
    I know some but I can't really remember the names.

9. Itsmedanieltheone

Itsmedanieltheone Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Royal Road (sorry, can't post links yet) has some good novels I follow. Well, it's not a 'hub' that collects web novels, but there's quite a lot of them. There's a post on this forum with similar sites as well at the top, so you could check that out as well.

10. zebruism

zebruism ▪︎z̷e̷b̷r̷a̷

Reading List:
    Link
    Errrrr, I dont know maybe mobile9.com I guess. Way back Ive read epubs there but mostly commercial books like from Coleen Hoover but havent visited it in years tho. XD

11. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I wish goodreads was like novelupdates

Since i really want a tag system (even their genres categories are chaotic)

12. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally despise tags. I understand why people like them, but it's absurd to me personally. A story is a story, and I don't want to have it categorized besides its genre. A book if completed, shouldn't be spoiled like that, and if ongoing should have the freedom to develop as a story. Like whats the point labeling something tragedy? Sure its convenient for people, when ur looking for something specific to read but it ruins the book as an art piece. So for web novels that aren't too serious and are more casual, like a lot of stuff on here, tags are fine but not for serious stuff.

13. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    RoyalRoad has advanced searching for its novels...

But generally I don't think you will go far with this.

Best bet is to find reading lists of other people on Goodreads with what you're searching for.

If I remember correctly, in the goodreads page of a book you can find reading lists with that book inside and similar books to it. It's not great, but it's a start...

That said, if you come across a better option, do speak up, I would be very interested in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.