Discussion How come all the novels on webnovel site has more than 4 star?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sahs228, Oct 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sahs228

sahs228 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know webnovel bump its rating, but why is it that almost all the worst novels on the webnovel site has more than 4 stars. I wanted to find a novel to read, but each and every one of those high rated novel were not that good. mostly were fanfic of other good novels and badly written or mostly were just bad mtl ones that could not be read.
    what is the deal with webnovel? this way of doing things can't be kept up! Don't they think of their reputation?

otaku31 likes this.
  2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought their reputation was already rock bottom? Rather I'm surprised anyone even uses them still.

3. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try to look for the novels on here and read the bad reviews first. And the look at the good reviews. I think this place have a better system.

Gitami and sahs228 like this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause the translator can remove bad reviews. I know myself, I left a bad review, no cursing or anything like that and next day it was gone.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Posted in the wrong sub-forum. Mods, please move it to the Daily Laughs~ thread. :blobrofl:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  6. RyreGruel

RyreGruel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I still use Webnovel with 10 different accounts just to read all the stories I want on their site and only choose a new one based on the 3 star or lower reviews. Considering I have a backlog of stories I don’t have spirit stones ,ahem fast passes now (still hate that change), for I think my method works well. But remember always ignore the 5 star reviews because they are pretty useless there.

sahs228 likes this.
  7. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, i remembered that incident too. So, just browse without caring for reviews and judge the book based on the cover/synopsis, and drop them if the novel sucks. Webnovels do have some nice novels hidden in there, so i'm still on it once in a blue moon, when I ran out of books to read.

sahs228 likes this.
  8. PantsuGod

PantsuGod Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just check it based on the latest chapter comments, if they are filled with exp and thank you its a bad novel, if its filled with legits comments its a good one most of the times.

9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I use to do that too, but I found many sites that have all the chapters.

10. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, people, like mr I rotate 10 accounts up above, keep using them. So they know they don't need to worry about their reputation. They can do w.e. they want and people will still just bend over and take it with a smile. If there is no punishment, why WOULDN'T they make every story high rated so they get more clicks generated. Doesn't matter if it ruins your experience, so long as they get traffic they keep making money, and no one has the sensibility to just boycott the corrupt fucks.

sahs228 and TamaSaga like this.
  11. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not one of people who rated novel in that platform

12. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why people here seem to hate webnovel to the point of ignoring novels on webnovel. In fact, webnovel originates from the largest webnovel company, qidian, in china and thus a lot of webnovel author's first or well-considered choice would be webnovel. Among a large pile of trash, one would find gold and diamond, the larger the trash pile, the more gold it would have. And thus, a lot of my favourite novels are on webnovel, ie Reverend Insanity.
    A popular novel which a lot of people claim to be the best novel they have read, Lord of the Mysteries, was also translated on webnovel.

They also have a lot of other good novels, considering that a lot of trash also exists.

I personally don't care whether its on webnovel or wuxiaworld or wherever. if its on webnovel and it's behind a lock. Solution? Simple. Pirate it. That's what I do and there's not a shortage of pirate sites at all.

About the rating thing, I used webnovel for a while when I only had 1 novel I read there, making it easy to use a pass or stones. And webnovel sets daily tasks, which done can give rewards, passes, exp, etc. And one of them is a "review task" which simply needs user to make a review, and being webnovel, they for somereason set it so that one user could make as many review as they want. So readers who like novels, to complete tasks, would go to a novel they like, and give it 5 stars or whatever. A person who doesn't like the novel would rate it 1 star once and move on, while people who like it would rate it multiple times.
    And since rating is an average, its not hard to see how the rating would get boosted up.

Regarding deleted reviews, it doesn't make a lot of difference unless its a lot, and unless a novel is doing really badly, I don't see why they would resort to such a move to salvage the rating so that new readers would not ignore it for the low rating.

In conclusion, I hate webnovel and pirate the novels there I like and they don't matter that much to me, and I have never been a person to straight up ignore a novel for its low rating unless it really is terrible ie 1/10. Its undeniable that they have good novels in them though.

Someone mentioned webnovel not caring for its reputation, I don't think they give a single shit about that. Most of their income is from their qidian parent company which has a lot more Chinese readers, incomparable to the English readers. So being such a difference, they have no reason to care. Heck, some really good novels there I liked even got dropped by TL because it wasn't making enough money for webnovel.

13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You weren't here when Qidian talked about creating webnovel here and what sort of shitstorm happened.

drollawake and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  14. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    what happened?

15. MiyaMira

MiyaMira Jobseeking Sloth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Certified Imouto

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Still waiting for the day Jinjiang will create the english version of their website:sushi_peak::sushi_peak::sushi_peak:

16. sahs228

sahs228 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, thanks for the input guys.
    Actually, i am at that point which, reading novels has become like a drug, but finding good stuff is really rare these days, every day i read some webnovels and drop them in 2 to 5 chapters. It has become too tedious.
    I got into webnovels by reading wuxiaworld ones, and i got into eastern fantasy and xianxia stuff.
    but now, all the new "good" ones on webnovel are the same. cliques of cultivation, some face slapping, some "struggle" , boom he is OP as F. no challenges , no storyline, nothing challenging, etc. and almost all the MCs are little shiits, that every things becomes whatever they want. there is no difference characteristic from other webnovel MCs. The worst ones are, Chinese propaganda ones, which they are the best and any other race want to kill them.
    Therefore, I got really frustrated from it all, and i started to read some scribble hub and royalroad, which is better concepts but mostly amateurish writing or storytelling. but still better than webnovel.
    if you guys have any recent webnovel suggestions, please tell.

17. RyreGruel

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand completly about it being like a drug since I found them about five years ago I too have addicted.

In regards to suggestions have you read Chrysalis (its an original on webnovel) and its great, doesn't seem to have any of the flaws you mentioned above, and is completely free unlike many others on there.

Samuel_Winchester and sahs228 like this.
  18. RyreGruel

Reading List:
    Link
    Also if somehow you haven't read everyone else is a returnee yet that ones fantastic :D

I always recommend this or reincarnated as a slime lol.

19. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the general consensus of this thread was people telling you not to read on webnovel.

This is my exact point. If you want a better experience stop giving them business. I hate my entire generation, pay to win garbage as far as the eye can see, businesses completely throwing reputation to the wind for a quick buck but everyone still using them the next week. These people live so dependent on the service they they threw out the one true voice capitalism gives us... Where we put money. If there is no longer a threat of income loss, then our system fails. Loss of income was the replacement for a conscience that corporations can't have. Stop throwing it away.

20. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    a large part of those longer novels that are translated there were originally fan translated but when qidian arrived they took all said translations without warning
    and in 90% of the translation caused a huge drop in quality and expected us to thank and pay them for it.

or the time they send a cease and desist letter to wuxiaworld for a novel they where translating even when wuxiaworld had the rights to the novel. (i don't know how it ended)

and like said earlier
    the biggest anyonce most people have is how shitty their translations are.
    there are exceptions but there are plenty of novels that seem barely above machine translations and they dare to ask money for that!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.