Discussion Asians, how do you feel about this video? Link inside

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ATrueStory, Jul 31, 2020.

1. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL , you are triggered on using just spoon. People in my country eat rice using hands( fingers basically). It is not due to poverty or lack of education but due either habit or cultural thing or are comfortable eating that way. Though most use just spoon. Fork is also seldom used just for eating noodles or used to pick salads or fruit.
    Also you can eat mouthful using spoon and hand at a time. and most Indian can open mouth pretty wide
    North Indian uses hand pretty often and that is because of our food chappati which is flatbread made of flour is almost impossible to eat any other way. BTW , Most people do wash their hand with soap before eating.
    here for you eating using hands and on leaves. -That is pretty common in south india.

Aquaa likes this.
  2. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Many people I know that came from Africa (coworkers and refugees from north to middle countries) put all the food in a big plate in the middle of the table and everybody eat with his hands taking stuff to their plate or directly in their mouth, (I was quite put off by this the first time I saw it (but I did still eat it because I'm a polite guy and some really put a lot of efforts and money to make it as a thanks... but it still was quite harsh), and I still find this very unhygienic, especially nowadays, but it's a cultural habit so I don't think they'll stop doing this anytime soon, some even say that there is a correct hand to do it and you're not supposed to use your left hand or more than three fingers (only the thumb plus the index and middle finger) and are really adamant about it :blob_catflip: .

Thankfully some use flat bread or boiled root mashed in a rough ball shape as some kind of spoon, I find it way easier and better as strong tasting foods goes well with a blander staple.

3. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw this on FB as well! Yeah it's bad, real bad :O

4. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true. I forgot that scenario. But they usually have fork by the side in that case. At least that was the case in the restraints I visited. Though it its a bit of a pain to use more than 2 pieces of cutlery. :)

5. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    You should never go to a full blown gastronomic full course restaurant then, more than 4 pieces of cuttlery on the right, top and left side of the plate (with at least 2 or 3 plates), a lot of glasses, and no usefull pamphlet anywhere near on the table to help you know which one you should use and when... :blobflag:

kkchaitu likes this.
  6. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, nice! In the past decade or two, in India farming has increasingly been looked down on and its increasingly difficult for farmers to actually produce food due to various reasons. Also due to the fact that they don't make much money, they sell their farmland for development and move away from farming. Though totally unrelated to this topic, I am afraid that in a decade or two, we will have food shortage due to lack of farmland and/or farmers.

No, what I meant about Asians is that I have come across some folks in the US that consider only China to be part of Asia and not India or some other countries. Though they know according to the map that the countries are part of Asia. It happened enough that I am trigged by it sometimes. Nothing against you or China :). I just don't want people to forget there are more countries in the Asian continent, that is all. I don't understand the /s part.

I completely agree but it looks like either the target audience is different or she didn't have enough experience or didn't think of to mention that possibly :). Anyway, I agree mention that would be better given that there so many kinds of rice. Also there are so many kinds of ingredients across the world that travelers brought to different countries and they grow different enough that its probably best to mention those regional changes. This happened with some things like basil which grown in India is different from the one from say US or other parts of Europe. Its generally a good idea for the cook to mention those as long as he/she are knowledgeable

I agree with part of this argument. This is like a chicken-egg problem IMO. At what point do would it be possible to consider the dish ok if its made differently? What is considered authentic changes based on the experience of the people and that changes with time. Like the taste that you recall might not be remembered perfectly :). So I try not to be too hung up. But then there are some dishes that are personal to me due to various experiences in my life and if I do have to eat those, I would rather have them taste the way I recall. So I get what you are saying. Like for example, when American restraints make biryani, it tastes nothing like the biryani I have had and I point that out vehemently :). But then that experience can be crutch at times as well. For example, biryani in the northern parts of India is made differently from how its made in the south, specifically Hyderabad. I have only eaten biryani in Hyderabad and so when I eat that in other locales, I might not be satisfied. Anyway, long story short, I say try to keep an open mind. :)

Sorry, I was not at a computer the past few days and it took forever to get this out. Anyway, its been interesting discussing cuisine. I hope I have not derailed the thread too much :D.

7. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    non-asian (Aussie) here but popped in because this thread looked interesting. This thread , yet again, confirms that asians take rice really seriously. :blobtongue::blobrofl:

I agree with washing rice before cooking. It seems to cook better and taste better when washed. though my only experiences with cooking rice myself is using a rice cooker for boiled rice accompanying curry or pseudo-stir frys.

On the straining and rinsing of rice post-cooking, i think it's more common for non-asians as it's preferred for the grains not to be clumped together for eating and easier fork usage.

i use fork when eating rice but then i only ever eat rice either as fried rice or when it's accompanying something like curry. It's a difference in eating culture.

8. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I asked my mom, and she washes the rice first and then boils it and drains it at the end...I think. But I'm pretty sure most Indians wash their rice before cooking so idk maybe that's her thing. Except for the washing bit, her way of cooking is pretty standard for non-southeast asians since they don't like their rice clumped up, and they use diff types of rice as well. Ex. Basmati Rice.

I've been eating with my hands since I was little, and as long you keep yourself clean, its not unhygienic at all imo. I eat mostly bread with my hands, and rice...usually I'll eat it with a spoon but u can eat with hands as well. I eat with spoons, forks, chopsticks, and my hands. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

But wow everyone is really worked up about rice....sure I eat it a lot but I didn't even know how to cook it until I saw this thread and asked my mom. :blobrofl::blobrofl: Bread > Rice

9. Ginko Biloba

Ginko Biloba [♤Blackjack Sect Mascot♤] [☆100MB SPAMMER☆]

Reading List:
    Link
    But you gotta admit you can grab more rice if you use spoon and at the same time you can put vegetables and meat in your mouth with the rice together.

Boogiepop_PK likes this.
  10. Ginko Biloba

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Boogiepop_PK

Boogiepop_PK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I can't argue with that. But I still prefer to use chopstick to eat rice. The Asian Blood in me sometimes just refuse to accept silverware being used to eat rice. :blobcat_rawr::blobcat_rawr:

Ginko Biloba likes this.
  12. Ginko Biloba

Reading List:
    Link
    Silverware is what's used here in my country despite being in asia, an influence brought by colonization. But doesn't change the fact that we do love rice. And I think we could agree that no matter what utensils you use to eat a meal is not a proper meal without rice!

Boogiepop_PK likes this.
  13. Boogiepop_PK

Boogiepop_PK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I AGREE. RICE IS LOVE. RICE IS LIFE.

Ginko Biloba likes this.
  14. Ginko Biloba

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll repeat it cause important things should be said more than once.

RICE IS LOVE. RICE IS LIFE.
    RICE IS LOVE. RICE IS LIFE.

Snowbun and Boogiepop_PK like this.
  15. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    crazy ppl ...

its pretty presumptuous to tell others how to cook and eat their food or what tools to use for it

chill ppl they cook it, they eat it and if they like it what does it matter to you you dont need to eat it or cook it that way

do you want the europeans come over and beat you over the way you brew your beer ?
    just take pizza the way its made in most countries might sound crazy for italians
    still you wouldnt find a "pizza police" advocating that their way is the only way ...

Saorihirai likes this.
  16. Ghost87

Ghost87 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so, I watched the video and her are my thoughts:
    1. OMG SHE DIDNT WASH THE DAMN RICE!!!!!
    2. Why is cooking the rice in a pot ( or whatever that is called ) don't you have a rice cooker….?
    3. " Some people are afraid to cook rice " ……………. Wth
    4. the oil she poured in to cook the eggs was a bit too little for me
    5. why is she using a fork to eat it if you have spoons...? There is nothing wrong to eat with a fork but that's not how u do it...

Other than that great recipe and the presentation of the food was nice too, and I would love to try this recipe....bu like immma use a rice cooker and wash the rice too...

17. Starmiya

Starmiya [Modern Vampire][In Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 and as I am not a great cook so I always ask my mom if this is okay or that is okay or is it properly cooked???

18. zebruism

zebruism ▪︎z̷e̷b̷r̷a̷

Reading List:
    Link

Sad to say, I witness these on my day to day living -- I work in a European hospitality industry then one day there was a dish related to rice so I was very intrigued on how they made it.
    - Big pot
    -a half sack of rice
    -then water and salt

and I was like wait what? and then, some people whose the same nationalities as mine was like, grinning with my shocked face and said,
    "yes. yes, they did."

after that everytime they cooked rice, I'll be like closing my eyes and pretend to never see anything.

Regarding with the finger technique, like every asian kids was told to master it when theyre young XD its our so called invisible ruler kinda thing XD

19. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm terrified!!!

WHY YOU NO WASH THE RICE?!?!?!
    WHY YOU DRAIN IT AFTER YOU COOK IT!?!?!?! ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE NOT MAKING PORRIDGE!?!?!?!
    WHY YOU WASH IT AFTER YOU COOK!!!! ARE THERE ANY MEANING AT ALL!!!!

OnceandFutureLurker likes this.