LCD The Second Coming of Gluttony

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shield Loyalist, Sep 26, 2018.

?

Which is strongest?

1. banana

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. ramen

104 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. lilac

32 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. naengmyeon

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Haitaka

Haitaka [Always Busy]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure. You may be right, but at least considering how everyone else has acted on Paradise up to this point his behavior definitely wasn't "normal", which is why I included the commas lol

I do think a lot of people are quick to kill, but at least with the ones we've seen they're definitely been the minority. But in an IRL situation I wouldn't really know. I think some people definitely would, but most would probably be terrified at least imo.

2. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well ya most people wouldnt, but thats only if they werent as strong as he is. i think a lot of people would behave in a somewhat similar way if they had the power to back it up liks Sung did. but i see what you mean

Haitaka likes this.
  3. Bshadow4

Bshadow4 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SS is a shallow parody of a Wuxia MC and he knows it. If he were slightly less of a callous man-child, he could easily be the MC of any other series. Between him and Black Seol though, their attitude towards humanity is essentially the same. If Seo Yuhui had been killed by an Earthling/Paradisian plot instead of SS, Black Seol would’ve definitely defected as well. Little Chick says it straight up. Seol’s disposition is at best chaotic neutral, just a hair away from SS’s chaotic evil.

Hao Win and Kim Hannah really did save Seol’s ass when it comes to team management. Can you imagine Carpe Diem/Valhalla dealing with politics and justifying their attack on Eva's criminals without them? Thankfully, we get to see Seol grow into his role as a “King” through the choices he makes and their impact on his future. This linking of past and the future events without losing consistency and relevance is my favorite thing about novels tbh, and SCoG does it really well.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Shield Loyalist likes this.
  4. Tarrian

Tarrian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There but for the grace of god go I...

In truth, Seol was one bad day, one bad decision away from taking Black Seol or Sung Shihyun's path. The difference, however, is the choices he made along the way.

Yes, he had plenty of people around to support him, to help him, to cover for his shortcomings, but that wasn't blind luck. Ultimately it was because of his choice to abide by his golden rule. That choice led him to saving Flone, to saving that former Empire village chief, to sticking around and saving Pinky, to not sacrificing the fallen angels and earning their grudging respect... etc, etc. He had those people at his side at crucial moments, at the times when he was at his weakest and needed support, all because he chose to do the right thing. Not for profit. Not for any gain. Because it was the truly right thing.

Sung? He saw himself as The Protagonist. Everything should go his way. No one should say anything bad about him. Because he's The Good Guy. But people are petty. People are greedy. They want and desire and covet and scheme, and because of the choices he made he lost the people that could have been there to support him when he needed it. By the time his mother was killed he's already lost the respect of Seo Yuhui and Baek Haeju, If he'd listened, if he'd held back his overweening pride and arrogance as The Protagonist, he would have had the help of the two other most powerful people in Paradise at the time. Anyone else was already scheming against him, afraid of him, or thought he was scum, but the three of them could have pulled through.

He deserves no pity, because he chose to take the path that led him to destruction. Reap what you sow.

5. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, that’s exactly it. It’s like the process of how Seol became who he is now. His heroics at the beginning like saving the fortress or befriending Flone were only small ripples, but he kept piling them on one another until he became an influence that could no longer be ignored. Numerous small changes that eventually led to this huge conclusion of overturning fate.

Sung piled on mistake after mistake, and that led to his “one bad day”. That’s pretty much it. It’s interesting that showing a person what their own temperament is was likely a method the Seven Sins gave Earthlings to change their fates; to know if their personal biases and character defects are influencing their decisions too much. A way to examine themselves objectively. Sung Shihyun and Yun Seohui had a mirror to look at themselves objectively, but they ignored it and it led to the ruin of Paradise/their downfalls. Seol was confronted by his shortcomings, his weak will and his lack of talent, but he chose to challenge himself because he did not want to remain that way.

6. Haitaka

Haitaka [Always Busy]

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda just love the fact that this is the discussion that came out of the last chapter lol. Psychoanalysis of characters is a lot of fun for me personally, and the fact that we each acknowledge the same things but interpret them differently is so cool to me

7. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what a great chapter with the romance id been waiting for, even if it was very little. also i love how casual and natural it was when it was mentioned he was carried over to teresa's bedroom for the other day lol. shes the best

8. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Two neighborhood moms achieved success with their arranged marriage.

Oh I hope the oldie from Tutorial is still alive. His explanation about the three last things in the Status is splendid.

9. Kii

Kii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [Tsk, I know he’s my son, but I just don’t get it. How can he think about making a joke like that in that situation?]

-thinks back to after the parasite orc expedition where he pranks Chohong into thinking he lost his memory.

Yep, Jihu being jihu as usual with his unique common sense

Shield Loyalist and Bshadow4 like this.
  10. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A T-back, huh... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

11. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    That 4-way wrestle though

12. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now were getting to the juicy non parasite pot stuff. im curious how he handles all the romantic relationships though. to me Yuhui has clearly become the number 1 based on all we've seen and read but i could see a scenario where if he doesnt tell is family about paradise ever or invite them over after the war when its peaceful he decides to have Seonhwa be his "wife" to his family since they're still so close to her and hides the other relationships hes made through paradise from them. personally im hoping he just comes clean to his family though, id love to see there reaction when they here everything about paradise and all the females around him including a ghost and a princess lol.

13. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Servant appears!!!

...soon.

14. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How many chapters are left?

15. EmptyBox

EmptyBox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    31 chapters left until the end of the main plotline + 60 chapters of side stories.

FussyBadger likes this.
  16. Midnight2630

Midnight2630 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow, there´s only 29 chapters left. (+ side stories)
    It´s time for me to start reading again, i have 53 chapter to read now. (ENVY ME, MORTALS!)

17. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So Flone is the first Servant. I suppose Seol probably won’t fill out all 5 positions, so maybe we can expect only 1 or 2 more to take up the spots.

Im guessing the reason why Flone can just swallow up all these ghosts is because of the Authority of Gluttony? Though, we never really saw any of the other Executors or Agnes use any sin-related powers.

18. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think we saw it in the battle where they killed the first Army Commander. But I'm going purely by memory on that one.

19. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only remember Cinzia summoning Valkyries to fight for her. And I think Agnes just did her usual spider web attacks?

20. EmptyBox

EmptyBox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't look like we are going to see Black Jihu again in the Path of Soul. I wanted to see him interacting with the Valhalla crew.